Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Severian's electronic music gastropub
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.18.2017, 10:52 AM   #41
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I was only thinking about them the other day. Crazy that it's nearly ten years since Third came out. Is there even any news of them doing anything new?

This is the last thing I saw:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...bute-to-jo-cox

I know Geoff Barrow has been busy with BEAK>, and doing scores for Alex Garland movies (a new one, for ANNIHILATION, based on a FUCKED UP horror book I love, will be out his year).

But it seems as though Portishead might just be over. Or, possibly, dine with new albums. They'll probably do some legacy touring at some point. But think about it, when Third came out, we'd been waiting for a new studio record for 11 goddamn years. During that time, the album went though a number of phases and gestations, and new about it was leaking as early as 2001/02.

Now it's been another decade of silence, but there's been no mention of a new album. None that I can remember. Nothing. Zip.

Fucking shame, really. Third is the gold standard for "comeback" albums. Nobody's ever done it better. I thought it would be IMPOSSIBLE for Portishead to make a viable, successful and challenging album during a period when "trip-hop" was a fucking insult. But they reduced their sound down to its basest elements and built it back up, creating something that not only met but EXCEEDED expectations.

That's right. Even though I grew up with Dummy (which was, essentially, the proto-Ok Computer, before Radiohead itself was even at Bends-level, in that it was the defining opus of British art-electronic), and had my mind blown by Portishead's wicked, wicked self-titled album, I actually think Third is better than BOTH by far.

Not even A Tribe Called Quest pulled it off so well. Not GY!BE. Not even my beloved Aphex Twin. (Sorry, SYRO, you're awesome but you're no Third.)

Sad...
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2017, 11:03 AM   #42
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Here, lets dry our eyes and hold hands and bask in the ... err ... "beauty" ... of this absolutely horrifying Eraserhead-esque video for the best track on Third.

Portishead's WTFucking-awesome "Machine Gun" video
Old 02.19.2017, 06:27 AM   #43
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I only listen to Casi Cada Minuto

you're the sweetest person ever.

and you know what? I'm just working on a song right now, I'mma drop you a secret soundcloud link on Facebook so that you can listen to it.

Some Tim Hecker shit right there.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2017, 06:50 AM   #44
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Here, lets dry our eyes and hold hands and bask in the ... err ... "beauty" ... of this absolutely horrifying Eraserhead-esque video for the best track on Third.

Portishead's WTFucking-awesome "Machine Gun" video

Amazing song.

With the video I take it you've not seen Tetsuo?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2017, 07:15 AM   #45
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
not sure if this falls under the definition of 'electronic' but regardless this one should be a blinder

graham lambkin & taku unami - the whistler [coming soon on erstwhile]

the new henning christiansen release on penultimate is also glorious.

feeling like I'm very quickly falling out of the loop in the club-based game, new N1L on uiq is sweet as is the new neana tape, looking forward to the new ilpo vaisanen and second woman records on emego.....can't keep up with the rest

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2017, 07:46 AM   #46
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Kristian M. Roberts - Two Portraits is more terrifying than the harshess noise record you've heard in a long time, yet its lush enough to fall asleep to.

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2017, 11:59 AM   #47
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Amazing song.

With the video I take it you've not seen Tetsuo?

I have not. Nor do I watch many music videos, so I just searched for the thing on YouTube and grabbed the first result.

Tetsuo must be a pretty fucked up Japanese body-horror film, I'm guessing?
Old 02.19.2017, 12:14 PM   #48
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I have not. Nor do I watch many music videos, so I just searched for the thing on YouTube and grabbed the first result.

Tetsuo must be a pretty fucked up Japanese body-horror film, I'm guessing?

pretty much. For the longest time it was a friend of mine's favourite film. It's not that good, but it's pretty out there.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2017, 01:19 PM   #49
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
pretty much. For the longest time it was a friend of mine's favourite film. It's not that good, but it's pretty out there.

Works well with "Machine Gun," but I'm not interested in seeing the movie because I've seen Eraserhead and read Metamorphosis and ANNIHILATION and body/vessel horror shit just kind of freaks me the motherfucking fuck out.
Old 02.19.2017, 10:56 PM   #50
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

^^ dope dope dope electro-adjacent cover of "I Would Die 4 U" by Gate.

THANKS SOUP NAZI! Would add rep if I could.
Old 02.20.2017, 10:16 AM   #51
Severian
invito al cielo

Visible Cloaks - Reassemblage

I see that this got a good rating on pitchfork, not that that matters to most, but it really is quite a good album. I've purchased about half of the tracks so far, and I think I'm going to spring for the physical release, as it's one of few 2017 albums that are worth it at this point.

Pitchfork struggles with genres, specifically the need to abide by genre "rules," which is why they describe this as ambient. I would not, as there are definite melodic and harmonic structures to the songs, which are repeated, and there are percussive elements that provide cohesion to isolated ideas within tracks. This is really not ambient music.

It also not wholly electronic, but it's fucking good!

Listen to "Bloodstream" and "Mask". These are my picks at the moment.
Old 02.20.2017, 11:10 AM   #52
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
https://soundcloud.com/timsweeney/vvminimalwave
Veronica Vasicka on WNYU's BIS Show. Killer.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2017, 07:05 PM   #53
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
https://billygomberg.bandcamp.com/album/quiet-barrier

if y'all have any love for Microstoria, and [fractured, tonal] music in the vein of Oval/Nuno Canavarro/Rafael Toral, i'd recommend this fella... Comme and Transition are fantastic albums, most everything i've sampled here is pleasant and affecting.
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2017, 03:04 PM   #54
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
^^ dope dope dope electro-adjacent cover of "I Would Die 4 U" by Gate.

THANKS SOUP NAZI! Would add rep if I could.

AND "Purple Rain"! But do check out http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...ostcount=49605...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2017, 06:23 PM   #55
Severian
invito al cielo

Arca has a new self-titled album coming out in April. Should be fucking good.

Listen to new song "Piel"

^ the melody reminds me a bit of one of those songs on Burial's Rival Dealer. Can't remember which one because I only listen to that beautiful thing from start to finish, so it might as well be one track to me.

Arca is becoming a pretty formidable presence in the genre. Taking cues from all sorts of different places.
Old 02.23.2017, 02:12 PM   #56
Severian
invito al cielo

ATTN: NEW BLANCK MASS ALBUM IS STREAMING FOR FREE NOW, 1 WEEK EARLY

If you dug the shit I posted, check it out:

LISTEN HERE
Old 02.23.2017, 02:31 PM   #57
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks - I loved the previous album, can't wait to hear this!

Quote:
ATTN: NEW BLANCK MASS ALBUM IS STREAMING FOR FREE NOW, 1 WEEK EARLY

If you dug the shit I posted, check it out:

LISTEN HERE
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2017, 04:02 PM   #58
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
not sure if this falls under the definition of music, but it's certainly is electronic.

Dick Raaymakers (also Raaijmakers; 1 September 1930 – 4 September 2013) was a Dutch composer, theater maker and theorist. He was known as a pioneer in the field of electronic music and tape music. In addition, he realized numerous music theater pieces, art installations, and has published many theoretical essays.

Canon-5, super ‘dis-moi …’ (1967)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIj_...ature=youtu.be

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2017, 06:54 PM   #59
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
not sure if this falls under the definition of music, but it's certainly is electronic.

Dick Raaymakers (also Raaijmakers; 1 September 1930 – 4 September 2013) was a Dutch composer, theater maker and theorist. He was known as a pioneer in the field of electronic music and tape music. In addition, he realized numerous music theater pieces, art installations, and has published many theoretical essays.

Canon-5, super ‘dis-moi …’ (1967)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIj_...ature=youtu.be

Absolutely qualifies, man. Absolutely. Thank you!
Old 02.26.2017, 06:58 PM   #60
Severian
invito al cielo

By the way, Jóhan Jóhansson's "Kangaru" from the ARRIVAL soundtrack is one of THE BEST electronic tracks of 2016. Didn't see the movie until night before last, but goddamn that soundtrack is incredible.

I can't find a clip, but check it out. The whole soundtrack is worth hearing, for sure.
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth