Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.13.2017, 12:05 PM   #4781
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
next time you should compare it with ulysses!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/bo...iction-ulysses

i gotta run but will look into it some more
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2017, 12:07 PM   #4782
sonikdeathmonkey
little trouble girl

sonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
The Cultural Dictionary of Punk '74-'81 by Nicholas Rhombes, He has a great write write up about Sonic Youth and their "pretensiousness" questioning if that even matters. Sly,smart and funny as hell...
sonikdeathmonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2017, 12:27 PM   #4783
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, but each book is only like 100 pages! Jesus! Just read the thing! It’s all supposed to be one book anyway. Cripes!

It’s the fact that you read such heavy material that I know you are up to it. It’s because of that that I recommended it to you. I told you, I’ve only met one other person who’s finished it.

Anyway. Fucking Christmas bitch.

Jeez, you do this all the time. Chill and try not to come across as such an autist. People have lives, they do and read other shit that you might not want them to and that's fine. CONSTANTLY banging on at someone to read a book, listen to an album or whatever (which you do. All the time) doesn't do anyone any favours. Just breathe.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2017, 01:06 PM   #4784
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
LOU REED
by
Anthony DeCurtis

Kinda brief at around 400 pages. VU doesn't even get a full hundred.

Still, it's cool he assumes the reader already knows a lot. He spends time confirming or denying juicy rumors, but otherwise tries to focus on new ground.

Still, Lou was always elusive, and I'm not sure this book manages to explain him in any deep way. An enjoyable read, but I don't feel closer to understanding who the man really was.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2017, 09:24 PM   #4785
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Jeez, you do this all the time. Chill and try not to come across as such an autist. People have lives, they do and read other shit that you might not want them to and that's fine. CONSTANTLY banging on at someone to read a book, listen to an album or whatever (which you do. All the time) doesn't do anyone any favours. Just breathe.

Dude, it’s all in good fun. Rob and I have been chatting about this since 2015 (2014?) and he knows I’m gonna ask him every once in a while. I think I’ve asked twice this year.

Do I do this all the time? Not really. Yeah, I have badgered NR for not reading SAGA, and for not listening to TLOP. But that’s twice. Is that all the time? I don’t know.

I am chill. I am chill. I am chill. I am chill. (Breathe) I am chill.

You guys all know I’m a neurotic, anxiety-ridden, sleepless, guilty Catholic workaholic with a big ball of unraveling string in my head at all times. Let me have this one thing. Let me harp on people for not doing what they said they are gonna do. I beg you. I beg you.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2017, 09:35 PM   #4786
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
LOTR makes LOTR look basic!

so what you’re saying is... potshots are free for all?

as for that book i think if he loved it as much as he said he would have continued

one time i skipped an organic chemistry exam because i was way too deep into a cortázar book (hopscotch). i fucking lied to the teacher, claimed i was sick.

i can’t read cortázar these days anymore but when i got the bug i got the bug and i got it bad.

im gonna go look at the first pages of this book you say and see if it’s true. but if LOTR is your benchmark... i don’t know.

LOTR is not my benchmark, I just think it’s probably the most famous series in the history of sci-fi or fantasy. Fair? It’s also a damn good boom (“Fellowship...” was always my favorite, and I got a huge kick out of “Silmarillion,” which is much closer to BOTNS than the actual LOTR series. I was just trying to come up with an example of a SF/Fantasy book that’s universally renowned and a veritable literary classic.

Gene Wolfe’s world-building puts Tolkien’s to shame. And it’s not just this one book... Book of the New Sun begat Book of the Long Sun — another four-volume masterpiece that takes place in the same “universe” but is not a sequel — the book that NPR called the #1 science-fiction/Fantasy book of all time (BOTNS was #3, even though it’s objectively better). And Book of the Long Sun begat Book of the Short Sun, a direct sequel to Long Sun which gets hella weird, even for this author, and acts as both a sequel and a prequel to BOTNS.

But yes, in terms of actual complexity and originality, BOTNS is definitely more like Ulysses than it is like LOTR, which might as well be the Princess Bride for how it measures up to this behemoth.

These books, by Gene Wolf, are equal parts Dickens, James Joyce and ... honestly, I can’t think of anything else that fits. Lovecraft maybe?

¼ Dickens, ¼ Joyce, ¼ Lovecraft, ¼ the fucking Bible.

I just want someone to talk to about it.

ETA: Rob did love the first novella volume of BOTNS. He has a review of it on his site. It’s called “Shadow of the Torturer.” Problem is, he has no clue what the book is about yet.
Old 11.13.2017, 09:37 PM   #4787
Severian
invito al cielo

For the record, I asked Rob to recommend me a book he adored that I’d never read, and promised to read it while he read BOTNS. He never recommended anything. Said he had to think about it. Two years ago. Point is, I was willing to work for this!
Old 11.13.2017, 09:45 PM   #4788
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
next time you should compare it with ulysses!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/bo...iction-ulysses

i gotta run but will look into it some more

Did you read this? It’s a pretty concise little write-up of the first half of the book, but it leaves out SO much. If you’re interested, maybe you should read the thing.
Old 11.13.2017, 09:58 PM   #4789
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i red a few paragraphs on the amazon look inside thing and they weren’t bad paragraphs. that was a good sign. i might read that some day, “torturer apprentice severian.” lol.

thing is im in full business mode at the moment so this is what i’m about to start reading:

oooooh yeah. fuck entertainment ha ha ha ha. and fantasy. i want a good steak!
Old 11.14.2017, 08:04 AM   #4790
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i red a few paragraphs on the amazon look inside thing and they weren’t bad paragraphs. that was a good sign. i might read that some day, “torturer apprentice severian.” lol.

thing is im in full business mode at the moment so this is what i’m about to start reading:

Was the first chapter "Get rid of the sports channels"?

Old 11.14.2017, 09:36 AM   #4791
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:

Finished this yesterday and it really was just brilliant. There was a load of stuff about the FALN the Puerto Rican liberation terrorist, paramilitary, freedom fighters, whatever you wanna call them, which made me think of Rob Instigator. Some of the stuff that happened in the 70's that is now pretty much forgotten about is insane. What baffles me is that the media played up the idea that terrorist acts in America only started with WTC.

I honestly can't recommend it any higher.

Next up I'm gonna plug this gap in my knowledge of ancient Rome.

Old 11.14.2017, 09:58 AM   #4792
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Was the first chapter "Get rid of the sports channels"?
ha ha ha ha

no!

it’s about good management at work, not destroying your life outside of work
Old 11.14.2017, 12:36 PM   #4793
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

^ that looks like something I should read.
Getting things done is all I do and all I worry about doing.
Old 11.15.2017, 12:31 PM   #4794
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

My mom went to school with, and was involved politically, with the people that went to DC from Puerto Rico and shot up congress and tried to assassinate Ford. crazy shit.
Old 11.15.2017, 01:25 PM   #4795
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
My mom went to school with, and was involved politically, with the people that went to DC from Puerto Rico and shot up congress and tried to assassinate Ford. crazy shit.

For real? I know you said your parents were politically active relating to that. Didn't know to what level.

The bit that got me the most was reading about the FALN's bomb expert William Morales. From a bomb exploding in his hands and taking 9 of his fingers (among other things) to his prison break. What was interesting is how still no one is really willing to open up about them.

Old 11.15.2017, 01:43 PM   #4796
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Many of the Puerto Rican attackers were pardoned.
Old 11.15.2017, 02:12 PM   #4797
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Many of the Puerto Rican attackers were pardoned.

Aye they were. But I'm relating to interviews etc. The author of the book managed to get interviews with every level of groups from the Weatherman, to the BLA, but the FALN seemed to be the hardest one to get interviews with. Pardons or not.

I do wonder if anything like the FALN will happen again. Especially with the way Trump has been with Puerto Rico. Do you reckon there will?

Old 11.17.2017, 01:08 PM   #4798
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Finished Rick Strassman's DMT: The Spirit Molecule http://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2017/1...ibilities.html
Old 11.17.2017, 03:32 PM   #4799
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
started this

Kelman does great dialog
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2017, 02:47 PM   #4800
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Well I've started this beast. It'd been sat on my shelf unread for far too long and needed reading. So far it's actually great, and it's certainly a lot more readable than I expected it to be. However, I already know that given the amount of characters introduced it's gonna get confusing real quick.

190230237238239 240 241242243250290 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth