Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Severian's electronic music gastropub
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.26.2017, 08:57 PM   #61
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
By the way, Jóhan Jóhansson's "Kangaroo" from the ARRIVAL soundtrack [...]

The following belongs in a different thread (if it does at all, because the Oscars suck it from a bucket anyway), but since you mention Arrival, I just wanna say Amy Adams has been robbed at gunpoint by not being nominated for best actress. (It's like the Paul Giamatti/Sideways travesty from 13 years ago). Except I'm not talking about Arrival!

These should be the winners and everything else is horseshit:

Best Picture — Nocturnal Animals
Best Director — Tom Ford, Nocturnal Animals
Best Actor — Jake Gyllenhall, Nocturnal Animals
Best Actress — Amy Adams, Nocturnal Animals
Best Supporting Actor — Michael Shannon or Aaaron Taylor-Johnson, Nocturnal Animals. Shannon (greatest actor of the motherfuckingmillenium) actually got nominated. If he doesn't win everyone who didn't vote for him should get cancer.
Best Supporting Actress — Laura Linney or Isla Fisher, Nocturnal Animals
Best Adapted Screenplay — Tom Ford, Nocturnal Animals (based on the novel Tony and Susan by Austin Wright)
Best Original Score — Abel Korzeniowski, Nocturnal Animals
Best Production Design — Shane Valentino, Nocturnal Animals
Best Cinematography — Seamus McGarvey, Nocturnal Animals
Best Makeup and Hairstyling — Donald Mowat, Malanie J. Romero, Elaine Offers, Yolanda Toussieng, Jules Holdren, Nocturnal Animals
Best Costume Design — Arianne Phillips, Nocturnal Animals
Best Film Editing — Joan Sobel, Nocturnal Animals
Best Visual Effects — Outpost/Flying Colour, Nocturnal Animals

Haven't seen the film? Do it, but do NOT read anything about the plot before watching it. Both your enjoyment (if the word applies here at all) of the movie and your karma are at stake.

Apologies for briefly hijacking the thread. You may resume electronicking now.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2017, 10:01 PM   #62
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Apologies for briefly hijacking the thread. You may resume electronicking now.

Wow. Well, I've been kinda talking smack about Ford in the movies thread today, so you're probably not going to like that.

Shannon was damn good, but with some qualifiers. See other thread (in short, yeah, he stole the show, but Christian Bale, Daniel Day Lewis, Matthew Mcconaughey, and others could have nailed that part just as hard, and it would have probably gone unnoticed by the academy... a light day's work for those guys. Still, he was good.)

I have issues with other aspects of it, but it certainly wasn't bad in any way.

To say it's better as a film or as an Amy Adams fest than Arrival is... well... I disagree big time. But whatever.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2017, 10:03 PM   #63
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
LAURA LINNEY WAS IN ONE FUCKING SCENE, YOU MADMAN! And it was like 5 min long!
Old 02.26.2017, 10:16 PM   #64
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Wow. Well, I've been kinda talking smack about Ford in the movies thread today, so you're probably not going to like that.

I don't read that thread, and I won't start now or I will have to kill you. Tom Ford is a GOD. There are scenes in Nocturnal Animals which hit me like an Anna Calvi song and that's the greatest compliment in the Solar System right there.

Predictably, given the Academy's stupidity, Shannon didn't win. Cancer cells are spreading galore tonight.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2017, 09:51 AM   #65
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I don't read that thread, and I won't start now or I will have to kill you. Tom Ford is a GOD. There are scenes in Nocturnal Animals which hit me like an Anna Calvi song and that's the greatest compliment in the Solar System right there.

Predictably, given the Academy's stupidity, Shannon didn't win. Cancer cells are spreading galore tonight.

Well if you don't read the movie thread then can we pm about this? I haven't seen his first movie, and I *did* read about NoctAm before I saw it because the trailer really got me pumped, so I think we would actually agree in a lot, and I'd love to hear more about your take on the movie, but I don't want to give my gastropub indigestion.

Also, I definitely thought Shannon would win, and was rooting for him, but Mahershala Ali is a really powerful actor, and even though I have yet to see Moonlight, I'm guessing he did a damn good job.

PM me and talk to me about why you thought this movie was so good that it should have swept every category of consequence. I'm genuinely interested. I didn't hate it, just had issues with some stuff.

NOW... back to bleeps and bloops!

Two Lone Swordsmen - "The Big Clapper"
Old 03.01.2017, 12:50 AM   #66
gogologogolo
little trouble girl

gogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's asses
Katie Gately's album Colors was one of the best of last year IMO. She's like a mix between Meredith Monk and Bjork. Her music is just bonkers.

Check out the track "Sift".
gogologogolo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2017, 07:04 AM   #67
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogologogolo
Katie Gately's album Colors was one of the best of last year IMO. She's like a mix between Meredith Monk and Bjork. Her music is just bonkers.

Check out the track "Sift".

Will do ASAP. Thanks!
Old 03.01.2017, 11:45 AM   #68
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Has anyone heard Gil Mantera's Party Dream? I saw them live a bunch of times years and years ago. Innovative use of synths and the stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuXRhpHg9Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwydqKifDck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtSaXzPGYHI
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2017, 11:42 AM   #69
Severian
invito al cielo

BLANCK MASS - WORLD EATER is out today!!!

In case you didn't see the cover the first three times I posted about it.

Listening to it for the first time now.

It's fucking good. The first track will hook you. Highly recommend. Possibly best album of 2017 so far.
Old 03.07.2017, 07:41 PM   #70
Severian
invito al cielo

I just got my hands on a shitload of new electronic music, some of which I've never even heard of before.

A cool library in my area was having book, music and movie sale. I found a bunch of things that were EASILY worth the ridiculously low price, and many of them were electronic albums (nobody in the American Midwest apparently digs this shit, despite the proximity of Chicago.. it's weird).

Anyway... found the following. Mostly albums from just last year. Feels like a goddamn steal for me, but the library seemed happy to get rid of all of it.

Africans With Mainframes - K.M.T

Delroy Edwards - Hangin' at the Beach
https://images.bigcartel.com/product...&h=1000&w=1000
(terrible album cover, but so far not terrible music -- haven't really listened yet)

Ganjasufi - Callus

(I have other albums by this guy, and a little bit can go a long way)

Mica Levi/Oliver Coates - Remain Calm (FUCKIN' SCORE!)

(More coming...)
Old 03.07.2017, 07:52 PM   #71
Severian
invito al cielo

Michael Mayer - & (This one is a hell of a find... dude's got tracks with Roman Flügel, Miss Kitten, and more... is a KOMPAKT signee, so that means he's in with my boy DJ Koze. This is my favorite of the bunch.)

Sarathy Korwar - Day to Day

Ulrich Schnauss - No Further Ahead Than Today

Also got a Swet Shop Boys album because why the fuck not, and some other, older, more traditional shit that has not place in this gastropub.
Old 03.08.2017, 12:32 AM   #72
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses

selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2017, 08:06 AM   #73
Severian
invito al cielo

^ Koch is a good album that I tend to forget about when I'm discussing strong electronic releases of the last few years.

Are you posting because you just got it, or because that's what you're listening to at the moment? Just curious.
Old 03.13.2017, 04:55 AM   #74
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip

what's the first one?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2017, 11:30 AM   #75
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
what's the first one?

Lee Gamble - Koch
Old 03.14.2017, 05:15 AM   #76
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Lee Gamble - Koch

ah ok, so both pictures are Lee Gamble, got it.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2017, 05:00 PM   #77
Severian
invito al cielo

Hot damn, there's a new fuckin' Jlin album!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Boomkat
Jlin's long awaited second album “Black Origami” has just been announced and features a collaboration with William Basinski, as well as a new collab with Holly Herndon on “1%”, and contributions from Halcyon Veil producer Fawkes' and Cape Town rapper Dope Saint Jude.

The album seals Jlin's reputation as a unique producer with an exceptional ability to make riveting rhythmic music. It's driven by a deep creative thirst, as sh explains:

“This driving feeling that I wanted to do something different, something that challenged me to my core. Black Origami for me, comes from letting go creatively, creating with no boundaries. The simple definition of origami is the art of folding and constructing paper into a beautiful, yet complex design. Composing music for me is like origami, only I'm replacing paper with sound. I chose to title the album "Black Origami" because like "Dark Energy" I still create from the beauty of darkness and blackness. The willingness to go into the hardest places within myself to create for me means that I can touch the Infinity.” Spirituality and movement are both at the core of “Black Origami”, inspired largely by her ongoing collaborations with Indian dancer/movement artist Avril Stormy Unger whom she met and collaborated with at her debut performance for the Unsound festival – ”There is a fine line between me entertaining a person and my spirituality.

Avril, who collaborates with me by means of dance, feels the exact same way. Movement played a great role in Black Origami. The track "Carbon 7" is very inspired by the way Avril moves and dances. Our rhythms are so in sync at times it kind of scares us. When there is something I can't quite figure out when it comes to my production, it’s like she senses it. Her response to me is always "You'll figure it out". Once I figure it out it's like time and space no longer exist.”

Similar time shifting/folding/disrupting effects can be heard throughout the record – especially on “Holy Child” an unlikely collaboration with minimalist legend William Basinski. She also collaborates again with Holly Herndon on “1%”, while Halcyon Veil producer Fawkes' voice is on “Calcination“ and Cape Town rapper Dope Saint Jude provides vocals for “Never Created, Never Destroyed“."

Terrible punctuation in that pull quote, but whatever. I am very, very down for this.

Jlin - Black Origami

Old 03.15.2017, 09:54 AM   #78
Severian
invito al cielo

New Actress - AZD out April 14

Old 03.16.2017, 05:05 PM   #79
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Received the new Gregg Skloff:

República de la Concha January 2017

Care to share any thoughts? I don't think I'm familiar.
Old 03.17.2017, 05:51 PM   #80
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
a while ago there was a great documentary about the history of electronic music on Dutch TV called Planet Electro. It can be watched fully on Vimeo. And if you want just a snippet here's a nice 6 minute fragment of the 808 and the LinnDrum. And there's also the trailer
The main language is unfortunately Dutch and no English subtitles but most of the interviews are in English. It features artists like Carl Cox, Human League, Ultravox, Rick Wakeman , Yello, OMD, Spandau Ballet, etc etc, and also some Dutch recent house DJs
And it also features interviews with the inventors of those instruments

Turns out that stuff like the 808 was considered as a complete failure by their designers

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth