Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page grindcore
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.08.2006, 11:38 PM   #21
blots
little trouble girl

blots ain't too shabbyblots ain't too shabby
Fear of God is a great Italian grindcore band. I'll also second Napalm Death. Extreme Noise Terror is maybe more crust than they are grind, but also not a band to miss. I'd also recommend Sore Throat, and for a more modern band Nasum. Godstomper and Unholy Grave (very low-fi, put out a million records) are also good modern bands. Phobia is pretty decent as well, for pretty straightforward, political grind from the punk scene. Part of the reason you can't get a clear description Glice is because there really aren't clear distinctions between these genres, and they're only subgenres anyway. A lot of bands have elements of death, black, grind, thrash, hardcore punk, etc., so it's hard to classify them, and not really important anyway.
blots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 12:11 AM   #22
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
slap me in the forehead, i forgot early carcass (thanks for the reminder Glice). i stress "early" since that's when they were grind, actually they are the only death/grind band i like. reek of putrefaction and symphonies of sickness are their cruder albums, their two subsequent albums, necrotism and heartworks, are also excellent but they are completely different, it's blast beat, tempo changing technical death metal with lots of guitar melodies yet still very aggressive.

repulsion were from michigan, they are the so called godfathers of grindcore. other bands that were seminal or integral to the grind sound were d.r.i., deep wound, seige, doom, ssd and dys, to name but a few punk/hardcore bands that pushed the speed and heaviness.

i also forgot agoraphobic nosebleed, they do a fantastic voivod cover, they are pretty standard grind band, but pretty good. i like pig destroyer a bit better.

early locust is certainly very grindcore-ish and they retained some of that desperate elemtn in their music; by that token, also check out soilent green who are like mr bungle meets dillinger escape plan playing grindcore.

melt-banana approaches grindcore blastbeats and they have recorded and/or toured with grind bands. they are pretty unique though

i have a noise/grindcore project going called monosodic, i've done just one song so far, i can upload it if there's interest.

and, if we are calling bands belonging to which genres and subgenres, then call dimmu borgir and cradle of filth what they really are: AUDIO DIARRHIA
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 12:30 AM   #23
FRACTUREDSUNSHINE
little trouble girl

FRACTUREDSUNSHINE has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
No love for Godflesh?
One of the greatest bands ever.
They kind of transcend the stylistic binds of the genre a lot of the time, but "Streetcleaner" is a stone classic!

what the poo is grind core? THE isis cover of streetcleaner is good too.
it made me hunt out godflesh. The napalm dude has a new thingy out now.
heard it---- "FINAL" ON NEUROT RECORDS
FRACTUREDSUNSHINE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 06:14 AM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Ah, I quite like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle... not everything, Cradle are unbearable now, but in the MFN-era they were quite exciting.

It's deeply, deeply silly music, but I quite enjoy that.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 03:20 PM   #25
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
anal cunt

nuff said
Old 05.09.2006, 03:33 PM   #26
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
...It's deeply, deeply silly music, but I quite enjoy that.

yes sir they are.

a friend once told me that they could replace the lead singer of cradle of filth with a fax machine and no one would know the difference. their latest is by far their funniest, trying to play straight edge moshcore pseudo hardcore with iron maiden overtones.

and dimmu borgir, gayest band ever!!! i saw them live and man do they suck, the lead singer has to use a pitch shifter pedal to make his rasp and they cover manowar songs. they are by far the most comical noncomical european band
Old 05.09.2006, 03:36 PM   #27
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
yes sir they are.

a friend once told me that they could replace the lead singer of cradle of filth with a fax machine and no one would know the difference. their latest is by far their funniest, trying to play straight edge moshcore pseudo hardcore with iron maiden overtones.

and dimmu borgir, gayest band ever!!! i saw them live and man do they suck, the lead singer has to use a pitch shifter pedal to make his rasp and they cover manowar songs. they are by far the most comical noncomical european band

I used to have a lot of friends who liked cradle of filth and dimmu borgir, I used to make fun of them so much!

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 03:37 PM   #28
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Grindcore? You guys mean like Blink 182 and Green Day?
Old 05.09.2006, 03:43 PM   #30
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Ahh. I'm way more into the metal scene like A Silver Mt. Zion.
Old 05.09.2006, 03:44 PM   #31
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

yeah, i'm not into that.

i'm into straight edge metalcore like bardo pond and acid mothers temple
Old 05.09.2006, 03:59 PM   #32
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm into the post new wave of black neo heavy metal fi core, stuff like Sting.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 04:07 PM   #33
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'm into the post new wave of black neo heavy metal fi core, stuff like Sting.

ohhh, you mean the NWOBNHMFC!!!!

now i get it!
Old 05.10.2006, 08:44 PM   #34
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
ohhh, you mean the NWOBNHMFC!!!!

now i get it!

no he means PNWOBNHMFC, NWOBNHMFC is totally different.
Old 05.10.2006, 11:50 PM   #35
timpickens
empty page

timpickens has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Anal Cunt, definitely. It may take you a while for their music to grow on you but you'll be well entertained in the meantime just by reading their lyrics and song titles. Also check out Agoraphobic Nosebleed. They use a drum machine and play at paces faster than a human drummer could possibly play. It's some of the coolest/funniest sounding shit I've come across.
timpickens is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 11:55 PM   #36
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onani Nic
no he means PNWOBNHMFC, NWOBNHMFC is totally different.

oh

now i don't know what are you talking about at all.
Old 05.10.2006, 11:57 PM   #37
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpickens
...Also check out Agoraphobic Nosebleed. They use a drum machine and play at paces faster than a human drummer could possibly play. It's some of the coolest/funniest sounding shit I've come across.

that reminded me of another great band.

listen to gigantic brain, they use a drum machine like anb but they pursue (pursued?) a more "cyber" sound, pretty fucking cool and pretty fucking funny.

have i recommended ganglia yet? if not, check that kid out.
Old 05.23.2006, 06:51 PM   #38
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
ive been listening to alot of grind lately, even started my own grind project today!

my favorites
NASUM
CARCASS
PIG DESTROYER
AGORAPHOBIC NOSEBLEED
NAPALM DEATH
ANAL CUNT
BRUTAL TRUTH (fucking BRUTAL TRUTH!)
REPULSION
PHOBIA
WORLD
GRIDE
ROT
Old 01.20.2007, 08:07 AM   #39
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I went to see Anal Cunt a couple of days ago (or rather it was seth putnam backed by two members from a russian band anal nosorog, who were an supporting act that night).

It seemed that putnam's, or his legs', condition was totally fucked, as he kept loosing his balance all the time and fell over many times. After that one of the venue organisers / security personnel had to stand next to him and physically support him so that he wouldn't come down off the stage.
That was, however, quite amusing, because despite the previous he did shriek through the gig in furious manner.

Anyway, Napalm Death are touring finland and tonight they're here. I was planning to go, but I had second thoughts because of the high price of the tickets and the fact that I wasn't too fond of their newer myspace material. does this band have anything to do with Scum anymore? How many times the line up's been changed completely?

And finally, Scum: a-side vs. b-side?
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2007, 08:17 AM   #40
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
And finally, Scum: a-side vs. b-side?
b-side, although a-side is more varied.
sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth