Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page nyctaper apologizes
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.13.2007, 12:11 PM   #1
danlynch
empty page

danlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's asses
Not sure if any of you really care about this:
http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=54

Sonic Youth Revisted - nyctaper’s mea culpa

By nyctaper

When I was denied entry with taping equipment (ticket in hand) into Sonic Youth’s July 28 concert at the McCarren Pool in Brooklyn, I left the venue with the belief that the band had reneged on an email that permitted access to record. I arrived back in Manhattan tired, sweating, and pissed, and wrote an ill-advised rant blaming the band, and in particular Lee Ranaldo, for what transpired.
That rant was unfortunately reposted in several places on the web, and as a result, nyctaper has had many email, forum, and in person discussions with people about the situation. Several of those people spoke directly with Lee Ranaldo about what happened, and to his eternal credit Lee has expressed regret about what happened to me at the gate, has expressed no anger towards my rant, and has quite clearly stated that no security person spoke to him about my situation.
At this point, it has become obvious to me that I was jerked around by the security personnel at McCarren Pool, and that Sonic Youth and Lee Ranaldo were the unwitting victims of my misdirected anger.
And for that, I offer my sincere apologies to Sonic Youth, their soundman Aaron Mullan, and in particular to Lee Ranaldo.
I have learned a few lessons as a result of this fiasco–namely, don’t trust venue security above the musicians, don’t publish to your blog something written in the heat of anger, and that quite clearly, Sonic Youth are extremely cool people. Support them. Please.
Buy the re-issue of Daydream Nation by clicking the link below:

Additionally, Thurston Moore is playing two local NYC gigs in the next couple of weeks (click dates to buy tickets):
September 24, at Maxwell’s in Hoboken
September 26, at the Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn
Purchase Thurston Moore’s brand new album by clicking the link below:
danlynch is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2007, 12:22 PM   #2
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
hmm, yes. you had to be pretty angry that you weren't let in. why you didn't "smuggle" in your gear? or have you actually try and that's when you were caught?

ehrmm. so, are you going to record Thurston's show(s) in NY for us?
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2007, 12:29 PM   #3
danlynch
empty page

danlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's assesdanlynch kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't go stealth because I thought I had permission to take my full rig into the show.

Re, Thurston shows:
I have another concert on the 24th, so that's out. I might go on the 26th, but you know, I still feel like a royal asshole about this--I don't have the gall to approach Thurston about permission and I'm not going to
sneak in gear and post a recording without permission.
Old 09.13.2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
yea!
but first of all, you greenlight, share the paris show otherwise ill have to kill you!

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2007, 12:46 PM   #5
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
yea!
but first of all, you greenlight, share the paris show otherwise ill have to kill you!

i wil, i will, just gimme some time will ya? no, I'm joking. it's just (you wouldn't believie) my comp. has retired, so I had to buy a new one (couple days ago). new problems occured. it's running on vista. audacity vs. vista is bit weird situation now. vista giving me as a recording device only microphone input, which sucks big time, coz I can't transfer gig from my MD to the comp, well I can but sound quality is just horrible. HAVE To buy an external soundcard because of POXY VISTA or I might install good old windows XP....Anyway....patience Bal .
Old 09.13.2007, 12:50 PM   #6
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlynch
I didn't go stealth because I thought I had permission to take my full rig into the show.

Re, Thurston shows:
I have another concert on the 24th, so that's out. I might go on the 26th, but you know, I still feel like a royal asshole about this--I don't have the gall to approach Thurston about permission and I'm not going to
sneak in gear and post a recording without permission.

see, you don't like to stealth it. then I understand. Thurston wouldn't have a problem with it by the way....I think, even if you wouldn't ask. but somebody from venue might. I don't know.
Old 09.13.2007, 01:07 PM   #7
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not going to the music hall show because its run by the same assdrips who run Bowery ballroom and Gramercy and they're freakin the worst self loving security twats. Expect a McCarren pool situation regradless of what Thurston says.

Anyone had any experience at the RocknRoll Hotel in WDC?
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2007, 02:42 PM   #8
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
nyctaper - glad you reassessed the whole thing, thats been happening a lot here lately...
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2007, 05:56 PM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlynch
Not sure if any of you really care about this:
http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=54

Sonic Youth Revisted - nyctaper’s mea culpa

By nyctaper

When I was denied entry with taping equipment (ticket in hand) into Sonic Youth’s July 28 concert at the McCarren Pool in Brooklyn, I left the venue with the belief that the band had reneged on an email that permitted access to record. I arrived back in Manhattan tired, sweating, and pissed, and wrote an ill-advised rant blaming the band, and in particular Lee Ranaldo, for what transpired.
That rant was unfortunately reposted in several places on the web, and as a result, nyctaper has had many email, forum, and in person discussions with people about the situation. Several of those people spoke directly with Lee Ranaldo about what happened, and to his eternal credit Lee has expressed regret about what happened to me at the gate, has expressed no anger towards my rant, and has quite clearly stated that no security person spoke to him about my situation.
At this point, it has become obvious to me that I was jerked around by the security personnel at McCarren Pool, and that Sonic Youth and Lee Ranaldo were the unwitting victims of my misdirected anger.
And for that, I offer my sincere apologies to Sonic Youth, their soundman Aaron Mullan, and in particular to Lee Ranaldo.
I have learned a few lessons as a result of this fiasco–namely, don’t trust venue security above the musicians, don’t publish to your blog something written in the heat of anger, and that quite clearly, Sonic Youth are extremely cool people. Support them. Please.
Buy the re-issue of Daydream Nation by clicking the link below:

Additionally, Thurston Moore is playing two local NYC gigs in the next couple of weeks (click dates to buy tickets):
September 24, at Maxwell’s in Hoboken
September 26, at the Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn
Purchase Thurston Moore’s brand new album by clicking the link below:

the good ol days before the internet made tape trading a rather lucrative business..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2007, 12:13 AM   #10
danlynch
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

the good ol days before the internet made tape trading a rather lucrative business..

Interesting comment. Can you point me to those lucrative sites? I'm shelling out tons of money to host huge lossless downloads, and offsetting about 2% of those bandwidth costs with donations (the last one was in July). The ads on the site are commission ads--total offsetting revenue thus far--- $0.00.
I've spent about $1200 on tickets so far this year, my equipment cost me over $10,000 and of course I pay for cable, storage media, transportation, and a handful of other incidental expenses. That's been offset by 2 guest list spots, and one person paying for my ticket (the Figgs show). Oh yeah, and a band actually offered me $100 to tape their show, but it was on a day I was out of town.
This is a very expensive hobby, but I do it because I love music, and I believe in the bands I record. Any suggestion that its a "lucrative business" is laughably absurd.
Old 09.14.2007, 03:25 AM   #11
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think SuchFriends... hinted directly at you with that post. A few days ago on this board we had a discussion about a guy selling Police bootlegs (most likely downloaded from some torrent site such as dime) on his site, and from time to time we laugh at people who buy SY bootlegs off ebay (and some of them were just burned copies of some boarders' recordings, go figure). They're not even the original tapers, so I suppose wasn't an "attack" to you. Anyways, glad you changed your mind on sy, they're pretty nice with tapers, it's just that the security of the venue "overacts" and messes up things (like threathening to steal a friend of mine mini-DV at their gig in Ferrara, fu*kers, we would have a nive dvd of the gig instead of just an audio recording...). Oh and welcome to the board, if you plan to stick around.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2007, 03:23 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
I don't think SuchFriends... hinted directly at you with that post. They're not even the original tapers, so I suppose wasn't an "attack" to you. Anyways, glad you changed your mind on sy, they're pretty nice with tapers, .

correct.

I was referring not to websites that host and sell bootlegs, but rather people one the street who sell bootlegs who get them in one way or the other from the internet.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2007, 05:05 PM   #13
danlynch
empty page

Ok then, we're in the same corner, in terms of the scumbags who sell recordings. Here is my take on the idea that free share through the internet actually destroys the market for the bootleggers:
http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=39
Old 09.15.2007, 11:06 AM   #14
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
i dont see too much of that(street sellers) in NYC, but maybe then again im not really looking. And obviously if all the bootlegs produced in the past are now available for free d/l that pretty much takes the money/profit out of the equation.

i think theres many reasons why some acts dont want their shows recorded and made public. i think sometimes it comes do to just that they dont feel comfortable if they know someone is recording the show. although at this point its a given SOMEONE is recording.

sometimes i hear the arguement that the band gets hurt with their studio album sales or concert sales but i dont really buy into it. if i remember right peter grant the led zep manager was one of those anti-bootleg people. yet, led zep bootlegs were widely available (some record stores in the village under the counter type deal) and yet in their time zep sold shit load of records and all their concerts sold out. same could be said for the who, the dead etc.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2007, 11:33 AM   #15
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgekrz
although at this point its a given SOMEONE is recording.

true, I recorded a couple bands from sbd coz I just mailed them asking for permission and they answered "heck, these days everyone could be recording a live set with shitty cellphones and stuff, why don't give permission to someone who cares enough to ask politely for our approval?".
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth