Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.07.2021, 04:27 PM   #3321
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Is Schitt's Creek any good? I'm always hearing about how epically wonderful it is. Any takers here?
Old 02.07.2021, 04:42 PM   #3322
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
Is Schitt's Creek any good? I'm always hearing about how epically wonderful it is. Any takers here?
nah. derivative and sucky. but give it a try if it's free.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2021, 06:21 PM   #3323
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Sherlock

I thought I'd seen all episodes but must have missed some

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2021, 06:58 PM   #3324
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Sherlock

I've also heard that this show is fucking great.

Discuss.
Old 02.07.2021, 08:14 PM   #3325
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses

Cause I got myself that Disney+ subscription last month. They hook you in with all the acquisitions they've made over the years. The mouse will get us all.

That said - pretty damn fine Mystery show that teeters somewhere between sitcom parody and lynchian horror that happens to star Marvel superheroes. Maybe all those years watching those movies have indoctrinated me, but color me impressed. It's really fucking good and I'm eager to find out where it goes.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2021, 08:20 PM   #3326
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses

Also watching this after years of having little interest in doing so - mostly because the imdb rating seemed comparatively low and because I didn't feel like I could get invested in those agent characters I've never heard of. I was pretty wrong. This is a damn fine show with quality writing and unique characters. Kind of mad it was under my radar for so long. Goes to show to never underestimate Joss Whedon, I guess.

Old 02.08.2021, 11:07 AM   #3327
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon

Also watching this after years of having little interest in doing so - mostly because the imdb rating seemed comparatively low and because I didn't feel like I could get invested in those agent characters I've never heard of. I was pretty wrong. This is a damn fine show with quality writing and unique characters. Kind of mad it was under my radar for so long. Goes to show to never underestimate Joss Whedon, I guess.

I'm also still watching this, which is a quite annoying experience. It's broadcast on TV, but for some dumb reason they broadcast one season, an episode on Sunday late late night. Then after the season is over they will do that same season again on repeat!! And they've been doing that so far with each season. So whenever the new season is finally there, you've forgotten what happened in the previous season. We're now halfway down to season 5, and it took me a couple of episodes to figure out what the hell was happening. Probably by the time I've figured it out completely, the season will be over and they start it from scratch again. AAAAhhhhnnoooyyyiiiinnnnngggggg!!!!!
Anyway, I do like the main characters, but story wise it's sometimes annoying how far fetched the storylines go.

Quote:
Sherlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
I've also heard that this show is fucking great.

Discuss.

The ratings on IMDB are consistently very high, if that matters in any way. But the plusses for me are that it stars Martin Freeman as Dr Watson, and Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock is pretty good too. It's set in modern times (most episodes are anyway), but still keeps the original storylines as they were written ages ago. The length of the episodes are 90 minutes (instead of the regular 50-60), so it's almost like watching a movie.

Minussess: they could have left the whole character of Sherlock's brother out of it for me, it's too distracting from the original stories. But that's me who only started reading all the stories and kind of aborted it on ~a third, so perhaps the brother does get a large part in the stories that I haven't read. (Wikipedia says he only appears in a couple of stories)

Old 02.08.2021, 11:50 AM   #3328
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon

i don't wanna argue with anyone or anything but i had the experience of loving this at the beginning and then quickly getting fed up from it. it just became fucking tiresome. i am sick of dumb "superpowers".

also to note that this might have been joss whedon's idea but it was i think his little brother who ran the show?

anyway for me some great characters were destroyed, some tropes were flogged to death, and the rambling story became ridonculous and tiresome.

maybe it's because this show was subsidiary to the superhero movies and couldn't define things in its own terms? i don't know. i just know that i started "wow, cool" and a couple of seasons later i went "aw, fuck this!"
Old 02.08.2021, 12:07 PM   #3329
_tunic_
invito al cielo

dumb superpowers??? There's a guy in season five that can throw rocks!!!! That's farout man!

Old 02.08.2021, 12:10 PM   #3330
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
dumb superpowers??? There's a guy in season five that can throw rocks!!!! That's farout man!
Old 02.08.2021, 12:53 PM   #3331
Antagon
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i don't wanna argue with anyone or anything but i had the experience of loving this at the beginning and then quickly getting fed up from it. it just became fucking tiresome. i am sick of dumb "superpowers".

also to note that this might have been joss whedon's idea but it was i think his little brother who ran the show?

anyway for me some great characters were destroyed, some tropes were flogged to death, and the rambling story became ridonculous and tiresome.

maybe it's because this show was subsidiary to the superhero movies and couldn't define things in its own terms? i don't know. i just know that i started "wow, cool" and a couple of seasons later i went "aw, fuck this!"

I'm halfway through Season 3 and I'm still loving it. I actually thought it made some of the movies better by expanding on the universe. For instance, I really liked the setup of Winter Soldier, but (SPOILERS ahead) I was disappointed they resorted to "Oh, S.H.I.E.L.D is only corrupted, because some old super-bad Nazi organization took over. They can't act morally reprehensible on their own". But then I saw the show elaborate on the whole scenario and it seemed more nuanced. I like how it didn't just portray Hydra as simply that old super-bad Nazi-trope. They actually updated it into some sort of concept, almost an allegory, really. It's a mindset that preys on the desires of insecure reactionary types and offers them a narrative makes them feel like they have a purpose. And I thought it excellently portrayed how many S.H.I.E.L.D agents already had that sort of mindset and didn't need much convincing.

I also love how uneasy the relationships between the characters seem to be at any given point. There's a certain tense atmosphere that feels palpable. As for the far-fetched plots: Well, it's a superhero-show. By definition, it already has to be a good bit far-fetched. I still feel like up until now, they made everything seem natural to the world that has been established in that cinematic universe. All within the bounds of suspension of disbelief so far.

I understand getting frustrated with the constant back-and-forth though. Lots of double-,triple-,quadruple-crossing and plenty of fakeout double-crossing. It doesn't always take its time to breathe and may have a bit too many elements from time to time, which indeed can be exhausting. The bare plots, not considering the character dynamics, didn't exactly re-invent the wheel, that's true too. So yeah, that complaint I understand. It didn't ruin my experience though. I feel like my appreciation of the nuanced characters has carried me through this easily. But I see your point of critique and understand why people may not like it for that reason.

Quote:
Anyway, I do like the main characters, but story wise it's sometimes annoying how far fetched the storylines go.

To me, the main characters and their interpersonal dynamics are the absolute key here. They may be agents of this super-clandestine organization working with/for/against powered individuals and folks with Alien-DNA, but a lot of their struggles with each other - or themselves - is very relatable. And hell, the emergence of all the fear-mongering and manipulative groups in this show - be they Hydra, or later on The Watchdogs or whatnot - just seems a bit too relevant in the times we're living in right now. This, much more so than the basic plots or storylines (big evil - we must fight it - but oh, no, they have a secret ace and oh no, someone we took for a friend is actually a foe. or is s/he?), is what really fascinates me about it and makes me want to see more.

Old 02.08.2021, 03:25 PM   #3332
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

it wasn't the back and forth per se that bothered me--i just thought the back and forth was maybe an explanation for why they would totally shred characters, develop arbitrary storylines, etc.

really was shaping up great and then it became a cheap refry of buffy/angel/dollhouse themes, except badly thrown together--for me anyway.

i don't wanna spoil it, but maybe when you're finally sick of it we can commiserate together

btw ive just started 3rd season of buffy. been rewatching the whole thing and damn, season 2 really picks up steam, season 3 is gonna go to that finish full steam ahead... i fucking love that show, even with the occasional bad acting and now terrible-looking effects classic tv though.
Old 02.09.2021, 09:14 AM   #3333
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I never watched the last season of this show. Just stopped entirely. Or maybe I watched a few episodes and then stopped? Either way I genuinely don’t remember
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2021, 09:15 AM   #3334
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I never watched the last season of this show. Just stopped entirely. Or maybe I watched a few episodes and then stopped? Don’t remember. Either way, it must have grown boring for me as well.
Old 02.09.2021, 09:51 AM   #3335
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I never watched the last season of this show. Just stopped entirely. Or maybe I watched a few episodes and then stopped? Either way I genuinely don’t remember
yup, i remember me calling it agents of s.h.i.t. and you saying "no, it's great!"

but yeah the wheels fell off that cart.

like early on for me... SPOILERS SPOILERS...

SPOILER: badass paranoid computer hacker turns into useless sound explosion person?! looks to me more like superstupid flaw...

END SPOILERS

there is much more i'll gladly discuss but just wanna make sure i dont ruin it for others. ward... don't get me started on ward...
Old 02.09.2021, 09:11 PM   #3336
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yup, i remember me calling it agents of s.h.i.t. and you saying "no, it's great!"

but yeah the wheels fell off that cart.

like early on for me... SPOILERS SPOILERS...

SPOILER: badass paranoid computer hacker turns into useless sound explosion person?! looks to me more like superstupid flaw...

END SPOILERS

there is much more i'll gladly discuss but just wanna make sure i dont ruin it for others. ward... don't get me started on ward...

Someone just brought this show up to me, and I think I will go back and finish. It was like reboot Doctor Who at times, but it has peaks and valleys. I like the peaks, the valleys are bleh-city.

Some of the best episodes are really great though, so maybe final season will redeem itself but my mind is blank about what was even happening near the end there haha
Old 02.09.2021, 09:13 PM   #3337
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Someone just brought this show up to me, and I think I will go back and finish. It was like reboot Doctor Who at times, but it has peaks and valleys. I like the peaks, the valleys are bleh-city.

Some of the best episodes are really great though, so maybe final season will redeem itself but my mind is blank about what was even happening near the end there haha
it's a real pity you never got into buffy because that was the mother lode
Old 02.11.2021, 06:24 PM   #3338
_tunic_
invito al cielo

Broken Arrows: The Lost Bombs of the Cold War
I watched the second episode of this documentary, on TV, missed the first episode unfortunately. Perhaps I'll still watch it. Pretty shocking, "sorry Spain, we've dropped some bombs on your grounds, good luck!". A large portion of land is still sectioned

Funny those reviews on Amazon claiming it as Russian propaganda

Old 02.11.2021, 09:22 PM   #3339
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Speaking of Buffy, Joss Wheadon has been in some hot water on social media for accused actress treatment from the show.

https://twitter.com/AllCharisma/stat...37746843365381
Old 02.12.2021, 04:36 PM   #3340
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
Speaking of Buffy, Joss Wheadon has been in some hot water on social media for accused actress treatment from the show.

https://twitter.com/AllCharisma/stat...37746843365381
oh lol poor cordy

i mean poor charisma...

but hell, she's cordy for life. i see her going to comicons etc with tara.

anyway, yeah, the director who made her famous was also an asshole. and he fucked up her angel storyline for sure.

but he didn't roofie and rape her. what he did is not a crime, to be an asshole under pressure. the world is full of assholes, especially when under pressure. who here hasn't?

anyway, i'll judge the artist by their art, and the hr department can judge them by their behavior in the workplace. of course twitter loves to do this stuff.
117157164165166 167 168169170177 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth