Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Gray - Jean Michel Basquiat/Vincent Gallo
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.04.2007, 01:16 PM   #1
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Does anyone know where I can find recordings of this band (if there are any at all)? I'm a big fan of both Basquiat and Gallo's later work, I'd be very interested to see how this band sounds...
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 01:30 PM   #2
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I was curious myself.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 01:35 PM   #3
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
there is that warp thing he did which has pretty much his entire output on it, i think there might even be a few gray things on there. its called recordings of music and film.

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=7716

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 01:36 PM   #4
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Whenever i think of Gallo i think of this -

Quote:
Upon his return to America, however, Gallo took a defiant stance, defending the film and denying his apology. A war of words then erupted between Gallo and film critic Roger Ebert, with Ebert writing that The Brown Bunny was the worst film in the history of Cannes, and Gallo retorting by calling Ebert a "fat pig with the physique of a slave trader." Ebert then responded, paraphrasing a statement once made by Winston Churchill, that "one day I will be thin, but Vincent Gallo will always be the director of The Brown Bunny."

HA HA HA HA HA HA
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 09:36 PM   #5
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
i believe that the soundtrack for 'downtown 81' has some grey on it, but i've had the hardest fucking time even finding it.

the film is on youtube and you can hear it there, but other than that, i've been stumped for years.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 09:41 PM   #6
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
oh shizz. i'm downloading the soundtrack now (it has two gray tracks) and i'll put it up laterz.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 09.04.2007, 10:46 PM   #7
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

oh shizz again! i found a blog with the downtown '81 soundtrack AND another comp with gray on it (one of the tracks is the same and the other is a remix). still worth checking out, though.

http://majorbonobo.blogspot.com/search/label/Gray

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 09.05.2007, 12:55 AM   #8
MajorBonobo
empty page

MajorBonobo has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
oh shizz again! i found a blog with the downtown '81 soundtrack AND another comp with gray on it (one of the tracks is the same and the other is a remix). still worth checking out, though.

http://majorbonobo.blogspot.com/search/label/Gray

That's my blog. In the Anti-NY No Wave compilation the second Gray track it's not a remix, it's a cover by a German band. According to Wikipedia, there's not more music recorded by Gray than the one included in Downtown 81 NY Beat Movie and Anti NY, but I actually think they are wrong and there's more. If somebody finds anything else, I would appreciate it a lot to get it.
MajorBonobo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2007, 01:06 AM   #9
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

ah! that makes more sense than it being a remix.

i surely hope that more of this material get unearthed and released. something tells me that gallo has some, but hasn't yet been offered the right amount of money to put it out yet. he's an expensive whore.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 09.05.2007, 11:41 AM   #10
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Thanks for your help!
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2007, 08:08 AM   #11
MajorBonobo
empty page

MajorBonobo has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
ah! that makes more sense than it being a remix.

i surely hope that more of this material get unearthed and released. something tells me that gallo has some, but hasn't yet been offered the right amount of money to put it out yet. he's an expensive whore.

Somebody else looking for Gray found both my blog and the website of another member of Gray, http://www.michaelholman.com/MUSIC.html, that has a total 7 mp3, including both tracks from Downtown 81. I got very excited and downloaded and wanted to tell you, but then I read the whole info and it may be that the other 5 tracks are Post-Gallo, Post-Basquiat, from the 90s or 00s, by other members. I don't know. I just downloaded them and I am about to hear them...
MajorBonobo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2007, 09:36 AM   #12
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

let us know how it works out if i don't get to check it out before you do.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 09.07.2007, 09:50 AM   #13
lungfish
bad moon rising

lungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asses
more so then Gray (even though i'm an immense Basquiat fan)
i'm more interested in listening to Bohack, with Wayne Clifford and Claudia Porcelli, cir. 1982.
nice Francesco Clemente cover.
info here

for those interested in late 70's/early 80's Basquiat anecdotes, check out this site, with photos from Nicholas Taylor.
http://www.cepagallery.org/store/basquiat/1.html
lungfish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2007, 06:52 PM   #14
lungfish
bad moon rising

lungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asses
i have a question of those with a Downtown '81 soundtrack.
since amazon doesn't have the sample bits up anymore, is the song that quotes Genesis (at the beginning when Jean is walking) in the soundtrack? and if it is, who is it by?
thanks.
lungfish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth