Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page anyone hate hip hop?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.21.2007, 05:49 AM   #21
sarramkrop

Haha!

This gay hip hop number is for Tokolosh:

DUTCHBOY – Funky Bisexual (B.Q.E. Remix)

It's taken from this compilation

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2007, 05:56 AM   #22
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Much appreciated, but where's the link?
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2007, 06:04 AM   #23
sarramkrop

Go on the phat family label website and find it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2007, 06:14 AM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
truthfully, i can listen to a hip hop track, and i like some anticon stuff, but listening to a whole hip hop record is one of the most boring, excruciating things on the planet.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2007, 04:14 PM   #25
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_buzzo
new hip hop rap, whatsoever, yes.

old, no.

MBV covered Public Enemy.

Public Enemy rules.

Public Enemy sampled a drum loop for an interlude on It Takes A Nation... My Bloody Valentine used that same drum loop on Instrumental B (and added lots of ethereal atmospherics). Madonna also used that same drum loop on Justify My Love.

That drum loop didn't originate from Public Enemy (though they 'discovered' it). And besides, using your logic, Justify My Love would also be a Public Enemy cover.

I like lots of hiphop. I own most of the 'classics' (I love Original Gangster, Strictly 4 My Niggaz, Fear Of A Black Planet, Low End Theory, 36 Chambers, Moment Of Truth, etc). But I've come to the conclusion that, at the moment, the genre is mostly infantile horseshit.

A typical mainstream song will consist of an odious idiot bragging about how hard he is and how big his penis is over a simplistic, repetitive beat. True, Rakim only had one subject: 'I'm the greatest', but at least he tried to say he was the greatest in as imaginative or witty way as possible.

I particularly dislike 'conscious' hiphop. As far as I can tell, a typical 'conscious' song will consist of an odious idiot bragging about how intelligent and conscious he is over a boring jazz/soul sample (without ever saying anything that is intelligent - simply stating that he is 'intelligent' ad nausea).

Hiphop gets away with it too often. Recently (sorry for this British example), Bloc Party criticised Oasis for their dumb lyrics. Yet they love Lethal Bizzle, a rapper whose latest album flaunts every negative Black stereotype: violent ('I'll put your face through glass!', 'shoot it! shoot it!'), misogynistic ('Treat them like dirt, don't care if they get hurt!') and full of criminality. I suppose its ok if Black people use lyrics like these because they don't know any better eh?
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2007, 05:54 PM   #26
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
truthfully, i can listen to a hip hop track, and i like some anticon stuff, but listening to a whole hip hop record is one of the most boring, excruciating things on the planet.

Anticon stuff is for people who are scared of the real deal, though. So, listening to another tape rewinded with bits of noisey things on top is less excruciating than listening to a whole hip hop record? You never fail to fascinate me atsonicpark.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 02:21 AM   #27
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
And don't give me that "There are some intelligent rappers" shit, because I haven't heard them.

So if you haven't heard them, then they don't exist? Or because you haven't heard them, you just don't want to hear about them?

Quote:
Even if there was a rapper with something to say, he/she would have to be tight for a whole album, then another album, etc. Eventually, they'd run out of shit to say.

I fail to see how any genre of music leads to burn out any faster than any other. Nor, do I understand why anyone would deny the great art somebody has made if they happen to go on to make shit later. I can fully listen to early David Bowie, Echo & the Bunnymen, or Rolling Stones albums without once concerning myself with how much they later sucked. The phrase "Even if there was a rapper with something to say" reeks mightily of a troll to bait somebody into calling you a racist, by implying that a rapper with something to say is such a novel idea. However, it's so patently ridiculous, it's not worth the accusation you seek.

Quote:
Ever look at the lyrics to a rap song? Even a tune you like and think might be okay looks painfully illiterate on paper.

The lyrics to nearly all popular music look pretty silly on paper without music. '60s comedian Steve Allen did a routine on "Laugh In" where he would recite the words of a popular song as if they were "serious" poetry. This argument is nothing new, and hardly unique to hip hop. However, I think you will find that the lyrics to "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, "Welcome to the Terror Dome" by Public Enemy, and "In Midst of Struggle" by Dalek, to cover three different eras of hip hop, all read quite well off the page, and are densely "literate".

Quote:
And it's all about the words because the music is either a) stolen, or b) a riff that gets repeated 5000 times in three minutes. Isn't it amazing? Any rap group that uses "real insturments" (oooo!!) automatically gets praise? They're fo' real. Gimme a fucking break.

Ah, so we have the old "sampling is stealing" argument. I hear the RIAA is hiring.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 02:23 AM   #28
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
evollove: you suck and your thread gave me a headache
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 05:38 AM   #29
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe I am scared of the real thing, but some of the Anticon stuff I've heard is actually interesting to listen to. I mean, that one Clouddead record that's basically an ambient album with bits of rapping on it? Genius. And Themselves - "Good People Check" might be one of the best songs ever written...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 05:48 AM   #30
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, you're all too easy to piss off.

Rap is for retards. Nuff sed.

(although Public Enemy beat out SY in the famous villiage voice pazz and jop poll, so maybe i'll check that out, despite the fact that they're anti-semetic mushbrained morons)
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 07:13 AM   #31
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Public Enemy's Fear Of A Black Planet or Apocalypse '91... are definitely worth checking out. The former is so dense musically, a collage of hundreds of sounds (they sample everything from funk to metal; and then add samples of drills and sirens over the top!) crafted together in such a seamless way. It's so chaotic and noisy yet oddly danceable too (big basslines!). Chuck has a great voice too...
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 07:26 AM   #32
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Oh, you're all too easy to piss off.

Rap is for retards. Nuff sed.

(although Public Enemy beat out SY in the famous villiage voice pazz and jop poll, so maybe i'll check that out, despite the fact that they're anti-semetic mushbrained morons)

the anti-semetism claims were tenuous at best
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 08:16 AM   #33
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
the anti-semetism claims were tenuous at best

read chuck d's so-called book and get back to me.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 08:56 AM   #34
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
read chuck d's so-called book and get back to me.

yep, i've read that, still the accusations were tenuous.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth