Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page noise isnt art
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.24.2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
i have more to say than noise isnt art but the title seem suitable. Im having a discussion on a myspace poetry forum about how when a poems title doesnt fit the poem it misguides the reader and makes the write seem that he doesnt know the certain meaning of the text. Any way this chick just keeps saying the title doesnt matter and that its the poem that does the talking. Now I know this is true for most people, if you see a poem titled for john, are going to read it? prob. not. But Im leading to the noise thing.

so then it comes to expression and i then said I guess my poetry isnt art because it contains no personal expression. but now here comes the noise. most recorded noise cant be art because how does distorted frequencies portray self expressionism in anyway. I can see live noise in some cases because your in the act of creating with some level of emotion of feeling.

i dont know if you have to be registered to read it but heres th elink to the topic at hand:

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=messageboard.viewThread&entry ID=16126135&groupID=100006809&adTopicID=19&Mytoken =C985054A-144C-513D-6B06D48D3E8098BA44934336

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 07:33 PM   #2
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
noise is art if it contains form, if there is no formal structure then it is just noise. for example if you listen to outrios 2 on atavistic the music has a definite form but it is complete noise. if there was no form this would not be listenable. for example pendulum music by steve reich contains form to a certain extent because his choices when he freed the microphone to start its motion was a choice about the rythmic patterns that may evolve from when the microphone is released. and what is the definition of art, take marcel duchamp's fountain where he placed a urinal in an art gallery. is that art? the act of placement was the art the piece of could have been replaced with any domestic product. art is not necessarily about self expression it is also about challenging the ideas about how people in the world think, which is what duchamp did with that particular piece. is silver sessions for jason knuth a piece of art, how do you describe that cd, what is it if it is not art, sonic youth are artists, they created the silver sessions, the silver sessions is noise with little form apart from the room harmonics which is interesting in itself? ill contradict myself slightly there as i write from the top of my head.

i don't really have any answers, just questions but id like any opinions on this...
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
i certainly see what your saying, i dont anything can reall ybe answered until theres a deffinite deffinition for art. i just consider art as some form of expression. im fine with writing poetry that isnt considered art anyway. id like to hear some more opinions.

Old 04.24.2006, 07:48 PM   #4
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
art is the way in which we look at ourselves as humans throughout history and when you go through the palimpsest of art it can tell us alot about how we are as an entity on this planet.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 07:50 PM   #5
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

true, art reflects history and history reflects art.

Old 04.24.2006, 08:16 PM   #6
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

DoubleNickels ain't too shabby
I think it all depends on the context, as wishy-washy as that sounds. The difference of noise made by someone just standing at their shoes onstage has a different feeling as opposed to someone who is making noise and thrashing about on stage.
Old 04.24.2006, 08:26 PM   #7
Proud Marie
little trouble girl

Proud Marie ain't too shabby
Noisey music is cool, but the endless drone of feedback with no rhythm is just dull. There are some who will call me a poser for this i assume.
Proud Marie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 08:28 PM   #8
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

i guess i just cant consider non expresion structured textures an dwords art, and thats all i do! FUCK! IM NOT AN ARTIST! ahaha, i dont know, i think ill say any form of sound and literature is ART.

Old 04.24.2006, 08:32 PM   #9
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Art is whatever you say it is. "What is art" is a boring question. "What is good art" is much more interesting.

Also, you need to let go of the idea that art has to involve self-expression. This is a romantic idea that popular culture has latched onto. Rock music, in particular, has pushed the idea of the romantic artist to an extreme.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 08:35 PM   #10
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

yeah, its true. i grasp this concept firmly. I ll get rid of it after some time.

Old 04.24.2006, 09:02 PM   #11
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
BULLSHIT
something being categorized as "art" has nothing to do with the emotional whatever about it and everything to do with the intent of the artist.
if the artist intends for what their doing to be "art" or "music" then guess what.......
IT IS.

http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 09:07 PM   #12
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Who's to say what is and isn't art.I mean is something "art" just because you hang it on a wall ?
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 09:10 PM   #13
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
Who's to say what is and isn't art.I mean is something "art" just because you hang it on a wall ?

So, we have to make value judgements to decide what's art and what's not? I think we're confusing issues.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 09:13 PM   #14
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Art is all in opinion, if I see something as art, it is art to me, if you see the same thing as noise, then it is noise to you.

Anything and everything can be art, but it is not art to everyone.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 09:15 PM   #15
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPfrey05
BULLSHIT
something being categorized as "art" has nothing to do with the emotional whatever about it and everything to do with the intent of the artist.
if the artist intends for what their doing to be "art" or "music" then guess what.......
IT IS.

Why does art have to be determined by the intentions of the artist? Doesn't the audience have any say in the matter?

Maybe I consider the chirping of the birds or the rumbling of a train on the tracks to be art, even if the "artist" has no such intention.
Old 04.24.2006, 09:22 PM   #16
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHandsOnTheBigOne
Why does art have to be determined by the intentions of the artist? Doesn't the audience have any say in the matter?

Maybe I consider the chirping of the birds or the rumbling of a train on the tracks to be art, even if the "artist" has no such intention.

!!! Someone that gets it !!!

Now if nobody witnesses a spectacular event, like eclipses on jupiter, is it still art? To me it is, because I know I would find it amazing even if I never saw it, whether you see Chaos as the creater or God.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 11:37 PM   #17
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Beauty lies in the eye......
Old 04.24.2006, 11:38 PM   #18
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
art is gay
Old 04.24.2006, 11:39 PM   #19
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
You like that word today, eh B-D?
Old 04.24.2006, 11:41 PM   #20
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
noise, like music, is art

but i hate it when people apporach it or interpret it as some big artistic statement and make it pretentious; it loses the fun in it
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth