Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page To wohever bought the deluxe edition cds..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.14.2007, 04:12 PM   #1
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Did you keep the single cd editions too?
I'm wondering wether or not to keep Goo and Dirty or give them as a present (not becuz that would make me save money on "new" presents, eh...) now that I plan to buy the deluxe editions...
stupid question, I know, but wanted to hear your povs.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I kept them. The Goo and Dirty would be the only ones I'd consider parting as DDN holds too much sentimental value. Giving them as gifts isn't a bad idea, though, especially to a dear friend that digs SY
Old 11.14.2007, 04:25 PM   #3
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I have the single disc versions to the guy that lives in the apartment below me, because he "never got into" SY. I felt that they were all good entry-drug albums.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 04:26 PM   #4
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
I kept them. The Goo and Dirty would be the only ones I'd consider parting as DDN holds too much sentimental value. Giving them as gifts isn't a bad idea, though, especially to a dear friend that digs SY

That's exactly what I'm thinking right now.
I already decided to keep DDN (even if it sounds pretty bad), Dirty might be the first SY album I bought but I'm not that attached to the object itself... on the other hand, I'm kinda pondering also to try and track down ("collect"?) most of SY (not sideprojects as of now) stuff released on cd...bah..time will tell I guess, and now I kinda regret giving away my single cd copy of WM back when I bought the 2 cds version ha ha... I can change my mind pretty fast, apparently.
Old 11.14.2007, 04:29 PM   #5
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
That's exactly what I'm thinking right now.
I already decided to keep DDN (even if it sounds pretty bad), Dirty might be the first SY album I bought but I'm not that attached to the object itself... on the other hand, I'm kinda pondering also to try and track down ("collect"?) most of SY (not sideprojects as of now) stuff released on cd...bah..time will tell I guess, and now I kinda regret giving away my single cd copy of WM back when I bought the 2 cds version ha ha... I can change my mind pretty fast, apparently.

Also, the jewel cases are easier to use if you want to pop one in the cd player. The slip cases can get very annoying.
Old 11.14.2007, 04:42 PM   #6
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
i admire the altruism exhibited here...i keep the original single discs as
mementos.
Old 11.14.2007, 04:46 PM   #7
nicfit
invito al cielo

ha ha nobody mentioned the misspelled thread title yet.
Old 11.14.2007, 04:56 PM   #8
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
I gave away my single disc version of Washing Machine after I got the 2CD version with the live disc, I gave away a single disc copy of Dirty because I had two and I gave away DDN because I lend it out to someone who moved to another city and when it was on sale I bought a new one and said he could keep it.

But for some reason I didn't give the single discs away after I got the deluxe versions and I don't think I will... even if it's just because the booklets are different or because of some silly sentimental reason.
Of course I have them all on vinyl too and I even picked up a second hand copy of the Blast First CD of DDN just to see if it really sounded different to the Geffen version. Gosh.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 05:04 PM   #9
nicfit
invito al cielo

Now that you mention it, I don't regret giving away WM, after all it's the very same record... and I loved her, so, yeah....won't ask it back ah ha.
will evaluate on the single cds also becuz at first I wasn't sure about getting the remastered ones coz I kinda "grew accustomed" to the sound of the 1 cd ones... but I really liked the DDN deluxe, with the nice booklet and all, so I decided to buy Dirty and Goo too... tomorrow I'll add a poll with the options and see which one will prevail, ha ha.
Old 11.14.2007, 05:09 PM   #10
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
Now that you mention it, I don't regret giving away WM, after all it's the very same record... and I loved her, so, yeah....won't ask it back ah ha.
will evaluate on the single cds also becuz at first I wasn't sure about getting the remastered ones coz I kinda "grew accustomed" to the sound of the 1 cd ones... but I really liked the DDN deluxe, with the nice booklet and all, so I decided to buy Dirty and Goo too... tomorrow I'll add a poll with the options and see which one will prevail, ha ha.

The DDN Deluxe sounds the best out of all of them, with Goo being second and Dirty third. The sound on Dirty isn't all that much different (to my ears) just marginally louder. But, I buy them for the bonus tracks mostly.
Old 11.14.2007, 05:12 PM   #11
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, DDN sounds better, as does Goo, especially the demos sound much much better. Not sure about Dirty either, plus they cut the intro to Genetic. Bastards.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 05:12 PM   #12
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

avantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's asses
i gave mine away to friends i thought would like SY, and sure enough they got into em. even went and saw SY w/ me in dallas last month.

avantgarde1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 05:15 PM   #13
nicfit
invito al cielo

yep, DDN was the one I bought for the sound improvement (I had the not-at-all-good-sounding geffen cd), while I'll buy the others mainly for the booklets and bonus cds.
I'll visit some online stores soon, ha ha , I'm a happy bunny (<--- see, nef?) tonight.
Old 11.14.2007, 05:19 PM   #14
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Yes, DDN sounds better, as does Goo, especially the demos sound much much better. Not sure about Dirty either, plus they cut the intro to Genetic. Bastards.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! That angered me some, but not alot since I have the 100% single.
Old 11.14.2007, 07:22 PM   #15
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i have the regular cds alright, keeping them.

of course, now i don't have the dirty booklet thanks to some jealous cunts.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 07:56 PM   #16
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
kept

they look better on my shelf in chronological order with the single jewel case

at this point i can't listen to the old dirty disc anymore, cause the extra b-side just blend seamlessly into it, that and the destroyed room closes the album better then creme brulee
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 12:49 AM   #17
touch me i'm sick
expwy. to yr skull

touch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's asses
this thread inspired me to unwrap my single edition Goo, that i got as a gift, that i had never opened because i have the deluxe. i was thinking about returning it or selling it, but now i'm glad i've opened it and decided to keep it
touch me i'm sick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 12:54 AM   #18
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
if you have the original albums i dont really see a point in getting all this remastered shit. the original DDN sounds fine to me.
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 01:30 AM   #19
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

Protectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's asses
I'm suprised that no one has touched on this:

I've kept all the single disc versions because all of the Deluxe versions have been "hot-mastered". They've all been victims of the loudness war, and I'd rather hear the cd's without compression or limiting .
original version on top, deluxe underneath - Teenage Riot:

Protectmeyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 04:01 AM   #20
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I gave my single disc versions away. I want to own everything by SY that I possibly can, but I'm not bothered about having duplicate copies.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth