Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped Review
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.17.2006, 02:47 PM   #101
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
ok, in a way i have given in to the pressure... but i didn't d-load the album myself, my brother gave me a burned copy...

i don't want to say much about it. but i will comment on Incinerate since its on the myspace page...

catchy, immediate, fun rock song w/ a mostly clean guitar sound. the song itself has the most "typical sounding rock progression" that i've heard sonic youth do, not saying that's a bad thing at all and maybe thats what they are trying to convey here w/ this album which i guess is what stands out as being different as compared to most of their back catalog. this song sounds like a song that be on Nurse except that most of the parts/sections are brief and "to the point" or very "direct and concise".
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 05:36 AM   #102
sonik life
empty page

sonik life has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Incinerate and Reena both work for me. I will try to wait for the others...
Old 04.18.2006, 09:52 AM   #103
Zaroaster
empty page

Zaroaster has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
There is a lot of bickering about downloading the album, but you all seem to forget that there are also press releases of the album, such as my personal copy. So some people have a legit copy of the album.

And as far as the whole mp3 quality argument goes, the only real issue mp3 brings up is the fact that it throws out any information that is being masked by something else, so in the process you lose overtones. With a band like sonic youth and a bitrate around 192 a good 75% of you wont even notice the difference. And of course as you all read this each and every one of you has an arrogant side, whether you want to admit it or not, that thinks you are part of the 25% that will notice.

Petty bickering over the mp3 verses cd thing and the whole downloading versus not downloading thing are getting old. How about the world grows up and realizes some people are always going to attain unofficial copys of someones work, so just except it and move on, and if you think it's wrong don't do it, but don't come down on some kid who just wants to enjoy someone's art. It's not malicious man, nobody is like "oh shit I want to download all this bands music to screw them over," it's usually more like "oh shit I really dig this band, but I can't afford the albums"
Zaroaster is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 07:39 PM   #104
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaroaster
There is a lot of bickering about downloading the album, but you all seem to forget that there are also press releases of the album, such as my personal copy. So some people have a legit copy of the album.

And as far as the whole mp3 quality argument goes, the only real issue mp3 brings up is the fact that it throws out any information that is being masked by something else, so in the process you lose overtones. With a band like sonic youth and a bitrate around 192 a good 75% of you wont even notice the difference. And of course as you all read this each and every one of you has an arrogant side, whether you want to admit it or not, that thinks you are part of the 25% that will notice.

Petty bickering over the mp3 verses cd thing and the whole downloading versus not downloading thing are getting old. How about the world grows up and realizes some people are always going to attain unofficial copys of someones work, so just except it and move on, and if you think it's wrong don't do it, but don't come down on some kid who just wants to enjoy someone's art. It's not malicious man, nobody is like "oh shit I want to download all this bands music to screw them over," it's usually more like "oh shit I really dig this band, but I can't afford the albums"

well stated
complete agreement
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 10:31 PM   #105
vacuum noise
bad moon rising

vacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's asses
its like 10$ when it first comes out at tower...totaly worth it!
vacuum noise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2006, 12:33 AM   #106
hambu hodo
little trouble girl

hambu hodo has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
everyone should just buy it on vinyl and download the mp3s. fuck geffen. long live goofin.
Old 04.19.2006, 04:46 AM   #107
pao-lino
bad moon rising

pao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambu hodo
everyone should just buy it on vinyl and download the mp3s. fuck geffen. long live goofin.

long live goofin!
pao-lino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2006, 08:57 PM   #108
contrelefuckingsexisme
stalker

contrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's asses
HAHAHAH THE RIP OFF FROM FRIENDS!!
THAT'S TOTALLY TRUE!!!
it's a rock version of the theme song.
what a piece of shit...
contrelefuckingsexisme is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2006, 09:00 PM   #109
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrax
the most pop oriented sonic youth album to date. most songs catchy as fuck. listened to the album once, i know everything by heart already.
sonic youth sound like green day. i dont get why there is so little feedbacks and stuff that sonic youth is known for. no influence of those construction sites really that thurston talked about in that interview... even if there are sonic guitar parts, they are so much in the background... afterall i think it will sound really great stuff live

reena - sounds like the songs starts in the middle of the song, cuz it starts with chorus immediately. no sonic guitars
incinerate - yeah, teenage roit 2 with sonic youth 2000 sound. no sonic guitars really
do you believe in rapture - dont like this one very much, kinda slow, but this is where some sonic guitar actually start, with very low volume
yeah,
what a waste it really is a rip off from friends :S and again, weird catchy pop song.
sleeping around sounds like psychic hearts song, kinda very catchy stuff
jams run free - dont know what to say about this one, kinda catchy stuff again
rats - in my opinion the best song on the record. lee really sounds strange. you could also put this song on dirty if you did a little butch vig post production on it.
turquoise boy - kinda cool dreamy stuff, one chord really wants me to sing the 'heather angel' on it, but then the tuning changes in next chord
lights out, the neutral - not sure what to say
pink steam - yeah, kinda okay, sounds like psychic hearts again
or - really an interesting song after all this pop stuff i think no sonic youth song has ever combined acoustic guitar with electric guitar as i can remember

i was mistaking in earlier post...lets discuss the album

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Fuck your review of a leaked copy. I'll wait until the CD is released and find out for myself what it's like, thank you very much.

Word, nigga.
Old 04.19.2006, 09:05 PM   #110
contrelefuckingsexisme
stalker

contrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's asses
i think you are all fucking morons.
contrelefuckingsexisme is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2006, 09:09 PM   #111
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrelefuckingsexisme
i think you are all fucking morons.

I feel the EXACT same way about you!
Old 04.20.2006, 10:22 AM   #112
Chuck Skullz
empty page

Chuck Skullz has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by pao-lino
I wonder: who puts these records available online months before their release?
it's someone who already has his hands on it somehow to work it or someone really steals it?

In order for records to be available at stores for the date they're 'released' they need to be delivered to distribution labels and such at least 1-2 months in advance. Radio stations receive copies probably close to a month in advance as well. Then there's all the friends/family + anyone who worked on the album that will probably have received copies. Its so easy for these albums to end up on file sharing sites. Even the smallest bands have this happen to their albums. With bands with as much interest as SY, its inevitable that someone is going to leak it. It can also be unintentional perhaps - you've got the album on your laptop, but don't realize that its open to sharing via any fileswapping programs you have??
Chuck Skullz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 02:22 AM   #113
anok
empty page

anok has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i just registered to give some love to 'or' because no-one else seems to be. so, uhh, i love you 'or' - you're beautiful. yep.
anok is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 11:30 AM   #114
lukatoyboy
empty page

lukatoyboy has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i also think incinerate is soooo dinosaur jr....ghost in j mascis studio0have forced SY to sound like him ))

rapture is def. the worst - it's ok for b-side track...
kim songs rule!
and why o why lee has only 1 song????????????
his drift dvd (i have only the audio rip) is sooooo amazing
lukatoyboy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 06:02 AM   #115
e.if.ix
empty page

e.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's assese.if.ix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambu hodo

exactly,
though without geffen i probably never would have found EVOL and CIS in the before internet/ebay era
Old 04.28.2006, 07:18 PM   #116
HomelessArtist
little trouble girl

HomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard sucka
Just a quick note from me.

The musical departure part of Jams Run Free, is a small master piece. It's amazing that they have such a musical dynamic range! It's subtle and masterfull.

Also, how they've "recycled riffs" makes the old new once more. After listening to this record you will hear the older stuff differently. There are chords that remind you of Psycic Hearts, Goo, ect...
Like when Kims sings "it's a perfect sin" in The Neu tral, and it sounds like Bubble Gum from Goo.

And hey, turn it up loud. I heard the record like 8 times before noticing the opening of Pink Steam. It sounds alot like a Brainwave Theropy track, ala Dr. Jeffery Thompson.
HomelessArtist is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 09:36 PM   #117
duderanchnurse
bad moon rising

duderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's asses
Bubblegum "from" EVOL
duderanchnurse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 10:45 PM   #118
HomelessArtist
little trouble girl

HomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard suckaHomelessArtist cold hard sucka
Oh yeah, whoops.

And I was going to mention a thought on the title Rather Ripped. Definitly a reference to file sharing culture. Obviously the record is being rather ripped, but then, does anyone remember finding the mislabled track By Evolution Control Committee "Rocked by Rape" Where in Dan Rather is cut up? Thats been floating around for p2p nets for years labled as sonic youth.....
HomelessArtist is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 11:06 PM   #119
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessArtist
Obviously the record is being rather ripped, but then, does anyone remember finding the mislabled track By Evolution Control Committee "Rocked by Rape" Where in Dan Rather is cut up? Thats been floating around for p2p nets for years labled as sonic youth.....

Ha, yeah I remember getting that back in the Napster days.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth