Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Gordon's New Band Glitterbust Announce New Album
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.25.2016, 11:30 AM   #21
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's kind of wild that Kim, of all people, is turning out to have the most interesting post Sonic Youth career. Thurston's done fine, Lee's done fine, but they've released pretty "safe" studio albums.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2016, 05:09 PM   #22
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Well, I think Leeīs Glacial, Lōrchestre Inharmonique & Last Night On Earth are as great as Kimīs doings.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2016, 05:14 PM   #23
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
they just need to get back together and make some noise tunes with commentary lyrics on the state of pop and rock du fuck out.

oh god!! I can hear it now.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2016, 01:45 AM   #24
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Really have got nothing against SY reuniting. But now it doesnīt seem very possible and I can live with that fact there maybe will not be SY ever. Last Dust gig was enough SY to me (even Steve wasnīt on drums), really expect next Lee gig.
Old 04.04.2016, 05:42 PM   #25
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Really have got nothing against SY reuniting. But now it doesnīt seem very possible and I can live with that fact there maybe will not be SY ever. Last Dust gig was enough SY to me (even Steve wasnīt on drums), really expect next Lee gig.

I'm ok with them not reuniting, because I saw them a shit ton of times and had the pleasure of meeting just about everyone involved between '97 and '09, so as much as it sucks that my SY concert-going days may be over, I don't feel as though I missed much. I've seen them in tiny venues and at festivals in stadiums, seen them with all kinds of supporting acts. Done the whole SY thing, stoned in a million different ways and also absolutely sober (I prefer them when I'm sober ), so I can't really complain.

However, I know that there are folks out there who never got to see them live. I know there will be newer and newer generations of fans, and if they're anything like me, seeing the band live will feel like an absolute necessity. So for those folks, I do hope there's a few reunion shows at some point. The band's getting older and older, and if they're gonna do it they should do it sooner rather than later.

But all I really want is access to any unreleased material, reissues, archive recordings, more official live albums, and so on. They could remain broken up and pop out a comp or remaster once every other year and I'd be fine with that.
Old 04.07.2016, 02:14 AM   #26
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I'm ok with them not reuniting, because I saw them a shit ton of times and had the pleasure of meeting just about everyone involved between '97 and '09, so as much as it sucks that my SY concert-going days may be over, I don't feel as though I missed much. I've seen them in tiny venues and at festivals in stadiums, seen them with all kinds of supporting acts. Done the whole SY thing, stoned in a million different ways and also absolutely sober (I prefer them when I'm sober ), so I can't really complain.

However, I know that there are folks out there who never got to see them live. I know there will be newer and newer generations of fans, and if they're anything like me, seeing the band live will feel like an absolute necessity. So for those folks, I do hope there's a few reunion shows at some point. The band's getting older and older, and if they're gonna do it they should do it sooner rather than later.

But all I really want is access to any unreleased material, reissues, archive recordings, more official live albums, and so on. They could remain broken up and pop out a comp or remaster once every other year and I'd be fine with that.

nicely said.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2016, 03:43 AM   #27
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
FUCK I want Daydream Tour DVD from 2006-2007 (I don't remember)

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2016, 12:51 PM   #28
Severian
invito al cielo

I want a fucking proper deluxe Sister reissue. It's my personal favorite SY album (even though I think it's fairly obvious that Daydream Nation is a better record in terms of the band's legacy and serves as a better example of how and why SY is so utterly unique, even among the most unique groups of all time). That's what I want. Why'd they have to stall on that shit right when Sister would have been the next album out? Ugh.
Old 04.09.2016, 12:59 PM   #29
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
nicely said.

Thanks.

I just know the feeling, you know? For me it's the Velvets. I would have given a kidney to see VU play live, and to really feel like a part of the VU "era." Closest I got was seeing Lou Reed, which was an incredible experience but still fails to satisfy that urge.

So I'd like younger fans to have that experience, and feel part of it all. Me, I've binged and stuffed myself with SY for ages.
Old 04.12.2016, 03:33 AM   #30
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

I think you Sev didnīt remember even I am an old SY fan, I have never seen them alive (they have been only 3 times in Finland). It really hurts. Of course I would have also wanted to see for example VU & Captain Beefheart, but they never were in Finland. I really have very slight hope I will see someday Tom Waits (closest he have been is Stockholm). And, even I havenīt seen SY, I have seen Thurston, Kim & Lee alone. Also really great I will soon see PJ!
Old 04.12.2016, 02:25 PM   #31
Severian
invito al cielo

Well, then I hope they reunite and go to Finland straight away!

I shouldn't have made my post specific to young people and future fans. I'm sure there are plenty of Sonic Youth "lifers" who just haven't ever had a chance or opportunity to see them perform. That sucks. So allow me to adjust my statement: I hope SY reunites and performs so that ANYONE who wants to see them has at least another chance to.

That means a fucking world tour, probably 2+ years in length. Not something I'd expect them to do, but I still hope they do it.

I firmly believe that everyone has a right (like, a God given, inalienable right) to see their favorite band/artist live. We as a society should be tirelessly working to realize time travel with this goal in mind.

I'm not even kidding. I've always felt this way. Before I saw SY for the first time, I felt like half a man. Incomplete. It sucked. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Old 04.13.2016, 01:26 AM   #32
Verstande
empty page

Verstande kicks all y'all's assesVerstande kicks all y'all's assesVerstande kicks all y'all's assesVerstande kicks all y'all's assesVerstande kicks all y'all's assesVerstande kicks all y'all's assesVerstande kicks all y'all's assesVerstande kicks all y'all's assesVerstande kicks all y'all's assesVerstande kicks all y'all's assesVerstande kicks all y'all's asses
As someone who barely got into SY (now my favorite band of all time) 2 years ago, I really do hope that they make at least 1 more tour. I'd be satisfied if Thurston played with his band in the west coast for once though...
Verstande is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2016, 06:21 AM   #33
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Well, then I hope they reunite and go to Finland straight away!

I shouldn't have made my post specific to young people and future fans. I'm sure there are plenty of Sonic Youth "lifers" who just haven't ever had a chance or opportunity to see them perform. That sucks. So allow me to adjust my statement: I hope SY reunites and performs so that ANYONE who wants to see them has at least another chance to.

That means a fucking world tour, probably 2+ years in length. Not something I'd expect them to do, but I still hope they do it.

I firmly believe that everyone has a right (like, a God given, inalienable right) to see their favorite band/artist live. We as a society should be tirelessly working to realize time travel with this goal in mind.

I'm not even kidding. I've always felt this way. Before I saw SY for the first time, I felt like half a man. Incomplete. It sucked. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Youīre right. But itīs little bit hard to believe they will make ever world tour. Because if I have correct understanding, they never been very popular outside US (after US maybe UK & south America?).

And like almost all the other old bands, I believe things will be never same as they were in eighties & nineties (I think they sounded live much different even in 2000 than earlier). But anyway I will be the first to buy ticket if they reunite and come even in the some near north countries! About their popularity in Finland, I donīt think I am lying badly if I say I am the biggest SY fan in Finland (sorry dasx if I hurt you).
Old 04.13.2016, 03:36 PM   #34
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
NO REUNION, SAY I. The band is over. Get over it. Thank your lucky ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ that all members keep making bichen music instead of flipping burgers for a living.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2016, 06:18 PM   #35
Severian
invito al cielo

I can get over it, but if I hadn't seen them live I'd be desperate... fucking desperate for a reunion tour.

Luckily for me, I have enough SY live memories for a lifetime. But I can't help but feel bad for the folks who never had the chance to witness the force of nature that was SY in concert.

Best goddamn show I've ever been to was an SY show. Straight up.
Old 04.13.2016, 07:41 PM   #36
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I can get over it, but if I hadn't seen them live I'd be desperate... fucking desperate for a reunion tour.

I never saw The Replacements live, and the 'Mats weren't just a band I dug; their art both destroyed and saved my life. But I was COMPLETELY against a reunion. And even though for years, decades even, they exchanged seriously nasty jabs in person and over the press, I feel that that shit was relatively slight compared to Kim and Thurston's breakup. Sonic Youth were not Fleetwood Mac or Blondie or X or Quasi. There's no going back there. The very thought of all four members playing together onstage again gives me the heebie-fuckin'-jeebies. NO REUNION!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 04.16.2016, 03:12 AM   #37
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

As usual, you`re wrong soup. Reunions can be great. If I hadnīt seen Stooges with Asheton brothers and Sabbath with original line-up in the middle of 2000, I would have missed one of the greatest gigs in my life (yes, you "forever young admirers" say "nooooo, they couldnīt have been as great as the seventies" well I donīt have nothing to compare, itīs always different to watch some old clip from youtube than be in the real live concert). And as we all know, relations in both bands werenīt not very warm in the seventies at least all the time, still they played 100% gigs in the 2000.

I just watched those SY basement live recordings, thatīs made after RR. Thurston & Kimīs marriage were already in ruins then. I donīt believe they watch themselves at all in those sessions. Still music sounds just great! Of course it sounds different than eighties or nineties, but there are that Sonic magick I need. I believe between those four members are so big musical connection that it can go over their personal relations.

Soup, if the reunion will happen, you can stay your cellar and continue writing your negative posts into SYG. You donīt have to go to the concert, but you can let others enjoy it.

I know replying you is just a waste of time, because youīre negative, selfish idiot. Just wanted to say SY reunion can be great. At least I believe it would be my dream come true. But, as I have said, if SY will never reunite, my life goes on.
Old 05.08.2016, 01:10 PM   #38
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Apologies for bringing this thread back on topic, but has anyone received the cassette version of Glitterbust, or does anyone know when it's supposed to be out?
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2016, 02:47 PM   #39
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
Apologies for bringing this thread back on topic, but has anyone received the cassette version of Glitterbust, or does anyone know when it's supposed to be out?

I ordered the colour vinyl anmd cassette, the vinyl arrived weeks ago but still no tape...

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2016, 07:22 PM   #40
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
Apologies for bringing this thread back on topic

Never apologize for bringing sexy back.

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth