Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Which SY-album are you most unfamiliar with ?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.07.2011, 07:19 PM   #41
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
I like EJST&NS still quite a bit. Hell, it's the first album of theirs I heard and the one that made me a fan. But I'll definitely admit it's an album that sounds like they made it just to make an album. But you're out of your mind if you don't know that Sweet Shine fucking RULES!

QFT!

Sweet Shine = top ten SY songs ever. Easy.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2011, 11:27 PM   #42
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
Me too, I will try and give it another listen today.
I have listened it maybe ten times. I don´t believe it will open me like the other SY-stuff, but I believe I will listen it in the future sometimes when I´m in a need of very chaotic feelings. But anyway I think in that mini-lp their creativity is not in the normal level.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2011, 01:34 AM   #43
lo-fi suicide
bad moon rising

lo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Dude.. how is that even possible?

How can you be a SY fan, a big enough fan to post on an SY board, and not be familiar with "Shadow of a Doubt", "Starpower, "Green Light", etc. ?

I don't get it.

Oh, now I remember, thanks
Maybe I'll "cover" something else off EVOL.
Old 10.08.2011, 03:41 AM   #44
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I like Experimental Jet Set. I like how minimal it is. Sounds like Sonic Youth just rockin' out in a garage somewhere. Of course, the songs aren't as good as those off of Dirty, but it's still an interesting album.

I LOVE NYCG+F, if only because it stands out so well when compared to the rest of the records (I guess the same thing can be said about Rather Ripped, more on that later). It took a while for this one to grow on me, but when it did it never really stopped growing. It has that same "sonic mystery" vibe that came along with some of their earlier stuff (just really "out there" and thought provoking), but experimental in a different kind of way. The only SY album that I'll actually listen to while paying close attention to the lyrics (something I seldom do for any album). Just poetic and chaotic and beautiful and everything I love about Sonic Youth. Hear something new whenever I give it a listen.

As far as Rather Ripped: I always thought the album sounded very uninspired, which doesn't make for a very inspirational album whenever I'm (which is basically never) listening to it. A very "easy listen", which wasn't and isn't anything I ever wanted out of SY. There are a couple tracks that stand out, most notably "Rats" (but then again, almost everything Lee does is just fantastic). "Do You Believe In Rapture" has got to be the worst song in their entire catalog. Every great band, especially those that have been together so long, are allowed a terrible album here and there. Thankfully though, this is the only terrible album the Youth have been responsible for.
Old 10.08.2011, 05:15 AM   #45
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
I like Experimental Jet Set. I like how minimal it is. Sounds like Sonic Youth just rockin' out in a garage somewhere. Of course, the songs aren't as good as those off of Dirty, but it's still an interesting album.

Pretty good point. It's a real bare bones sounding album, which I guess is a big part of the appeal to me. It's definitely different from their others.

The really truly interesting thing about Jet Set to me though is that for all this time it has always felt like some secret album that no one ever really knows about but me. Like I'm the only one who knows about this album, and somehow that makes it really personal to me. Of course everyone does know about it, but you know what I mean.

I guess it's because no one ever really wants to talk about it. The band never plays songs from that album, no one will ever write a book specifically about it, I highly doubt it will ever be in anyone's top three sonic youth albums. The only time it ever gets brought up is in these types of threads where someone chimes in 'oh and by the way, what the hell is the deal with EJST&NS?'

So sure, probably one of the worst ones by default given it's competition, but there's still some secret mysterious aura about it that's fascinating to me. I might go put it on in a minute haha.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2011, 05:32 AM   #46
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Pretty good point. It's a real bare bones sounding album, which I guess is a big part of the appeal to me. It's definitely different from their others.

The really truly interesting thing about Jet Set to me though is that for all this time it has always felt like some secret album that no one ever really knows about but me. Like I'm the only one who knows about this album, and somehow that makes it really personal to me. Of course everyone does know about it, but you know what I mean.

I guess it's because no one ever really wants to talk about it. The band never plays songs from that album, no one will ever write a book specifically about it, I highly doubt it will ever be in anyone's top three sonic youth albums. The only time it ever gets brought up is in these types of threads where someone chimes in 'oh and by the way, what the hell is the deal with EJST&NS?'

So sure, probably one of the worst ones by default given it's competition, but there's still some secret mysterious aura about it that's fascinating to me. I might go put it on in a minute haha.

It's definitely one of those people don't mention often whenever discussing the band. And quite honestly, I seldom listen to it probably at least partially for that very reason...seldom am I led to think about it. Whenever I do listen to it, though, I always enjoy it. Was the third Sonic Youth album I owned (first: A Thousand Leaves, which is my favorite. second: Screaming Fields of Sonic Love, which back then served as a great introduction to some of the bands other material, but being that I own all that other material it serves little purpose for me these days. Either way, A great compilation). It definitely sounds and feels more so like some rare/jam session than anything....which, is appealing to me. I always loved the sleeve(ssss), too.

And what about those Winners Blues?
Old 10.08.2011, 09:21 PM   #47
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
It's funny that EJS was supposed to be a kind of mainstream rock record- or at least that's what I get from G20C... that they actually just wanted to rock out a bit, but what came out was weirder by far than anything before it.

I will always love EJS. Like most of you, I was a 90's kid (read: I'm an old fart) and I remember when it came out, even though I wasn't quite into SY yet. It was my first SY album, and listening to it brings back memories of junior high and high school.

Yeah, it's weird as hell... but it's not a non-album. Some people seem to treat it that way, but it's an important part of SY's history. The transition from Dirty to Washing Machine.... it's all exposed in EJS. Everything's just laid out in the open, and the album feels so free and spirited.

Look at modern rock now- it seems impossible that DGC would ever release an album like EJS, especially when they were expecting SY to be some breakout pop sensation. All the sparsity and spaciousness of EJS is utilized in Washing Machine, which is the band's defining 90's album (though not their best).
Old 10.08.2011, 09:21 PM   #48
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

... not the best SY album, but still light years ahead of Dirty, which was also awesome in many ways.
Old 10.08.2011, 11:46 PM   #49
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
It's funny that EJS was supposed to be a kind of mainstream rock record- or at least that's what I get from G20C... that they actually just wanted to rock out a bit, but what came out was weirder by far than anything before it.

I will always love EJS. Like most of you, I was a 90's kid (read: I'm an old fart) and I remember when it came out, even though I wasn't quite into SY yet. It was my first SY album, and listening to it brings back memories of junior high and high school.

Yeah, it's weird as hell... but it's not a non-album. Some people seem to treat it that way, but it's an important part of SY's history. The transition from Dirty to Washing Machine.... it's all exposed in EJS. Everything's just laid out in the open, and the album feels so free and spirited.

Look at modern rock now- it seems impossible that DGC would ever release an album like EJS, especially when they were expecting SY to be some breakout pop sensation. All the sparsity and spaciousness of EJS is utilized in Washing Machine, which is the band's defining 90's album (though not their best).

As a whole, I always thought EJS was far better than Washing Machine (even if nothing on EJS can really compare to the utter beauty of Diamond Sea). Washing Machine definitely marked the beginning of a new chapter for the band, even if most of what followed ended up being better.
Old 10.09.2011, 04:11 AM   #50
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
As a whole, I always thought EJS was far better than Washing Machine (even if nothing on EJS can really compare to the utter beauty of Diamond Sea). Washing Machine definitely marked the beginning of a new chapter for the band, even if most of what followed ended up being better.

Are you out of your mind? Experimental Jet Set better than Washing Machine? Come on.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2011, 04:39 AM   #51
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Are you out of your mind? Experimental Jet Set better than Washing Machine? Come on.

Actually, I think I could agree on that one but at the same time not.

Washing Machine is an awesome album because there's a cear difference between all the songs while EJST&NS is more like an album that flows all the way through (at least that's how I feel about it).

None of em is better, but they're good in different ways..but I try not to listen to Washing Machine too often cause it's the kind of album you really gotta be in the mood for and not waste away like you can do with EJST&NS..
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2011, 05:51 AM   #52
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_

I like a few songs off of Washing Machine (Skip Tracer and Diamond Sea are two of my favorite Sonic Youth songs, period) but find the majority of the album to be kind of boring. But like I was saying, I definitely think it was a sign of things to come. Better things/etc.
Old 10.09.2011, 01:00 PM   #53
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Washing Machine, despite having no bad songs, and a handful of GREAT ones, is actually one of my least* favorite SY albums. Not sure why. I just think it was totally outdone by ATL, and that in hindsight, it was little more than a practice run for an infinitely more perfect album.

Don't shoot me. I know, it's sacrilege. But even though WM's songs are great individually, I never play it straight through like I do with others (Jet Set included).
Old 10.10.2011, 09:22 AM   #54
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
To me Washing Machine really meaned a new great period to begin in SY. After EJSTANS I was thinking that maybe Sonic Youth will not be one of my favourite bands anymore. But the first moment I heard Washing Machine I just loved it. And I still love all the songs in Washing Machine. To me Washing Machine is as strong entity as ATL, I always listen them both fully (well it´s very rare I don´t listen the whole album, but in many albums I found myself thinking something else in the time of some songs but not in Washing or ATL). Maybe ATL is a little better, but just a little.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2011, 09:44 AM   #55
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I believe Dirty was their lowest point besides Rather Ripped.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2011, 10:45 AM   #56
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
I love Dirty, it's just that it defnielty misses something that wants you to listen to it again, that's all.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2011, 10:50 AM   #57
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
From the time it came out until 1998, Dirty was my favorite SY record.
Now I wouldn't put it in my top 5.
Old 10.10.2011, 01:59 PM   #58
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hmm. I don't think they were anywhere near breaking up during that period. Or during any other period, really.

I love EJS. It was my first SY album. It's like their White Album sorta, even though it's a Thurston/Kim affair and not really a "whole group" album. It's just crazy and laid back and unconcerned and totally badass.

Ive always divided the band's output into 3/4 album bursts, and EJS represents the end of the period where they first attained mainstream popularity. I may be misremembering but im sure ive read something about the early 90s being a time when there were rumblings about it, and that would make sense given the fact theyd completed the underground to mainstream journey. Alot of people might have thought "where else is there to go?"

EJS is a fundamentally inconsitent album for me, though it has its moments it doesnt hold together and could have done with losing 3 or 4 songs. I think Washing Machine is overrated, but it follows its own internal thread in a way that EJS really doesnt, which is what marks EJS out from all their other releases

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2011, 02:15 PM   #59
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
Me too, I will try and give it another listen today.

In The Fishtank is probably the only SY release I genuinely don't like.
Old 10.10.2011, 03:58 PM   #60
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
^ I can see that. I listened to it a few times and it's also on an SY mixtape Peltor Sent me.

Seems like a bunch of tomfoolery to me.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth