Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Severian's electronic music gastropub
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.17.2017, 06:37 PM   #81
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Turns out that stuff like the 808 was considered as a complete failure by their designers

"A batch of faulty transistors", indeed. From The Wire #379, September 2015:

http://808themovie.com/

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2017, 05:38 PM   #82
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
"

INTERNET BULLY who thinks Nazis are funny.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2017, 10:33 PM   #83
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Where's all the electro love at?

Anyone ever dig into PROJECT MOONCIRCLE? The label behind KidKavevil's brilliant 2014 album My Little Ghost?

Well, Submerse is on there too, and I'm listening to their album Algorithms and Ghosts. It's pretty goddamn fantastic.

Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2017, 10:14 PM   #84
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Nobody's coming to my gastropub anymore. Don't you realize I opened this place with mob money? The family send me on a one-way trip down the river.

ANYHOO MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!

Holy shit the new Arca record is OUT y'all.

Listening to this epic track "Saunter" that sounds like Mozart played with switchblades.

Arca - "Saunter" (YouTube)

Listen, friends! Arca = the real deal
Old 04.12.2017, 06:31 PM   #85
gogologogolo
little trouble girl

gogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's asses
I've recently discovered Floating Points, and man am I falling in love with these guys. They have one full length album, but for my money this live performance on KEXP is the best thing they've put out. If you don't have time to listen to the full thing skip to the 30 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYqu5NdFMf8

I'm expecting their next album to be great.
gogologogolo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2017, 07:49 PM   #86
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogologogolo
I've recently discovered Floating Points, and man am I falling in love with these guys. They have one full length album, but for my money this live performance on KEXP is the best thing they've put out. If you don't have time to listen to the full thing skip to the 30 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYqu5NdFMf8

I'm expecting their next album to be great.

Yeah, Floating Points is good shit.
Old 04.14.2017, 02:22 PM   #87
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
https://soundcloud.com/throttleclark/peak-magnetic

jury's still out on the new Clark... hate to beat a dead horse, but it seems like there's a lot going on in his tracks, except it's hard to hear (or get 'inside', around the sounds) because of the compressed quality. He reminds me of Bibio
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2017, 06:11 PM   #88
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
https://soundcloud.com/throttleclark/peak-magnetic

jury's still out on the new Clark... hate to beat a dead horse, but it seems like there's a lot going on in his tracks, except it's hard to hear (or get 'inside', around the sounds) because of the compressed quality. He reminds me of Bibio

Ah! Thanks for sparking a conversation!

Yes, I know what you mean about Clark. I think his self-titled album was great, but the rest is touch and go. Same with Bibio. I heard a Bibio track once and it floored me (can't recall the name at the moment) so I bought the album and it was totally missable.

Bonobo is a bit guilty of this kind of thing too. Capable of great things, but usually just resorts to half-baked, pretty-good-nothing-more stuff.

Reliable electronic artists are rare. There's RDJ, Koze, Nicolas Jaar, Vladislav Delay, and... I'm having a hard time thinking of others just now.
Old 04.15.2017, 05:07 PM   #89
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Reliable electronic artists are rare. There's RDJ, Koze, Nicolas Jaar, Vladislav Delay, and... I'm having a hard time thinking of others just now.

That's because you're being a chauvinist pig. To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard any of the cats you mention, so I don't know whether the artists I have in mind are even in the same galaxy subgenre/style-wise, but reliable they sure are:

Laurel Halo
Klara Lewis
Holly Herndon
Kara-Lis Coverdale

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 04.15.2017, 06:30 PM   #90
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
That's because you're being a chauvinist pig. To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard any of the cats you mention, so I don't know whether the artists I have in mind are even in the same galaxy subgenre/style-wise, but reliable they sure are:

Laurel Halo
Klara Lewis
Holly Herndon
Kara-Lis Coverdale

Jlin is reliable. She's a chick.
Old 04.15.2017, 06:47 PM   #91
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

INT. COSTELLO'S APARTMENT. NIGHT
COSTELLO
Do you trust him?

MISTER FRENCH
Well, these days... who is reliable?

COSTELLO
His uncle Jackie was. Yeah... You can't trust a guy who acts like he's got nothing to lose.

MISTER FRENCH
I'm reliable.

COSTELLO
Arnold, you're one in a million.

MISTER FRENCH
Ten. Ten million.

COSTELLO
What about your wife, Arnold?

MISTER FRENCH
I thought she was.

COSTELLO
[Laughing] She wasn't!

MISTER FRENCH
Well she got reliable.
SILENT FLASH of MISTER FRENCH strangling his wife with a wire in a 70's bathroom.
GWEN
Don't you people ever shut the fuck up?!

Old 04.15.2017, 07:08 PM   #92
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
INT. COSTELLO'S APARTMENT. NIGHT
COSTELLO
Do you trust him?

MISTER FRENCH
Well, these days... who is reliable?

COSTELLO
His uncle Jackie was. Yeah... You can't trust a guy who acts like he's got nothing to lose.

MISTER FRENCH
I'm reliable.

COSTELLO
Arnold, you're one in a million.

MISTER FRENCH
Ten. Ten million.

COSTELLO
What about your wife, Arnold?

MISTER FRENCH
I thought she was.

COSTELLO
[Laughing] She wasn't!

MISTER FRENCH
Well she got reliable.
SILENT FLASH of MISTER FRENCH strangling his wife with a wire in a 70's bathroom.
GWEN
Don't you people ever shut the fuck up?!

Departed. Nice.
Old 04.17.2017, 05:49 PM   #93
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Departed. Nice.

When I was searching for The Departed's transcript on Google, the first suggestion on the site's search bar was "departed 2". How in all that is fuck could there be a Departed 2? Everybody's dead! Let's review: Martin Sheen got thrown off a roof by Jack Nicholson's crew. Ray Winston shot himself in the face/head. Nicholson was shot dead by Matt Damon. Leonardo DiCaprio was shot dead by James Badge Dale. Dale also shot Anthony Anderson dead. Dale was shot dead by Damon. Damon was shot dead by Mark Wahlberg. Plus, Wahlberg was fired by Alec Baldwin and Vera Farmiga moved to Bates Motel. So everyfuckingbody's DEAD!

Old 04.18.2017, 01:37 PM   #94
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
https://rolandosimmons.bandcamp.com/album/yuore-life

this is sweet.. in the vein of rephlex artists like Monolith and AFX
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2017, 11:02 PM   #95
Severian
invito al cielo

If you haven't heard this, listen now please. Immediate and beautiful and haunting with just enough groove.

Recondite - "Levi" (club edit)

From this album with the badass cover:

Old 04.27.2017, 07:26 AM   #96
bloodcrystallisetosand
bad moon rising

bloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's asses
Gold Panda is fuckin mint, whatever the most recent LP was called is well worth a nosey. Last album for about five years where I've heard one song from it in a record store and bought it there and then. Been dipping a dirty toe into the murky waters of ambient/tech house/minimal techno/etc etc recently, having seemingly explored the vast majority of guitar based and jazz stuff I can be arsed with at the moment. FKA Twigs is worth a go. Someone else mentioned Arca, which I'll second. Latest Bjork, whilst she's an old hand by this point, is outstanding and is half produced by Arca, so gets bonus contemporary points.

Without sounding like too much of a knob, the intersection between minimal/ambient dance/IDM and avant pop seems to be where the really interesting stuff is happening right now, stuff that has a chunk of Bjork in its DNA but is pulling from all sources, from Siouxsie and the Banshees and jungle 12"s and random old vocal jazz that pops up on Youtube in equal measure. ANOHNI is another one. Oh, I've also been playing a lot of the field, that guy, alex wietsel or something, is seriously on the case.
bloodcrystallisetosand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2017, 10:15 AM   #97
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodcrystallisetosand
Gold Panda is fuckin mint, whatever the most recent LP was called is well worth a nosey. Last album for about five years where I've heard one song from it in a record store and bought it there and then. Been dipping a dirty toe into the murky waters of ambient/tech house/minimal techno/etc etc recently, having seemingly explored the vast majority of guitar based and jazz stuff I can be arsed with at the moment. FKA Twigs is worth a go. Someone else mentioned Arca, which I'll second. Latest Bjork, whilst she's an old hand by this point, is outstanding and is half produced by Arca, so gets bonus contemporary points.

Without sounding like too much of a knob, the intersection between minimal/ambient dance/IDM and avant pop seems to be where the really interesting stuff is happening right now, stuff that has a chunk of Bjork in its DNA but is pulling from all sources, from Siouxsie and the Banshees and jungle 12"s and random old vocal jazz that pops up on Youtube in equal measure. ANOHNI is another one. Oh, I've also been playing a lot of the field, that guy, alex wietsel or something, is seriously on the case.

Well said. I agree about Gold Panda. I always forget about him until I hear one of his albums, like Half of Where You Are. That was a good one. I have to admit I let Good Luck and Do Your Best slip by me a bit.

Gold Panda had a song on DJ Koze's fantastic 2016 label comp Pampa vol. 1 called "Black Voices" that's pretty darn good. If you're into Panda, check out that comp (you can ignore the Jamie xx track, because who needs that guy anyway). DJ Koze is, for my money, the most gifted and interesting electronic artist to emerge in the '00s/'10s, and his 2013 album Amygdala is probably one of the top 5 albums of the decade in any genre. His label comp shows off a lot of similar talent, as do his two major remix albums.

FKA Twigs fascinates me, but also makes me miss the fuck out of Portishead. Why o why would a band defy the odds by coming out of hibernation after two classic albums to make the best album of their career only to slink back into hiding? It's not fair!!

Arca's the shit. That was probably me that name-dropped him.

ANOHNI is much more vital and interesting than the artist's previous work as Antony or Antony & the Johnsons. Thanks to Hudson Mohawke in part for that. Btw: check out Hudson Mohawke's 2015 track "Indian Steps" which features ANOHNI/Antony. It's a good'un.

Anyway, yeah. Thanks for sharing. Of course Björk is seminal. She's managed to dodge trends while simultaneously embracing and causing them. I don't really think of her as an artist to note in the current climate because she's been around for so long, doing her thing and making it work. Still, Vulnicura was simply arresting. She's a treasure, for sure, but she's never been one of my favorite artists.

Listen to Koze. More people need to listen to DJ Koze aka Adolf Noise aka Kosi Kos because few artists are capable of creating music that is at once so disarmingly intimate, whimsically colorful and movement-enduring. I have no fucking clue why this guy isn't a darling of the American music press yet. It's a crime, goddammit.
Old 04.27.2017, 12:55 PM   #98
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i'm listening to one of slavo's demo tracks *right now* and it's very good. i love the fat/vintage/analog synthesizer sound of whatever instrument that is.

can't say a lot more because this is a huge secret. huuuge!

but no, seriously, i'm really liking it
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2017, 06:05 PM   #99
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i'm listening to one of slavo's demo tracks *right now* and it's very good. i love the fat/vintage/analog synthesizer sound of whatever instrument that is.

can't say a lot more because this is a huge secret. huuuge!

but no, seriously, i'm really liking it

I know, right? Fucking Slavo is legit. He messaged me a recording of that show he put up recently and OH MY GOD HOW HAVE I NOT PUT IT ON MY IPOD YET?!

Fucking amazing. Seriously.
Old 04.28.2017, 03:14 AM   #100
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Been listening to loads of those synthwave mixes on youtube. Very 80s-inspired. The sort of stuff you listen to riding around at night on GTA. It's impossible to really defend artistically but it ticks my nostalgia box

This is a good one ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85bkCmaOh4o

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth