Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Drive Like Jehu
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.04.2014, 03:26 AM   #21
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
i think they know. tons and tons of people showed up. that organ pavilion has never had that many people there for anything ever. itd be cool if they did a tour but it was just about them wanting to play with the organ not about reuniting. it was special. all the more if they dont do a tour. they sounded great though.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2014, 02:21 PM   #22
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
i think they know. tons and tons of people showed up. that organ pavilion has never had that many people there for anything ever. itd be cool if they did a tour but it was just about them wanting to play with the organ not about reuniting. it was special. all the more if they dont do a tour. they sounded great though.

Well, that's great for the people who happened to be in the area at the time. But statistically speaking, how many random twilight street-walkers out if every one hundred, chosen at random and plucked from 10 randomly selected US cities would describe themselves as fucking DRIVE LIKE JEHU FANS WITH NOTHING TO DO THAT NIGHT?!?

I hate it when bands reward the most lucky and goddamn care free members of their own home town's über-dude network with special shows and unannounced reunions. Like Fugazi did (does?) with DC's late 40-year-old, grey-haired, record store owning/sociology phd earning scenesters godfathers. Remember that shit?

If Fugazi, Unwound and Drive Like Jehu would tour together in 2015, and give the rest of us a chance to see them, I'd probably for a pretty happy man.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2014, 03:53 PM   #23
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
it does suck for you guys. but they arent that big in the first place and it makes sense that most of their fans would be in their hometown. i drove two hours though. longest ive driven for a show.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2014, 06:54 PM   #24
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
it does suck for you guys. but they arent that big in the first place and it makes sense that most of their fans would be in their hometown. i drove two hours though. longest ive driven for a show.

Depends on where/when you developed your personal definition of the word "big." Hah. I know I used to go see Lollapalooza and stuff (oh my! Look! Bands that are on television!), and I'd see the Stones, Dylan, Springsteen, etc. (wow... These people don't need to be on tv... TV exists because of stars like these.. THIS is big)

And then there were the basement shows, living room gigs small club shows and sparsely populated, up close and personal sets where you see a band, and if it's the right band, they kinda light up your soul, and you feel like you're an integral part of the performance. You know... the kind of show that you decide-- stumbling drunk and suddenly energetic-- to hit up at the last minute because some girls you and your friends know were planning on going. Then the no-name band completely blows you away, and they play as though their loves depended on this 30 minute set in front of a bunch of drunk assholes like you. You're blitzed and euphoric and you wonder where these guys/girls came from, until you realize that the singer and drummer live at the big brick house down the street where you used to buy weed.

(Ahem)
Uh, pardon the digression by way of romanticized re imagination. But I have a point... It's that those are the kinds of shows that make you understand how little MTV or international superstardom matter. Those are the shows that help you redefine "big" for yourself, and Drive Like Jehu is/was most definitely one of those kinds of bands. Their draw at their career peak was probably bigger than, say, Lightning Bolt's before Ride the Skies put them in the internet grimelight, but they were definitely one of the bands that helped me define what "big" meant.

Of course, so was Sonic Youth at the Fillmore in 2002. Lol.
Old 09.04.2014, 08:28 PM   #25
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Recap of San Diego show and video of the Full-Set
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2014, 09:51 AM   #26
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Recap of San Diego show and video of the Full-Set

Thank you for this.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth