Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What's your take on hardcore music collectors?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.11.2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I don't mean people who amass a collection of records by buying one copy of each. I mean record-buyers who feel the need of owning several variants of the same album.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2010, 09:49 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
They can't take it with 'em when they die.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
Wankers.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2010, 10:20 AM   #4
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I've found I've gotten so selective these days. Like each year my interest in having all these records just gets smaller and I only want very certain stuff. And as far as reissues goes, it's basically just SY.
Old 07.11.2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Excusable for "audiophile" purposes, such as finding the best-sounding pressing or trying to get as close as possible to the first set of stampers in the country of origin (all the while assuming your system is worthy of the time and expense involved).

Otherwise it can be ridiculous. Though certain reissues/remasters can be well worth checking out. And I guess these people have kept me employed for various stretches, so I can't speak too ill of them. I have a little bit of that in me, but I try to keep it in check. I would usually rather get something I don't already have with what little money I have to spend these days.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2010, 10:40 AM   #6
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
This reminds me of the aging and foul smelling lot who go to record fairs, blocking every stand and desk and chat about some japan only pressing of the dire straits or pink floyd record and try to determine in their small minds eyes bulging whether it's "MINT" or "VG" like they didn't already own the damn album.

Having said that, I do have some cds I'd like to replace with vinyl.

I guess record collecting might make sense business -wise. People seem to be willing to pay big money just for the sake of the edition or the origin of the album.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2010, 11:38 AM   #7
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
I'm guilty of this, but only with SY and only when the dupes are very cheap - fr'example, I got the Zensor version of the debut EP years ago before it was reissued, then got a great deal on a Neutral original. I got the expanded 2disc version when it was reissued, and some time later found the SST one for about £3.
Is that so bad really?

For any other artists, if I end up with more than one, I'll keep the original and pass the extras on to a friend, apart from a handful of cases where I've kept both mono & stereo copies.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2010, 11:54 AM   #8
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
I will raise my hand and say that I'm guilty of this as well...
Only for SY's output as previous posters have stated (and side projects). But having said that I try to keep it in check, and still have more than a few gaping holes in my collection.
There is plenty of time to fill those holes and I think it's a fun pursuit... ...nothing beats the thrill of the chase.

If I was less disciplined it could easily get out of hand though !

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2010, 04:05 AM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't the time for multiple versions of the same record. Audiophiles confuse me. But fair play to them. Having said that, I have got different conductors/ musicians doing the same pieces. But that's different and expected, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2010, 06:37 AM   #10
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
the differences have to be major. like different recordings, producer or something. but that doesnt mean in the first place that its buyworthy. since the online era where you can get almost anything if you got enough money had made me way more picky. I never was one of those "I need all versions" guys. I am a sucker for bonus material like artworks, tunes or any extra content. I also like limited editions.
I prefer a limited pressing of an actual album way over some bottlegged and crappy sounding shit.
I collected a ashitload of nirvana bootlegs in my teens, which were pretty hard to get in the early nineties. for two reasons: no web and I live in germany, they actually CARE for what is being sold in a way that makes it almost impossible to find pirate material anywhere sold officially. Ive sold most of that bootlegs at the beginning of 2000 on ebay, cuase they were JUST bootlegs

If I had the chance of starting again, I would only buy vinyls and D/L mp3s. cds suck, they are small and made of ugly plastic. a nice cover in a decent size is what matters most beneath the actual music, imo.

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2010, 08:41 AM   #11
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I try to not buy doubles, and I do cringe when I get something on vinyl that I have on CD, but CD's are not the same.

Having said that, I have multiple pressings of various albums, mostly to get better sound, for my old beatles albums were second hand and scratched and cracked (and I wore them out).

I make exceptions for colored vinyl. I have 4 different copies of Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge. one regular. one clear vinyl. one in puke colored viny and one picture disc.

I have daydream nation at least 4 different ways and am looking for the russian bootleg!

I mostly do this only for sonic youth
Old 07.13.2010, 09:08 AM   #12
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't collected hardcore music in several years now. Much of that stuff has been sold/given away, but I've held on to the mandatory Black Flags, Poison Ideas, etc/etc. Minor Threat annoys me.

j/k

bad joke.

Hmm....Only albums I've ever felt some serious need to collect are ANYTHING i don't have already SY related. Stooges. Nirvana. 80's texas punk (Butthole Surfers, Big Boys, Scratch Acid, etc...really wish I could find me some Toxic Shock)...

All that "CBGB" stuff.

I agree w. atsonicpark. You can't take any of it w/ ya when ya die (I don't collect the way I used to, seldom buy anything)...BUT, it's fun. Almost (!!!) everything anyone ever does boils down to entertainment. Wether it's being a hardcore collector of anything, jogging, owning a pet, sex, religion, books whatever.

If ya enjoy it, do it. Just don't steal or kill + we're good.

swann swashtray
Old 07.13.2010, 09:54 AM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
what is great about collectors is that, when they die, if we are lucky, their collections have been taken care of and the items can go to new homes.
Old 07.13.2010, 10:07 AM   #14
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Agreed. I like to think that before I die I can pass on my stuff to some kid that'll appreciate it. Hopefully at a time when I'm near deafness anyways. haha...you know, like when i'm 432 and have outlived anyone/everyone that mattered to me anyways.
Old 07.13.2010, 10:08 AM   #15
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Are there still people who want to pay $300 for a Black Flag, or Misfits 7 inch?
When it can be downloaded for free.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2010, 10:12 AM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

There are people who will pay that, because it is an artifact.

a Matisse doodle is worthless to own, when you can just download a pic of it, but it is not the same is it?
Old 07.13.2010, 10:13 AM   #17
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Are there still people who want to pay $300 for a Black Flag, or Misfits 7 inch.

I can appreciate that mentality, even if it sometimes saddens me a bit. I just remember the days when music couldn't be downloaded. Some of the best fun I ever had was walking around Athens record stores and leaving w/ stacks of music.

But, times are changing.

I do download stuff.

But....this doesn't change the fact that I also collected a lot.

I'll still buy something on occassion if the price is right. Picked up Neil Young's (perfect condition) "Harvest" on wax @ Goodwill a couple days ago. 2.50...I win.
Old 07.13.2010, 10:34 AM   #18
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I found Neil Young's ON THE BEACH for $1.50 at a thrift store. fucking cool.
Old 07.13.2010, 10:57 AM   #19
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
a Matisse doodle is worthless to own, when you can just download a pic of it, but it is not the same is it?
Everything Matisse wrote, or draw, or paint is worth money.
But the reproductions are worth nothing (maybe some feelings to the viewer, but no money).
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2010, 11:32 AM   #20
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Are there still people who want to pay $300 for a Black Flag, or Misfits 7 inch?

agreed, but i doubt the people in their teens and 20's will be record hounds like the generation before them. they learned to approach and listen and gather music much differently.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth