Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Can anyone with interest in physics and cosmology let me know what they think?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.15.2009, 09:33 AM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
watching a show about telescopes I was struck by this last night. background.
Up until this century the universe was seen as STATIC, neither expanding nor contracting.
Hubble discovered that nearly everything in our sky (stars, galaxies, galaxy clusters, etc.) seems to be receding away from us. This led to the expanding universe theory, and the Big bang Theory, which have been fairly well confirmed.
everyone assumed that the universe started expanding super fast and has slowed dwn over the billiosn of years due to gravitational pull of all matter in universe.
tests done by scientists in the 80's and 90's showed that surprisingly, the expansion of the universe is accelerating! thisled people to posit the existence of a dark energy (energy we cannot yet detect) that is driving this expansion.
Now... to me that has always sounded like a crazy make-em-up.

this is what I wrote last night.

a universeexpands, ("Big Bang") irregularities begin to form
matter coalesces into clumps eventually resulting in the various galaxies we see
as local gravitation centers create these "clumps" they also create spaces of empty void.
originally, gravity would slow down expansion of Universe quite aggressively, but since gravity decreases as the SQUARE of the distance there would have to be a moment in the Universe's expansion when, as the clumps are separating themselves
from each other with ever-increasing voids, the collective Universal gravitational pull would decrease ever
faster allowing for the continuing burst of the expansion to have ever more power in the "outward" manner as the
gravity of the whole has in the "inward" manner. would this explain why the universe appears to us now, 15-18 BILLION years (at least) later to be steadily , to be increasing in it's rate of expansion from our local point of view? does this make sense?
Old 04.15.2009, 09:37 AM   #2
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I like cake.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 09:46 AM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I have an interest in psychics and cosmetology, is that close?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
close but no cigar

Old 04.15.2009, 10:18 AM   #5
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not sure what you mean, but I've heard in the LHC rap, that gravity is a *weak* force, that is weaker than the force(s) which rule sub-atomic matter.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 10:33 AM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
watching a show about telescopes I was struck by this last night. background.
Up until this century the universe was seen as STATIC, neither expanding nor contracting.
Hubble discovered that nearly everything in our sky (stars, galaxies, galaxy clusters, etc.) seems to be receding away from us. This led to the expanding universe theory, and the Big bang Theory, which have been fairly well confirmed.
everyone assumed that the universe started expanding super fast and has slowed dwn over the billiosn of years due to gravitational pull of all matter in universe.
tests done by scientists in the 80's and 90's showed that surprisingly, the expansion of the universe is accelerating! thisled people to posit the existence of a dark energy (energy we cannot yet detect) that is driving this expansion.
Now... to me that has always sounded like a crazy make-em-up.

this is what I wrote last night.

a universeexpands, ("Big Bang") irregularities begin to form
matter coalesces into clumps eventually resulting in the various galaxies we see
as local gravitation centers create these "clumps" they also create spaces of empty void.
originally, gravity would slow down expansion of Universe quite aggressively, but since gravity decreases as the SQUARE of the distance there would have to be a moment in the Universe's expansion when, as the clumps are separating themselves
from each other with ever-increasing voids, the collective Universal gravitational pull would decrease ever
faster allowing for the continuing burst of the expansion to have ever more power in the "outward" manner as the
gravity of the whole has in the "inward" manner. would this explain why the universe appears to us now, 15-18 BILLION years (at least) later to be steadily , to be increasing in it's rate of expansion from our local point of view? does this make sense?

I believe the answer is yes.

The expansion continues and even increases because the gravity increases to a point of condensation in which the condensed energy become excessive and expands against the inward pull, sort of like winding a rubber band back, it will inevitably swing forward. Remember gravity is part of the mechanics of every atom and atomic particle, and acts on the sub-atomic level, and so is fundamentally different then the casual or common sense experience of gravity. In my own interpretation, gravity is the endless decay of death which attempts to implode EVERYTHING, where as the bursting energy of livity brings about the contrary expansion which creates the balance.

on another note, hubble observations speculate the age of this version of the universe to be approximately 14 billion years, and current estimates place the human population over its entire and current existence to be approximately 14 billion people, thats a person a year.. the kind of "coincidences" that occur like the fact that the salinity of your blood is the exact same as the salinity of the ocean.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 10:34 AM   #7
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I have an interest in psychics and cosmetology, is that close?

does that include quantum manicures and thermodynamic dye jobs?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 11:25 AM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
A long story short - there are far too many clauses not clearly distinguished; whatever you're saying comes across as convoluted stoner-speak. In terms of the actual content, I'm not sure you're saying anything at all, it's all speculative words with no actual point, so far as I can make out.

I'm no physicist, but there's no clear indication what relationship these (ill-defined) 'clumps' have to the 'universal gravitational pull'

"the clumps are separating themselves
faster"

I'm not being terrifically helpful, but you're not being terrifical clear, capiche?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 11:29 AM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

obviously yr no physicist.

everything I said is standard physics man.

the clumps are galaxies/galaxy clusters
the voids become the ever expanding space between the galaxies.
dig?
Old 04.15.2009, 11:41 AM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It's still a badly put together argument, whether it's well-known material or not. Dig?

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 04.15.2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, the first thing i thought was he must have been high.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 12:09 PM   #12
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses

afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 12:10 PM   #13
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
my previous post performed a quantum slip and disappeared.

.....take:deux:

spatial expansion is the result of our visible universe resting upon a balloon-shaped membrane. as this inflates, any given point moves further away from it's neighbor.

the crux is, current models for universal expansion cannot explain the increasing amount of red-shift measured (hence the drive to prove and observe the existance of dark matter/energy). we can see the effect of it's force (increasingly faster expansion), but cannot perceive the cause.

my long-time theory about the Big Bang event is that it is akin to a "white hole". that is, a singularity that has reached a certain critical mass of accretion and then began "dumping" it's meal down one dimensional level in order to maintain homeostasis. the x-rays released via Hawking radiation are not sufficient enough to disperse everything, and it simply adds up. basically, black holes are cosmic bulimics, happily binging and purging away.

that said, I believe that it's possible that other (smaller) white holes exist and are adding new mass by the nano-second, thereby expanding the membrane that we rest on, faster and faster. or, expansion into nearby dimensions is causing a warp effect on our own.

synopsis: you better ask jesus.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 12:22 PM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
It's still a badly put together argument, whether it's well-known material or not. Dig?

it is not an argument, just a contemplation on something that may negate the need for "dark energy" as an explanation of the increasing expansion of the universe.
Old 04.15.2009, 12:38 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
my previous post performed a quantum slip and disappeared.

.....take:deux:

spatial expansion is the result of our visible universe resting upon a balloon-shaped membrane. as this inflates, any given point moves further away from it's neighbor.

the crux is, current models for universal expansion cannot explain the increasing amount of red-shift measured (hence the drive to prove and observe the existance of dark matter/energy). we can see the effect of it's force (increasingly faster expansion), but cannot perceive the cause.

my long-time theory about the Big Bang event is that it is akin to a "white hole". that is, a singularity that has reached a certain critical mass of accretion and then began "dumping" it's meal down one dimensional level in order to maintain homeostasis. the x-rays released via Hawking radiation are not sufficient enough to disperse everything, and it simply adds up. basically, black holes are cosmic bulimics, happily binging and purging away.

that said, I believe that it's possible that other (smaller) white holes exist and are adding new mass by the nano-second, thereby expanding the membrane that we rest on, faster and faster. or, expansion into nearby dimensions is causing a warp effect on our own.

synopsis: you better ask jesus.

This is cogent. If this post had 'does this make sense?' at the end of it, I would say 'yes'. ESPECIALLY as there's analogies in it. I realise this is the internet and not, y'know, school and shit, so apologies and all. But the above is simply clearer.

Quote:
Old 04.15.2009, 01:00 PM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I should have been clearer. I meant to ask if mathematically/scientifically, the steady increase in distance between gravitational sources would account for the lack of a general decrease , and in fact, apparent increase, in the rate of the Universe's expansion.

and OF COURSE I was high! shit!

some get a kick from champagne
mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all........

Old 04.15.2009, 01:06 PM   #17
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
that said, I believe that it's possible that other (smaller) white holes exist and are adding new mass by the nano-second
New mass hopefully brought into existence via the Higgs boson.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 01:08 PM   #18
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
whatever you're saying comes across as convoluted stoner-speak.
Yeah, well, that's just like uh... your opinion, man.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 01:11 PM   #19
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Stuff like this happens every time my parents watch The Universe while high. My dad is a stoner physicist, so I've heard some far out theories in my life.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 01:33 PM   #20
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
for the record: I resent being forced to "break character". if I can't play stupid, I do not wish to play at all.

the gravitational pull of my posts (secondary to their increasing mass) is about to cause yr everything to collapse.

Quote:
I should have been clearer. I meant to ask if mathematically/scientifically, the steady increase in distance between gravitational sources would account for the lack of a general decrease , and in fact, apparent increase, in the rate of the Universe's expansion.

I think what you are trying to say is that "due to gravitation effect being weaker (at distance), expansion itself is making it easier to expand".

I believe that you may be mistaking Newton's gravitational constant with local gravitational fields. gravity is such a weak force at distance, that despite it's ability to traverse great distance, the actual force applied (or in yr case, lack thereof) is too negligable to account for the excessive acceleration.

it's a fairly simple equation to compute gravitational pull between two astral bodies (F=G[m1m2/r^2]), so I'm going to go on the assumption that the Big Heads have worked this out on their slide-rules.

you need to look toward the cosmological constant (and it's basis in negative-pressure energy) for yr answer (or again, maybe, jesus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
New mass hopefully brought into existence via the Higgs boson.

^^^ this.

my money is on micro-singularities.

Quote:
some get a kick from champagne
mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all........

who the hell smokes beer? hurry, there's only one left.

ps: "does this make sense?"

psps: where the fuck is Atari when you need him. UFOs can fuck off.

pspsps: in the year that it took to write this, another person was surely born.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth