Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Noise is.....
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.10.2006, 06:51 PM   #121
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
what i can grasp, and what other people seem to have trouble grasping is that glice is saying that there must be qualities inherent in the music of merzbow that people latch on to that have made him popular in the first place, why so many people like him, how it is that he has come to be in the position of selling more records than other noise acts, must bare some relationship to the sound of the music. if liking music was as entirely subjective, as some people are suggesting, the all bands would have an approximately equal number of fans. surely in a field like noise, that is particularly underground to the point where, in comparison to almost all other genres of music, there is very little in the way of touring bands, or marketing, or media coverage, where due to practical financial reasons most releases are highly limited, where word of mouth is among the primary means of information dissemination, that an artist's popularity must have some relationship to what people feel they gain from listening to the sound of said artist's music, otherwise all noise bands would have an even listnership. Therefore, we can safely assume that merzbow's music has qualities that other Noise music lacks, but also, that if one piece of Noise music has qualities, then these same qualities are applicable to the whole genre, but in varying amounts. Therefore, Glice is trying to determine what it is that these qualities are, and not just, "i like merzbow because i just do", which is equivalent to saying "i don't know why i like it". some people's attitude seems to be that they aren't interested in understanding why they like something in anymore than the most superficial way, those people then accuse anyone who is interested in trying to understand of being pretentious.
i can understand that intellectualizing noise seems to be in opposition to the spirit of the genre, but it is very difficult to talk clearly and precisely about such things without using very careful phrasing (to avoid being misunderstood) and specific terms that are outside normal day to day vocabulary.

anyway noumenal, i think i called you pretentious in that thread about rocknroll, because you did say something that was a bit pretentious! normally i don't find you pretentious! (although i can be prone to flare up about such things due to experiencing severe pretense-o-twat fatigue in my real life)

sorry if i didn't need to paraphrase what other people have already been saying, but it seemed like other people were missing their points entirely.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2006, 06:53 PM   #122
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
what i can grasp, and what other people seem to have trouble grasping is that glice is saying that there must be qualities inherent in the music of merzbow that people latch on to that have made him popular in the first place, why so many people like him, how it is that he has come to be in the position of selling more records than other noise acts, must bare some relationship to the sound of the music. if liking music was as entirely subjective, as some people are suggesting, the all bands would have an approximately equal number of fans. surely in a field like noise, that is particularly underground to the point where, in comparison to almost all other genres of music, there is very little in the way of touring bands, or marketing, or media coverage, where due to practical financial reasons most releases are highly limited, where word of mouth is among the primary means of information dissemination, that an artist's popularity must have some relationship to what people feel they gain from listening to the sound of said artist's music, otherwise all noise bands would have an even listnership. Therefore, we can safely assume that merzbow's music has qualities that other Noise music lacks, but also, that if one piece of Noise music has qualities, then these same qualities are applicable to the whole genre, but in varying amounts. Therefore, Glice is trying to determine what it is that these qualities are, and not just, "i like merzbow because i just do", which is equivalent to saying "i don't know why i like it". some people's attitude seems to be that they aren't interested in understanding why they like something in anymore than the most superficial way, those people then accuse anyone who is interested in trying to understand of being pretentious.
i can understand that intellectualizing noise seems to be in opposition to the spirit of the genre, but it is very difficult to talk clearly and precisely about such things without using very careful phrasing (to avoid being misunderstood) and specific terms that are outside normal day to day vocabulary.

anyway noumenal, i think i called you pretentious in that thread about rocknroll, because you did say something that was a bit pretentious! normally i don't find you pretentious! (although i can be prone to flare up about such things due to experiencing severe pretense-o-twat fatigue in my real life)

sorry if i didn't need to paraphrase what other people have already been saying, but it seemed like other people were missing their points entirely.

God fucking bless you.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2006, 06:57 PM   #123
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
You can have it if you want, but it's damn expensive.
Such is the situation with old Merzbow; 4,978 releases, all in stupidly tiny quantities.
The guy is a completist's nightmare!

do you get in trouble for dubbing LPs at work on to tape?
Old 04.10.2006, 07:00 PM   #124
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
(although i can be prone to flare up about such things due to experiencing severe pretense-o-twat fatigue in my real life)

Do you live in Shoreditch, by any chance? Or Manchester?

I don't think you were paraphrasing by the way; I don't necessarily explain these things terribly well, and you've articulated it somewhat more eruditely than I managed to (I feel the fury...)...

Yes. Now, more pressing matters. There aren't enough votes in my cock poll.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2006, 07:04 PM   #125
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Do you live in Shoreditch, by any chance?

yep, right in the centre. and i go to st.martins!
Old 04.10.2006, 07:10 PM   #126
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
yep, right in the centre. and i go to st.martins!

but i don't dress like a dick head.
Old 04.10.2006, 07:12 PM   #127
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Excellent. Well, perhaps you'd support my 'non-voluntary euthenasia for the sort of people who give Shoreditch a bad name' campaign?

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 04.10.2006, 08:16 PM   #128
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Excellent. Well, perhaps you'd support my 'non-voluntary euthenasia for the sort of people who give Shoreditch a bad name' campaign?

Oh, would I!
Old 04.10.2006, 08:50 PM   #129
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
noise is... the sound of me burning this computer, in awe that i just wasted 30 minutes of my life reading this thread.

now my opinion (yay!)

i can absolutly say that there is good and bad noise, their has to be, because any wanker with a digitech can make noise so their must be some defining qualities to the more successfull noise makers. there certainly is noise that i dislike, merzbow has records that i think really suck and some that i think are awe inspiring which is also due to the magnitude of his catalog. merzbow also has been going for 25+ years, got alot of exposure in his early days by RRR, sonic youth, and many others.

i guess it may not be classified as good or bad, but as taste. this is the same for any type of music. people all togather are quick to jump to conclusions about peoples skill by how their music appeals to them, and their reading on the popular scale. merzbow defiantly has skill, but to me 3/4 of his records dont appeal to me. good charlotte have skill, they play their instruments better than some, not as well as others. personally they dont appeal to me at all, but they must have some skill.

i approch noise as any other genre, im a fan blues-rock but i prefer the black keys over the white stripes. there is something in the black keys i latch onto more, by these standards you guys would say the black keys are better, but i say they appeal to me and i like them more.

i really cringe at calling any genre of music art. by the book definition it may be, but its just blah

and

Quote:
Point taken. But, I myself can't help but feel overwhelmed everytime I hear something like "Hidros 3", or "In The Fishtank". & to me, being overwhelmed is an example of art.

thats not noise
Old 04.10.2006, 09:04 PM   #130
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
pwnd.

Hidros 3? Noise?

Bitch, please.
Old 04.10.2006, 09:43 PM   #131
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Maybe the thread should have been, " SY noise is.....".
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2006, 09:43 PM   #132
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Sound is fucking soundwaves. That's not art.
Old 04.10.2006, 10:19 PM   #133
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Sound is fucking soundwaves. That's not art.

you're so totally right!!! art is only paintings of fruit bowls and dogs playing pool.
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 12:32 AM   #134
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
...noise. Noise is no more significant than any other art form, if it even qualifies as that.

There, is everyone happy now.
-George Carlin
Old 04.11.2006, 12:34 AM   #135
!@#%$!

Noise is music, dude! Noise totally rocks, mofo!!!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 12:38 AM   #136
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#%$!
Noise is music, dude! Noise totally rocks, mofo!!!

I would agree w/ that sentiment. Wouldn't you?

(I can't believe !@#%$! & I agree on something. WOW!)
-George Carlin
Old 04.11.2006, 07:37 AM   #137
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden child
noise is... the sound of me burning this computer, in awe that i just wasted 30 minutes of my life reading this thread.

now my opinion (yay!)

i can absolutly say that there is good and bad noise, .............................BLABLABLA............ ...................................
BLABLABLA....and

thats not noise

you may have spent 30 minutes reading this thread, but you clearly haven't taken it in.
Old 04.11.2006, 07:42 AM   #138
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Yes, listen to Toilets & Bowels. This thread is way to significant for anyone to take in. (ha ha) Just kidding.
-George Carlin
Old 04.11.2006, 07:46 AM   #139
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
you may have spent 30 minutes reading this thread, but you clearly haven't taken it in.

I'm going to say cock. That always cheers me up. Saves me from getting irate again.

Cock.

Quote:
Old 04.11.2006, 08:56 AM   #140
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
bum

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth