Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What are you playing?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.30.2010, 02:25 AM   #2621
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
NP:

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 02:28 AM   #2622
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Bought a PS3.

Playin' LittleBigPlanet.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 02:29 AM   #2623
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Just d/l'ed

Old 09.30.2010, 02:33 AM   #2624
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Hey pbradley! Would you mind posting a bit of your opinion on the game? I don't own a PS3, but it looks pretty neat. Thanks.

@ ASP Jet Grind Radio is the shit! I haven't gotten to try Cannon Spike yet. But I can guarantee that you're going to LOVE Mars Matrix!
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 02:51 AM   #2625
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Holy shit -- I'm getting this..

Beats of Rage: Resident Evil 1 and 2! It's a Streets of Rage/Final Fight/Fighting Force/Double Dragon-ish game, based on RE 1 and 2 with new beautiful hand drawn RE sprites. My 42 year old friend Brian is the biggest Resident Evil fan in the world, I'm going to invite him over and put this game in and watch him go, "Whoa!!!"

Now, ladies and gentlemen, I feel kinda compelled to make my top 12 shooters of all time list...

Old 09.30.2010, 02:52 AM   #2626
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

ahem

Old 09.30.2010, 03:06 AM   #2627
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

My current top 12 shoot em ups (doesn't include "tunnel shooters" like Internal Section and Tempest X, or hybrids like Panzer Dragoon and Rez (or even stuff like Geometry Wars) -- those games would all be in my top 12, but this list is for more traditional titles):

12. dodonpachi (psx/saturn) - Simply one of the most intense games ever. Beautiful.

11. zanacXzanac (psx) - Two great games on one disc. While some shooters are "classic" but feel kinda musty, Zanac never lost its touch. The sequel on this disc is even better.

10. border down (dreamcast) - I played this game on my friend Nathan's old Dreamcast to death, and nostalgia for this classic is one of the main reason I bought a Dreamcast for myself.

9. Chaos Field (dreamcast/gamecube) - One of the most underrated games ever! Almost completely comprised of boss fights, but man, what boss fights they are! One of the best soundtracks ever. Just an amazing game, if you take the time to understand its complexities. This is what's commonly known as a "Gamer's game". Only hardcore fans of this genre will "get" the beauty of this game! At first, I was like "hmm.. only boss fights... huhh.. uh..." but something clicked. Everything adds up to a truly beautiful, one-of-a-kind experience... hard to explain, and challenging as hell. But you need to play it at least once.

Old 09.30.2010, 03:07 AM   #2628
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Angry Birds (iPhone app)

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 03:15 AM   #2629
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

8. radio allergy/radilgy (dreamcast/wii) - Another underrated game, from the creators of Chaos Field. Instead of flying through space, you kinda explore similar territory as the Raiden games, in a sense, with vast colorful cityscapes that you can destroy.. this has the coolest graphics of any shooter ever, a unique soundtrack, and, yep, a sword. Just a supremely fun game.

7. raycrisis (psx/ps2) - RayStorm is fun, but this game is amazing! Man, it's really hard to write good descriptions for these things... "duh, like.. ya shoot stuff, man."

6. g darius (psx) - One epic, insane shooter! Kinda scary too -- all those fucking fish.

5. recca summer carnival (nes) - One of the rarest games ever, unfortunately, but do yourself a favor and get a ROM of this. AMAZING high-speed trance techno tracks (on the NES!) and some of the fastest gameplay ever. Pure brilliance.

Old 09.30.2010, 03:31 AM   #2630
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

4. thunderforce v (psx) - One of the few 10/10 perfect games, I think. Yeah, I personally like the next 3 games on my list a bit more, but this game is, like, the smoothest, most consistent, most game game, if that makes sense. In other words, it's so pure, it's like a shooting archetype, the measuring stick or whatever. It's that feeling I get when listening to an Aphex Twin album -- it's what most other musicians are measured by. Still, too much perfection is a mistake, and while I think this technically might be, all around, the best shooter ever, it isn't personally my favorite when compared to the next 3. But if you just want your mind blown apart, by all means check it out!

3. gradius v (ps2) - I would probably marry this game if I could. Developed by Treasure, published by Konami, and featuring music by the Final Fantasy Tactics and Odin Sphere guy (so, in other words, FUCKING EPIC STUFF HERE PEOPLE!), this is fucking unbeatable stuff. While all previous Gradius games were great little titles, this one takes every single thing that worked and distills it into a beautiful little pot. Just amazing.

2. r-type delta (psx) - R-Type is my favorite shooter series, period -- it's always been the strangest and had some of the craziest bosses (like, y'know, a whole level as a boss; that sorta fun, crazy shit!). Some will choose the epic "R-Type Final", but that game was just way too easy; despite the glossiness, I beat it in a few days, no problem -- one of the easiest shootemups I've ever played, and it had that lame "ship battle" 2player mode (?!). This game, again, does everything R-Type has done well, and did it better. And, it was ignored to no end. I think this game sold, like, 5 copies or something. Seriously. Good job, America!

Before I get to # 1, I'd like to have an HONOURABLE MENTION: ...

batsugun (saturn) - Unfortunately, this is one of the few Saturn-exclusive shoot em ups I've been able to play (which is why Radiant Silvergun isn't on the list, despite me wanting to have played it for at least 10 years now!). I simply don't own a Saturn, but my friend Ryan who used to live with me, did, and he got it (a Japanese Saturn) from a pawn shop along with a bunch of Japanese SNES, PSX, and Saturn games. And, well, if this game is any indication of how good shooters are on the Saturn.. FUCK! Ryan moved out 4 years ago but I played this game nearly every day for probably 3 months -- I loved this thing, and I always tried to get him to sell me his J-Saturn and this game ,but he is so committed to owning "every gaming system ever" that... yeah.. I'm fucked. ANYWAY... this is simply the hardest shooter I've played, but it has fucking awesome huge weapons. Just intense, frustrating at times, but rewarding as hell. Another overlooked masterpiece that probably 50 people have played!

Old 09.30.2010, 03:34 AM   #2631
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Hey pbradley! Would you mind posting a bit of your opinion on the game? I don't own a PS3, but it looks pretty neat. Thanks.
I would say that is the best kind of pick-up-and-play multiplayer game that I've played for this generation of consoles. It's not absolutely flawless but it's shit tons better than the competing New Super Mario Bros. game. My friends and I loved LittleBigPlanet.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 03:41 AM   #2632
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

A title I've always wanted to play is DEZAEMON...

Basically, you get to make your own shooter! Yep -- draw your own sprites and backgrounds, or edit preexisting ones, all on your Saturn! The graphics are about SNES-/Genesis-quality. Unfortunately, only released in Japan (and, you know, Sony and Nintendo both are guilty of leaving some awesome shit in Japan -- but Sega takes the fucking cake. 90% of the saturn's best titles were Japan-exclusives, and the Dreamcast still had awesome new games coming out in Japan until 2006. Sega of America is just fucking retarded, period. The 32X? ... The Saturn release where they didn't, y'know, tell anybody? Seriously. And they continue to release HORRIBLE Sonic games. Anyway... ranting aside... I am going to have to buy me a Japanese Saturn, since it seems like the shooter system. That reminds me: Did any shooters come out for the American Saturn? Actually, did the American Saturn have ANY noteworthy titles, beyond Burning Rangers, Virtual On, and NiGHTS?! ANYWAY..........

my # 1 pick is...

uh-oh

looks like it's a TIE!

...yep, a tie between Einhander (psx) and Ikaruga (arcade/dreamcast/gamecube). Sorry!

It's like this: I've played Ikaruga more than any other shooter ever; it's wickedly addictive, and I'm a HUGE Treasure fan. At the same time, I feel like... I haven't played Radiant Silvergun (which it is a semi sequel to), so maybe I wouldn't be so blown away if I had Silvergun in my life.

Also, Einhander is simply unique as hell -- maybe the most unique and fun shooter ever -- and is often still overlooked, despite (or perhaps, because of) being publised by Square. You get to shoot gigantic mechs and steal their swords and rocket launchers and attach them to you... and you get to blow up everything, including buildings and big signs, all to the sounds of weird opera music and truly twisted, bizarre electronic sounds.

So, it's a tough call. I think Einhander is the better game, by far, but I think Ikaruga is my personal favorite.

Hope you enjoyed! And since I got this Dreamcast almost exclusively to play more shoot em ups... haha, it's so funny, people were like "OH MAN! SONIC ADVENTURE! SOUL CALIBUR!" Fuck that shit. First thing I did was buy Chu Chu Rockets and SeaMan and then I downloaded a shit ton of shoot em ups.

Old 09.30.2010, 04:59 AM   #2633
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Why the fuck haven't they made a new mario paint game?!

Old 09.30.2010, 07:15 AM   #2634
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
adam, did you see my GCN Shmups post at rfgeneration.com/blogs/noiseredux ??
Old 09.30.2010, 10:50 AM   #2635
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I'm playing the lookin' for new job game.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 04:02 PM   #2636
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I'll check it out, nr.,

btw, jOe, downloaded marvel vs capcom 2 no problem. Just type in marvel vs capcom 2 cdi selfboot and it'll taKE YOu to snesorama probably, there's like fifteen mirrors! Works great.

Old 09.30.2010, 06:33 PM   #2637
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Odin Sphere gets boring pretty quickly, but it has the best 2D visuals ever.

Here are the games I have for the DC after only owning it for 24 hours:

- Ikaruga
- Psyvariar 2: The Will to Fabricate (one of the best shooters I've ever played!)
- Radio Allergy
- Chaos Field
- Trigger Heart Exelica
- Chu Chu Rocket
- Jet Grind Radio
- Marvel vs Capcom 2 (yeah, I got it again; plays beautifully!)
- Castle Shikigami 2
- Tokyo Bus Guide
- Trizeal
- Karous
- Last Hope
- Blue Stinger
- Cannon Spike
- Elemental Gimmick Gear
- Expendable
- Gunbird 2
- Bangai-O
- Half Life
- Mars Matrix
- MDK 2
- Power Stone 2
- Street Fighter: 3rd Strike
- Guilty Gear X
- Guts Revenge: Sword of Berzerk
- Under Defeat
- Seaman
- Space Channel 5
- Dynamite Cop
- Virtual On
- Crazy Taxi
- Rise of the Triad (PC shooter, homebrewed to be on the Dreamcast)

I burnt a few games -- Border Down (which is one of the main reasons I wanted a DreamCast, since I'd played it a few years back and it was AWESOME; MAYBE I'll have to ask Nathan) and a Genesis collection with 450 games -- that didn't work, at all. I know there are Genesis and SNES rom collections, with like every noteworthy game EVER for them -- anyone know where to get one in .cdi that actually, y'know works?

Any other reccomendations, lemme know, I'm mainly into puzzle games, shoot em ups, 2D fighters, and any game that is kinda strange and fun.

Also, Joe, I've used emuparadise a billion times for psx roms but it's dreamcast collection is sorely lacking. Nearly all the good, working games I've burnt have been because of snesorama. I'm going to look on their boards for a decent snes or genesis collection.

THanks!

Old 09.30.2010, 06:36 PM   #2638
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Anyway, holy shit, Karous is awesome!

Gonna have to put that in place of Radilgy in my top 12.

Also, Psyvariar 2: The Will to Fabricate would probably be in my top 5.

Unbelievably epic, beautiful shooter.

Old 09.30.2010, 07:03 PM   #2639
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
adam ... Mr. Driller = DC puzzling goodness
Old 09.30.2010, 08:27 PM   #2640
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I've had Mr. Driller for the Playstation for like 10 years... is the DC version different at all?

Puzzle Fighter II is on the DC also, I was thinking of getting it even though I have the PS version, but I don't think there's any differences with it.

82122129130131 132 133134135142182232 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth