Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Pop and Noise
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.09.2008, 05:45 AM   #21
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
It's all pop to me!

(The new face of noise music)

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2008, 07:33 AM   #22
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
haha

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2008, 07:34 AM   #23
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Wrong on many accounts.

I was succesfully teasing you earlier on in this thread.

everyone needs to get teased sometime, but that definition is straight outta my classical music text book.

listen to pink reason
Old 05.09.2008, 07:42 AM   #24
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
everyone needs to get teased sometime, but that definition is straight outta my classical music text book.

Sure, it's just that you are applying it - forcingly, if you allow me to say that - to the context of pop music in a vague way, which ultimately doesn't do anything or anyone any good.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2008, 08:43 AM   #25
batreleaser
invito al cielo

well, pop aint homphonic, and it sure as fuck aint monophonic, so i guess it should be polyphonic, i dont really care about things like that thugh, type of texture used, color, etc.. i just care if it sounds cool to me.

listen to pink reason
Old 05.09.2008, 11:51 AM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
but it's the melody and hooks of pop music that make people like it. all pop songs are polyphonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In music, polyphony is a texture consisting of two or more independent melodic voices, as opposed to music with just one voice (monophony) or music with one dominant melodic voice accompanied by chords(homophony).

I don't want to come across as a prick - literally speaking, you're right (poly = many; phonic = sounds [loosely]) - but the above is my understanding of polyphony, which doesn't occur in the majority of pop, which is more often than not homophonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2008, 11:52 AM   #27
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
hes right

polyphony-a musical texture involving two or more simultaneously sounding lines; the lines are often often independent and and create counterpoint.

sounds like most pop to me.

Contrapuntal pop music is often mooted, but I've heard very little.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 05.09.2008, 12:53 PM   #28
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Surely pop music, in it's most polished and generic form, at it's heart are songs with a structure and pattern that draws you in, verse chorus verse essentially...- you are compelled to listen to it, becuase after the first 30 seconds you can fairly accurately assume what patterns the song will follow. Pop fans engage with the music because of it's predicatability.

Like many sonic gossipers I was born wrong and somehow find formless and structureless music, a.k.a noise, as engaging if not moreso than 'pop'. Because I have no time for pop songs unless they have an interesting and unique take no pop structures (see SY) when someone turns on Radio 1 at college, pop music completely drifts over me, completely failing to grab my attention, much as a pop fan might react to noise. So, this said, the pop I hear on the radio, completely failing to engage with me, is essentially noise. I get the that same dead-inside bored feeling from pop as many do from noise. Is this what this poster is getting at, they're not saying they're the same thing, but rather they listen to pop in the same way as others do noise? If so, I agree.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2008, 04:37 PM   #29
Glice
invito al cielo

Well, that was a load of pious twaddle. Pop and noise are not opposed. It is possible to like both. Preferable, even.

Quote:
Old 05.09.2008, 04:40 PM   #30
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Surely pop music, in it's most polished and generic form, at it's heart are songs with a structure and pattern that draws you in, verse chorus verse essentially...- you are compelled to listen to it, becuase after the first 30 seconds you can fairly accurately assume what patterns the song will follow. Pop fans engage with the music because of it's predicatability.

Like many sonic gossipers I was born wrong and somehow find formless and structureless music, a.k.a noise, as engaging if not moreso than 'pop'. Because I have no time for pop songs unless they have an interesting and unique take no pop structures (see SY) when someone turns on Radio 1 at college, pop music completely drifts over me, completely failing to grab my attention, much as a pop fan might react to noise. So, this said, the pop I hear on the radio, completely failing to engage with me, is essentially noise. I get the that same dead-inside bored feeling from pop as many do from noise. Is this what this poster is getting at, they're not saying they're the same thing, but rather they listen to pop in the same way as others do noise? If so, I agree.

No you misinterpreted what I said. However, that was my fault I did not word it correctly. I think pop and noise can fuse into one. Both are equally enjoyable. However, I feel that many here at least can't accept that most pop music is actually great.
Old 05.09.2008, 05:30 PM   #31
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In music, polyphony is a texture consisting of two or more independent melodic voices, as opposed to music with just one voice (monophony) or music with one dominant melodic voice accompanied by chords(homophony).
I don't want to come across as a prick - literally speaking, you're right (poly = many; phonic = sounds [loosely]) - but the above is my understanding of polyphony, which doesn't occur in the majority of pop, which is more often than not homophonic.

I think polyphony is present in songs like God only knows or Good vibrations for instance, songs that are rather very harmonically complex (in pop standards at least).
Old 08.01.2008, 04:30 PM   #32
Glice
invito al cielo

You forgot to mention 'except Glice', but otherwise you're spot on.

Quote:
Old 08.01.2008, 04:35 PM   #33
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the best noise rock pop is POLVO's MY KIMONO
Old 08.01.2008, 04:36 PM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
it's not noisey though.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 04:36 PM   #35
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
salsa is poly phonic

pop rock is most definitely NOT
Old 08.01.2008, 04:38 PM   #36
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
it's not noisey though.

as "noise rock pop"

not noisey

everything polvo does is off tune and not proper "tones" so why is that not noise? does it have to be made without a guitar? does it have to be purely discordant feedback skronk to be noise?

I can tap on a hood of a car with a hammer and make a song and that shit is NOISE
Old 08.01.2008, 04:38 PM   #37
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernquinoxrocks
I LIE THAT

You LIE everything!
Old 08.01.2008, 04:40 PM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, feedback skronk is kinda the definition of "noise". Haha.

In all seriousness, my kimono is beautiful and doesn't have a hint of noise in it, its just some beautiful melodies. I don't consider that noise, even if the tuning is different. On the same hand, I wouldn't consider Jandek or -- again! -- Beefheart noise even if they sound kinda "out of tune" at times.

Old 08.01.2008, 04:41 PM   #39
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Also, I wouldn't say everything Polvo does is out of tune sounding. "Shapes" is pretty straightforward rocking and even references Hendrix on one song. "Exploding Drawing" as well.

I don't think some notes on a guitar could qualify as noise, it's not even really distorted, just badly-recorded.

"Noise pop" to me is early Pavement, some early Thinking Fellers, early Swirlies (especially "Pancake")..

Also, I wouldn't call tapping on the hood of a car noise unless it was really arhythmic and random. Even then it may not sound like noise. Noise has a clearly defined and, um, "unmusical" sound to it.

Old 08.01.2008, 04:42 PM   #40
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

that's true. but music genre terms get so damn insular and refined after a while

joy division was grouped as goth music once, but why not the Misfits? and if a jopy division like band were to start today not a single goth would think "thios is goth music" you know?

when Confusion is Sex came out, that was as pure noise as many people had ever heard. but it was not the same noise as yoko put out or metal machine music, or silver sessions ssutff, you know?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth