Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.05.2017, 02:39 PM   #48441
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
The Sleaford Mods u fookin cunt!
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2017, 06:18 PM   #48442
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I'll trade my CD of Alien Lanes with someone.

---

BEATLES FOR SALE is a notch below the predecessor HARD DAY's NIGHT, their first masterpiece. HELP! is their second

RUBBER gets by on atmosphere, but there are some real stinkers on there when it comes to actual tunes.

BTW, for the life of me I've never understood the conjunction of RUBBER and REVOLVER. They are often treated as twins. Even George is some doc or other says he feels they're connected. I can't hear it.

Anyway, almost everything after Revolver is a hangover. Strawberry was recorded shortly after Revolver, and they should've quit right then, artistically speaking. Pity.

back on the fucking Beatles again: yes, Rubber Soul has a lot of stinkers. I consider it overrated and the end of something and Revolver being the beginning of something completely fresh.

what would the world be like without Penny Lane, Lucy in the Sky, Help from Friends, A Day in the Life, Walrus, Hey Bulldog, Across the Universe, All you Need, It's all too Much( which would've made a great b-side to Helter Skelter), Revolution, The White Album, Let it Be(naked), Abby Road?

that's crazy good music. I never skip any song on the White Album because listening to it has always been like some ritual or prayer. I have to make time these days to make it all the way through. I skip through Pepper sometimes and I even like When im 64. it's one of those 'pothead' albums like Dark Side of the Moon that you have to hear ripping bong hits. it's still trippy even today.
Old 01.05.2017, 07:22 PM   #48443
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
back on the fucking Beatles again: yes, Rubber Soul has a lot of stinkers. I consider it overrated and the end of something and Revolver being the beginning of something completely fresh.

what would the world be like without Penny Lane, Lucy in the Sky, Help from Friends, A Day in the Life, Walrus, Hey Bulldog, Across the Universe, All you Need, It's all too Much( which would've made a great b-side to Helter Skelter), Revolution, The White Album, Let it Be(naked), Abby Road?

that's crazy good music. I never skip any song on the White Album because listening to it has always been like some ritual or prayer. I have to make time these days to make it all the way through. I skip through Pepper sometimes and I even like When im 64. it's one of those 'pothead' albums like Dark Side of the Moon that you have to hear ripping bong hits. it's still trippy even today.

Yeah man, great moments on The Whit Album. I think the verse of Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill is one of the best pretty much ever. The chord progression, the lyrics, Lennon's voice. God I love that song. And Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey. That's a banger, straight up. Then there's all the other golden songs like I'm so Tired, Back in the USSR, Helter Skelter, fucking Long, Long, Long.

Gotta listen to it now.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2017, 08:16 PM   #48444
pepper_green
Banned

hell yeah, I even like Honey Pie. Cry Baby Cry. Savoy Truffle. it's goofy filler but seems serious because it acts as a whole. the album is one big song. filler or not.

now Julia holds the most to me. not because it's sentimental but because it connects me and my family. have something of a history of this song that's seriously sentimental. sometimes I'll skip it because i'll cry like a little baby. I use to sing it to my daughter after she was born.
Old 01.05.2017, 09:02 PM   #48445
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
hell yeah, I even like Honey Pie. Cry Baby Cry. Savoy Truffle. it's goofy filler but seems serious because it acts as a whole. the album is one big song. filler or not.

now Julia holds the most to me. not because it's sentimental but because it connects me and my family. have something of a history of this song that's seriously sentimental. sometimes I'll skip it because i'll cry like a little baby. I use to sing it to my daughter after she was born.

I think "Sexy Sadie" is probably the one that I get stuck in my head most often. What a great rock song. That would have made a good single. I used to dislike both Lady Madonna and Ob-La-Di but now I like them both. Especially Madonna.
Old 01.05.2017, 09:08 PM   #48446
pepper_green
Banned

Sexy Sadie is perfect. Lady Madonna and Ob blah get laid blah de blah la is a good tune.

look, The Beatles rule, even the stupid shit connects. you love the Beatles and love the fluffy shit. done deal. now fuck off.
Old 01.05.2017, 11:03 PM   #48447
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Sexy Sadie is amazing. What a song. And Im So Tired... Love the white album so hard.
Old 01.06.2017, 04:28 AM   #48448
Blood_Promise
bad moon rising

Blood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's asses

Blood_Promise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2017, 09:06 AM   #48449
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Occurred to me RUBBER SOUL was the last one where everyone played on everything. After that, things began to slowly splinter. Maybe the lack of a "group" feeling to the material is why the later stuff might be well and good, but maybe not as charming or fun? There's a hint of sadness on WHITE album, isn't there? Just me? Never mind.

The Beatles Multi-Track Meltdown podcast is really good. Listened to another last night. Songs I've heard too often to bear to hear again sounded new again, and I hang on every millisecond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
yes, I have that one - and yes it is one that I was planning to get rid of.

If you have an actual list of "want and don't own" lemme know. Maybe I can cross a few off the list at one time?

I racked my brain. That's the only hiphop I want, which I can get for a few bucks at a local used CD chain, if it's in. On the other hand, send me all your unwanted CDs, I'll sell them to this used CD store, and I'll send back half the money plus half the shipping costs. What? You don't trust me? Dick.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2017, 10:31 AM   #48450
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Occurred to me RUBBER SOUL was the last one where everyone played on everything. After that, things began to slowly splinter. Maybe the lack of a "group" feeling to the material is why the later stuff might be well and good, but maybe not as charming or fun? There's a hint of sadness on WHITE album, isn't there? Just me? Never mind.

There is absolutely a kind of disjointed feel to everything that came after Rubber Soul — with the possible exception of Abbey Road, which, with the medley and all, gives the illusion of a united sound, and Let it Be, which I believe did feature the whole band playing together live in the studio at points. But yeah. I think part of it was the discovery of new studio tools and recording techniques, and thr emergence of ego within the band leading to isolated takes and whatnot. You can hear it right from the beginning of Revolver. The solo in "Taxman" for instance sounds like it's passing by in a jet. Compare it to the "Ticket to Ride" solo, which may have been isolated for all I know, but still sounds like an extension of the group energy in the song, and you can see just how different things were before and after.

And Sgt. Pepper? Forget about it. That album sounds like the work of a "band" for exactly one song (the title track). If Revolver was the tipping point for the Beatles-as-rock-band, Sgt. Pepper was when the band (mostly McCartney) sent the whole bloody thing tumbling off a cliff. I think the Beatles' retirment from the road was a major part of this. I read somewhere that Paul said something along the lines of, "now that we're not playing live, the recordings are our performance."

And then you have the White Album, which, let's not mess about, is essentially just 4 solo albums thrown in a blender. Or, I guess more accurately, 2 solo albums (McCartney, Lennon), one EP (Harrison), and a maxi-single (poor Ringo). There is only the slightest hint of cohesion on the record, and it gets out of the way quickly (talking 'bout "U.S.S.R." fading into "Dear Prudence.") The rest of it is well-documented as being the king of all clusterfucks. BUT... I have always preferred interesting and challenging music to easy, catchy music. The kitchen sink nature of The White Album is part of what makes it so great. Where else can you find jaunty western cowboy tunes, proto-metal hard rock, mummy English singer-songwriter schlock, sneering meta-celebrity mockery ("Glass Onion") and a goddamn harpsichord? The personality of the Beatles was almost as important as their music early on, and The White Album was like the systematic destruction of the entire idea of THAT band. Pretty bold, and while it may not play through like Revolver, it has some of the best individual songs the band ever made.

But yeah, long ramble short, Rubber Soul was the last real group efffort Beatles album. I can see how some people like that era of the band, and can't quite get on board with the Beatles as Mccartney's plaything, or as four guys sitting in separate rooms, but for me that's exactly when things got interesting.
Old 01.06.2017, 11:04 AM   #48451
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Forget good or bad. I'm just saying after a point it's obvious they are no longer best mates, and that fact adds a little daub of sadness to the background.
Old 01.06.2017, 11:27 AM   #48452
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Forget good or bad. I'm just saying after a point it's obvious they are no longer best mates, and that fact adds a little daub of sadness to the background.

A little daub? Have you seen Let it Be? Or even the Anthology when Paul
and George are trying to make nice amid pregnant pauses and awkward moments? It's freaking heartbreaking. And yeah, it's palpable in their music after a point.
Old 01.07.2017, 05:22 AM   #48453
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
This song has been stuck in my head for the last week, after watching a documentary on the TV:
CIELITO LINDO - André Rieu in Mexico

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2017, 03:01 AM   #48454
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
New Bowie EP

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xIgdid8dsC8&sns=fb

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2017, 03:07 AM   #48455
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Angel - 2017
https://angelll.bandcamp.com/releases
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2017, 03:35 PM   #48456
evollove
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Have you read "Here, There and Everywhere" by Geoff Emerick?

Finished this afternoon. Great book, certainly in the musical memoir genre. Well-written, human, illuminating.

Most surprising was how the arrangements were sometimes cobbled together in the studio. John comes in with Walrus, plays it on an acoustic and they're off. Sometimes there was some forethought, but it's amazing how often there wasn't.
Old 01.08.2017, 04:17 PM   #48457
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Finished this afternoon. Great book, certainly in the musical memoir genre. Well-written, human, illuminating.

Most surprising was how the arrangements were sometimes cobbled together in the studio. John comes in with Walrus, plays it on an acoustic and they're off. Sometimes there was some forethought, but it's amazing how often there wasn't.

Yeah! There was a lot of spontaneity to some classic Beatles moments.

It's funny also that a song like "Strawberry Fields Forever" took off and spawned the sonic blueprint for Sgt. Pepper's, but wasn't allowed to be on the album by Martin and Epstein (cuz marketing or whatever). But still, off they went, full speed ahead, making their album (and what an album!) despite that bump in the road. They did more improvising than legend would have us believe.
Old 01.08.2017, 05:34 PM   #48458
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666

Today he's 70, in Mars or wherever he is. Almost exactly a year without David — if anyone asked themselves back then, "Well, how bad can a Bowieless year be?", the answer turned out to be EXTREMELY MOTHERFUCKING BAD.

The EP isn't new, though; it's exactly disc two of Lazarus, released last year. But hey, now it has its own title and cover, plus a new video, so thanks for the link.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2017, 04:59 PM   #48459
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Almost exactly a year without David

A year ago to the day. Now playing:

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2017, 09:26 PM   #48460
pepper_green
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah! There was a lot of spontaneity to some classic Beatles moments.

It's funny also that a song like "Strawberry Fields Forever" took off and spawned the sonic blueprint for Sgt. Pepper's, but wasn't allowed to be on the album by Martin and Epstein (cuz marketing or whatever). But still, off they went, full speed ahead, making their album (and what an album!) despite that bump in the road. They did more improvising than legend would have us believe.

I read some Beatles in the studio sessions book long ago but, I don't think it was the one you two are discussing. a "Walrus" acoustic demo? nope. never heard of that.

I really wish someday somebody will release the acoustic White Album demos that was recorded at George's house. instead of some mono dubbed bootleg copy that's out now. they have a super intimate campfire jamboree quality that I like over the original album sometimes.

ever since the anthology series, it is interesting to hear the incubate demo versions of a lot of songs. they're mostly complete and raw without GM adding strings and horns as a counterpoint of the melody. not to mention the instruments John, Paul, George would play without familiarity.
1923232323732413242024212422 2423 242424252426243324732523 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth