Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Leonard Bernstein
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.23.2007, 08:36 AM   #1
sarramkrop

I got interested in his music through finding out that John Cale had moved to NYC after he gained a Bernstein scholarship to study there. Any admirers of his? Check out the dvd where he performs the Mahler symphonies because it's top notch stuff.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 12:54 PM   #2
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
I have one of his Mahler recordings - Symphony No.3. It's a good recording. I also have this recording of him conducting the St. Matthew Passion (in English) and there's a track at the end of him discussing it. Neat-o.

I like his music too, but I haven't delved into it as much as I'd like. I'd like to get a recording of his symphonies.

A couple things I can recommend though are his one-act opera Trouble in Tahiti (there's a good DVD floating around out there/I had the luck to perform it one time and it really grew on me) and his book The Unswered Question, which is fascinating.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 06:39 PM   #3
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know anything about his music but I just listened to some on his website The Age of Anxiety and it sounds great.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 07:07 PM   #4
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I Love Bernstein.

West Side Story is only musical I can tolorate

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth