Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kevchino.com reviews Rather Ripped!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.20.2006, 01:11 AM   #1
amh
empty page

amh has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Check out Kevchino.com for a review of Rather Ripped!

http://www.kevchino.com/index.aspx?review=939
amh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2006, 12:50 PM   #2
Shayna
little trouble girl

Shayna is a jewel in the roughShayna is a jewel in the roughShayna is a jewel in the rough
What was and, really, still is, the band’s trademarks are valleys and peaks, tension and release, and quiet-and-loud dynamics; and that usually took SY a long time to do in one song. But the trick of Rather Ripped is that the band has learned how to condense those experiments into four minute indie rock songs.

Very well put.
Shayna is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2006, 01:44 AM   #3
amh
empty page

amh has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Yeah, I am the author. I write for the site, so I hope me posting the link doesn't come across as disingenuous. Afterglow? Well at times I feel SY has mellowed out. I mean, Thurston, Kim, Steve and Lee just can't make the same noise as they did with Goo or Dirty. They are more mature now, and their music kind of reflects that. My own opinion, of course. Thanks for reading!
amh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I like the review.
Old 05.28.2006, 10:33 AM   #5
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
very good review! And I agree although its certainly not Daydream Nation! (but what ever could)
Washing Machine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2006, 10:50 AM   #6
trainyard bliss
little trouble girl

trainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard sucka
yea, i have heard very little from the album since i'm waiting for the release of the physical cd, but from what i've heard floating around the board, this seems like the most articulate, insightful perspective yet. of course, you're getting paid for it, so that would make sense.
trainyard bliss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2006, 10:57 AM   #7
mushmanski57@hotmail.com
stalker

mushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's asses
Very good review, good job.
mushmanski57@hotmail.com is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2006, 11:33 AM   #8
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh
Yeah, I am the author. I write for the site, so I hope me posting the link doesn't come across as disingenuous. Afterglow? Well at times I feel SY has mellowed out. I mean, Thurston, Kim, Steve and Lee just can't make the same noise as they did with Goo or Dirty. They are more mature now, and their music kind of reflects that. My own opinion, of course. Thanks for reading!

Pink Steam.

I don't like the review at all. Honestly, I hate the new cover and one thing SY have done almost their entire career was to not make things so predictable from a visual standpoint, whether it was from cover art or their own identities. So for SY to have this very urban cut/paste primitive looking cover does not peak my interest, it also doesn't lead me to believe that SY are going back to the more "experimental days"(which really ended in 85 anyways).

The review of Rather Ripped leads you to believe that SY are "progressing" in a more simplistic, but effective way of writing the same songs that they've recently been writing over the last several years.

I totally disagree.

I think SY have always been about simplistic yet more effective approach and it wasn't until A THOUSAND LEAVES where they abandoned that approach. They haven't used this approach since WASHING MACHINE, so it's no coincidence that RATHER RIPPED sounds much more like GOO/DIRTY/WASHING MACHINE-era SY than it does SONIC NURSE.

I don't look at RATHER RIPPED as a "progression of Sonic Nurse into a more simple, short but effective approach".

I look at RATHER RIPPED as a way of saying, "hey, let's get back to what we enjoyed doing most and what we are better at".

The review says that INCINERATE is "nothing like the band's older work" and that couldn't be further from the truth. When you listen to the beginning of INCINERATE, it has very huge similarities to DIRTY(especially midway through CHAPEL HILL where clean guitar takes prominence until the distorted guitar comes in).

The review sounds as if it was done by someone that's not too familiar with SY's entire body of work or even early 90s work, which was midway through their career. SY have not done anything resembling NO WAVE since the first EP. I wouldn't even call CONFUSION IS SEX "no wave" either. But I think most fans would agree that SY have ditched their "no wave" approach to music after BAD MOON RISING(which came out in 85...20 years after RATHER RIPPED is coming out). There really isn't alot of fans of SY from that NO WAVE era and most SY fans do not prefer the NO WAVE approach of their albums over classics like SISTER or DAYDREAM NATION. The review makes it out to look like most fans may not like it because it's not "no wave", but that just isn't true. SY really didn't expand themselves until AFTER their No Wave days.

I don't see SY as an "experimental" band...they abandoned that title in 85. Sure they have done SYR, TV SHIT, and other more aggressive things, but that doesn't mean that SY are an "EXPERIMENTAL" band.

That's like saying "BLUR IS A PUNK BAND" because they do a punk song on almost every album.

And the reference to TERROR TWILIGHT...please. That's a sure sign the writer doesn't really know SY well enough to accurately compare what SY's previous work has been.

I'm sure the guy is nice and he does give SY a compliment, but as a review, I think it's very very misrepresentational of what SY really are.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2006, 12:26 PM   #9
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
I think khchris(original) has made a very valid observation there; and I especially agree with the experimental part. I think SY have morphed into the greatest rock band alive. The greatest. Not an experimental band. A ROCK band. And I believe they've been moving in this direction consciously for some time now, ever since DDN probably... But; right up until Sonic Nurse; they've somewhat abandoned this approach and explored a softer, mellow sound that's somewhat ambient and textural in approach; less of their rock-star-meets-trasher-noisemaker music than in their pre-DGC days. I tend to agree with khchris(original)'s stance that it started with A Thousand Leaves. Rather Ripped is more of a return to their rock band approach that has been somewhat absent right up until Sonic Nurse, though that album had a somewhat rock groove feel to it. Well, just my two cents, thanks for reading. And I love A Thousand Leaves by the way...
Old 05.28.2006, 07:35 PM   #10
cbeattie
empty page

cbeattie is a jewel in the roughcbeattie is a jewel in the roughcbeattie is a jewel in the rough
Rarely have I read a more crap, insight-less, under-educated wank of a review.

That is not to say that I either agree or disagree with its general sentiment. It's just that I think it manages to say nothing but uses an awful lot of words to say it.

cbeattei
cbeattie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2006, 07:41 PM   #11
cbeattie
empty page

cbeattie is a jewel in the roughcbeattie is a jewel in the roughcbeattie is a jewel in the rough
[quote=amh]Yeah, I am the author. [quote]

Sir, this is the biggest pile of ass-sucking, ephemeral dung I have read in years.

Go home.

Read a book.

Listen to SY.

Read another book

Listen to more SY.

Then listen to Rather Ripped.

Then read another book.

Eat some food.

Meet a nice girl.

Have sex.

Read a book.

Failing the sex part, have a wank.

Listen again to Rather Ripped.

Somewhere along the way you should have developed a personality, and possibly some knoweldge or interest in music, or at least an interest in books, music, food, sex and SY in general.

Now, try to write a review of Rather Ripped.

cbeattie

PS Did you get paid for this?

PPS Please note, I have neither agreed with this author's feelings about RR, nor disagreed. I just despair at the crapness of this review!
Old 05.28.2006, 07:43 PM   #12
cbeattie
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushmanski57@hotmail.com
Very good review, good job.

Bollox.

Go home and play with yourself, you fool.

Or buy a fucking English dictionary.

Or the SY back catalogue.

Fuck.

If they were giving away personalities on this board...

cbeattei
Old 05.28.2006, 07:47 PM   #13
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
cbeattie is right. One of the worst piles of lies and slander ever.
Old 05.28.2006, 09:05 PM   #14
Laila
the end of the ugly

Laila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's asses
where do you get this info? i'm flat as a board.

PM me please

Facebook- Laila Virani

Laila is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2006, 09:34 PM   #15
Laila
the end of the ugly

Laila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's asses
no never

PM me please

Facebook- Laila Virani

Laila is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2006, 09:36 PM   #16
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
amh never wrote that the record sounded no wave, they wrote that the cover leads one to believe that it may "hearken" back to their early days.

that's the part of khchris(original)'s post that piqued my interest in posting in this thread. Some people will do anything to try to run off those that write well on this board due to their own inadequacies.

The review wasn't bad. It was pretty colorful & original I thought. Thanks for linking to it, amh, & I hope you will post here more.

As for AssBlaster, he, much like a no-name politician, has to resort to initiating conflict with people who do get attention in a lame effort to get attention himself; use that in your signature. I dare you.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2006, 10:17 PM   #17
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
amh never wrote that the record sounded no wave, they wrote that the cover leads one to believe that it may "hearken" back to their early days.

that's the part of khchris(original)'s post that piqued my interest in posting in this thread. Some people will do anything to try to run off those that write well on this board due to their own inadequacies.

The review wasn't bad. It was pretty colorful & original I thought. Thanks for linking to it, amh, & I hope you will post here more.

As for AssBlaster, he, much like a no-name politician, has to resort to initiating conflict with people who do get attention in a lame effort to get attention himself; use that in your signature. I dare you.

Some people will do anything to fight me regardless if they agree or not because of personal harbored ill feelings they won't let go(right atari 2600?).

Nobody ever said the new record sounded like "no wave". And no, the cover does not look anything like what a "no wave" band would do for cover art.

I think you've missed the boat: the point made was that the reviewer emphasized that those who see the cover may think they're getting a SY "no wave" album and I disagreed simply because SY have always been unpredictable from a visual standpoint, whether it was from cover art or their visual identity.

Get on with your life atari 2600 and do yourself a favor: just don't read my posts. It's just going to frustrate and upset you. How do you ever get any sleep???

Atari 2600, so how is that complaint you were going to file on me to the FBI?(giggles)
Old 05.28.2006, 10:45 PM   #18
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
amh wrote an upbeat, postive review of Rather Ripped, an album that khchris only just last night professed to prefer since any album since Washing Machine, & then khchris wrote that he "hated" the review.

You are entitled to dislike amh's review, but you also demonstrated that you didn't even really read the review; you couldn't resist playing devil's advocate out of what certainly comes off as a desperate need for attention.

There was no need to attack a new forum poster like that. It is true for anyone with a brain to see that amh is, in fact, a better writer than you; deal with it.

Deep down I still think you're an alright guy, but you have some issues that need to be dealt with & that much is obvious to anyone reading.
Your hateful misanthropy is a serious obstacle to any development you might naturally accomplish.

I (like most) have issues as well, so don't feel too bad; life is a process.

& yeah, the word is "piqued"...you need to stop assuming you are intelligent enough to offer extended criticisms of anything.
Old 05.28.2006, 11:04 PM   #19
khchris(original)
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
for heaven's sake, please get laid, kenji.

you are entitled to dislike amh's review, but you take everything too far.

deep down you're an alright guy, but you have some issues that need to be dealt with & that much is obvious to anyone reading.

I (like most) have issues as well, so don't feel too bad; life is a process.

& yeah, the word is "piqued"...you need to stop assuming you are intelligent enough to offer extended criticisms of anything. just because you are obviously more intelligent than the majority of people who post here doesn't mean shit as you are still very average, at best.

Learn how to listen & silence your inner chatter; maybe then you'll find a girlfriend.

I do apologize for "going there", but you leave me no other resort, & I do believe that the lack of the human touch is the source of your hateful misanthropy.

Do you really think by saying I "need a girlfriend and get laid" that it's really going to change the fact that you refuse to let things go and harbor ill feelings towards me?

Atari 2600, you are the person who(again) is instigating shit on this thread, and that's obvious with everyone here, so don't try to hide and deny it.

If anyone has issues, it would be the same guy who lied about "filing a complaint to the FBI on someone for saying that you 'lived at home'".

If anyone has issues, it would be the same guy who cannot help himself from instigating fights on an internet message board with a stranger who got the best of him like a year ago.

I don't really have any issues with anyone except for those who choose to come at me, like yourself atari 2600.

oh, and I do have a girlfriend and got laid twice last night-this morning.

I'm still the same dude. Get over it atari 2600. Seriously, have you noticed that your main intention of coming on this thread was solely to provoke a fight with me? Get a life and stop worrying what I say or do. You are no "law enforcer" or martyr, so stop trying to act like one.
Old 05.28.2006, 11:10 PM   #20
atari 2600
invito al cielo

There's no need to lie, kenji.

As you' ll notice, I edited before you posted your reply because I felt I was going too far. You might want to think about doing the same. You are so obsessed that you were copying & pasting my last post before I even had time to edit out the things that were inappropriate. You've done this countless times in the past as well.

The word is "piqued", wannabe. I've seen you make similar errors time & time again.

Stop sabotaging yourself. That's the first step.

If you're gonna make a criticism, then by all means take care to actually read & comprehend the information, that's all.

You are the shit-master & everyone knows it, but that doesn't mean you can't try to change & improve yourself & capitalize on many of your sensibilities that sadly, seem to be evaporating all the time. I hope you're okay & wish you the best.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth