Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Possible UK Iraq War Inquiry
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.26.2006, 05:11 PM   #1
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
The right of victim's families to legally question the validity of the war in Iraq has been backed in the UK today for judges. Nothing definite, of course, but one can live in hope. From Telegraph.com:

'Stunning victory' for Iraq inquiry families
(Filed: 26/07/2006)

The families of four British soldiers killed in Iraq have won a legal breakthrough in their attempt to force a full public inquiry into why Britain entered the conflict.

In what their lawyers described as "a stunning victory", the Court of Appeal ruled they were entitled to apply for judicial review of the Government's refusal to hold an independent inquiry.

But the judges warned the families that they saw "formidable hurdles" in the way of a full inquiry ever being granted

"We are doubtful whether it would be appropriate to order a public inquiry of the kind sought," they said.

Today's ruling was given by a panel of top judges - Sir Anthony Clarke, the Master of the Rolls, Lord Justice Judge, president of the Queen's Bench Division, and Lord Justice Dyson.

The full hearing will take place before the same judges over two or three days, beginning on Nov 6.

Despite the judges' warning on the families' prospects of success, their solicitor, Phil Shiner, said the ruling would force the Government to publish evidence on how the country was taken to war.

Mr Shiner said: "In particular, the Government must finally explain how the 13-page equivocal advice from the Attorney General of March 7, 2003 was changed within 10 days to a one-page completely unequivocal advice that an invasion would be legal.

"My clients believe he impermissibly changed his advice because he was sat on by the Prime Minister and others in Government.

"In changing his advice, he sent these soldiers to their deaths."

Today's action was brought by Peter Brierley, the father of Shaun Brierley; Beverley Clarke, the mother of David Clarke; Rose Gentle, the mother of Gordon Gentle, and Susan Smith, the mother of Phillip Hewett.

Peter Brierley said that the ruling completely vindicated his pursuit of the Government through the courts.

"I am convinced that my son died for no good reason as he should not have been sent to Iraq in the first place," he said.

" I am looking forward to hearing the three defendants having to explain how they justify the invasion."

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 06:26 PM   #2
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
More US troops are being deployed......sweet. Bush had that stupid ass grin on his face when he was walking up to the podium to announce it. "Heh heh heh.....not my kids or my friends....heh heh heh."
Old 07.27.2006, 05:10 AM   #3
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
I disagree with the war in Iraq and the decisions made by the UK and others to send troops to that forsaken place. I understand the reasons why the families of soldiers lost in combat ask for a public inquiry. What I find pathetic is the fact that all soldiers know what they're getting into when they go to war. They get paid a good salary to go there and that's one of the main reason why most of them choose to take on that profession. Then when they come back in bodybags, relatives are surprised and angry at their leaders.
What I'm saying is maybe a little difficult to swallow, but they should have thought about the consequences of their actions.
Old 07.27.2006, 05:13 AM   #4
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
I'm almost sure that this inquiry won't amount to anything and the loved ones will sadly be left empty handed.
Old 07.27.2006, 09:05 AM   #5
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
when i was in the states recently i was sat at a trian station and talked with a guy who just came back from iraq. he was a marine but was injured and so had to return. he had killed three people he said and saw some god awful stuff. then this 18 year old dufuss joins in saying he is reruiting next week and all he wants to know about is what weapons they use and cool guns they have etc. the ex marine told him not too and from the look on his face you could see the damage it must have done to his mind.

i think the important bit in the report is the major hurdles bit. it will take years to get anywhere and even then blair, hoon, straw etc wont be in power and not held responsible.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2006, 11:58 AM   #6
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
It's very unlikely that much will come of it, of course. From my point of view, it's just always good to see judges standing up for what's right. They are a largely untapped and forgotten about public resource.

And anything that causes embarrassment to this government is a good thing.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth