Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Is Edie the First Sociolite to Make an Impact?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.21.2007, 12:34 AM   #1
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Can we say she is the first one, to make an imprint for all other sociolites to follow? Or where there others far better than her?
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2007, 02:03 AM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Well, there's been loads prior to Edie. The Mitford sisters were at the centre of the 'Bright Young Things' generation in London in the 20s-30s. They were party central. God, in Britain there's just too many to mention - let alone in the rest of Europe. Sure it's the same in the US.

The cool-as-fuck Mitford Sisters.

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2007, 04:49 AM   #3
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
who's edie?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2007, 04:53 AM   #4
sarramkrop

Edie Sedgwick, and no, she wasn't the first one at all. Also, Edie Sedgwick was too drugged up to her eyeballs and fucked up to make an impact on much, apart from a few rock musicians.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2007, 05:01 AM   #5
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i would imagine socialites are as old as society itself, but due to the fact that have no useful contribution to make to anyone there is probably (hopefully) very little in terms of historical accounts relating to them
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2007, 05:53 AM   #6
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Edie was fantastic. I'm obsessed with her.
Old 08.21.2007, 05:59 AM   #7
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i would imagine socialites are as old as society itself, but due to the fact that have no useful contribution to make to anyone there is probably (hopefully) very little in terms of historical accounts relating to them
One would hope that that will continue to be the case too. The thought of today's Tara Palmer Tompkinsons having some place in the history books for what they have done (e.g. fuck-all except appear in gossip columns after a post-champagne minor indiscretion) is quite a depressing one.

Is there a reason why "socialites" are always women? Or is that just a result of a general sexist attitude that makes that way of life somehow more acceptable when it's a male being the general waste of time, space and oxygen?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2007, 06:32 AM   #8
sarramkrop

I would accept that Edie Sedgwick was a pretty looking girl and all that, but the real person behind all the glamour had a way too disturbed personality to have any sort of strong influence on anything. Brutally caned by her dad as a youngster,the more than dubious sexual activity within her family, and the mental health issues that she went through, not to mention the heavy abuse of drugs that turned her into a hysterical human being, all made sure that she departed pretty soon from this world with little left for anyone to hang on to apart from her pretty face. There's two anedoctes about her that I like and go on to show how sad a person she was:

-The first one was one told by Sterling Morrison of when one day they went shopping in a limousine around Manhattan and Edie bought a pair of shoes that she couldn't keep her mouth shut about how lovely they were for an hour, till she pulled one of the car's windows down and chucked them out.

-The second is about Ondine being her nurse when she was at her worst He'd be sleeping by the lake in Central Park and he'd get up every morning, go to her apartment and inject into her doses of whatever drugs she was on at the time. All this while she was constantly crying, screaming and complaining about her inheritance quickly disappearing.

I'd hardly call that a happy life.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2007, 10:26 AM   #9
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
The Mitfords have gone down in history, sure, but perhaps not for the best of reasons - Diana Mitford becoming Mrs Oswald Mosely and Unity being infatuated with A Hitler Esq. Didn't Jessica Mitford turn into some ranting bag?
Old 08.21.2007, 10:48 AM   #10
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
edie sedgwik did nothing except be a train wreck and be skinny. she was a fucking horrible actress, a terrible model, and an all around waste of humanity.
her ridiculous cult of personality continues to grow which goes to show that once you are dead it does not matter what you have to offer, as long as you died tragically and young, you will be remembered by idiots.
Old 08.21.2007, 11:46 AM   #11
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
I wonder how Paris Hilton will be remembered?
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2007, 02:02 PM   #12
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
These 'It' girls can become significant if their fame symbolised some social change or something. An aristocrat marrying someone from the working class, etc. Having said that, I can't think of a single one that's interesting on that level. Most simply provide masturbatory material for guys that like the idea of a bit of posh. And I'm not refering to Victoria Beckham there, by the way.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2007, 02:48 PM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it is spelled Socialite
Old 08.21.2007, 10:26 PM   #15
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Sometimes people on this board have too much venom to spit.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth