Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Severian's electronic music gastropub
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.16.2017, 12:17 PM   #21
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
No no! Any good?

Oh shit. I kind of assumed you'd probably already heard it. I was just asking for confirmation. But ... YES. I mean, you seem to like Fuck Buttons, so I'd say absolutely. A lot of people (some on this very board... *suspicious face*) have taken issue with me for praising the F-Butts in the past. "Not REAL noise rock," they say. That was probably Genteel Death, now that I think about it.

Anyway, if you like Fuck Buttons you absolutely must hear everything by Blanck Mass. For me, the Buttons are one of the few bands to emerge in the past 10 years that have just consistently gotten better and better with each release, and I love the shit out of them. So when Dumb Flesh came out, I was all over it.

Now, honestly, I think this new album World Eater is going to be better. What I've heard so far has just been incredible. But still, go listen to that shit right now.

In fact, I'll help. Here's a couple tracks from Dumb Flesh:

"Detritus" (YouTube)
"Atrophies (YouTube)

And here's a track from the first EP, 2012's White Math:

"Polymorph" (YouTube)

Let me know what you think!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2017, 04:47 PM   #22
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Article from the Quietus http://thequietus.com/articles/21791...synth-wrangler

Benge's Favorite synth albums (I have no idea who Benge is, but thought people in this gastropub might be interested.)

On another note, can we talk about Muddy Waters here? He played "electronic" music. His guitar was amplified.
Old 02.16.2017, 07:06 PM   #23
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
This thread and alcohol is a recipe for pure euro indulgence ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PDmZnG8KsM

When pop mattered
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2017, 09:41 PM   #24
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

On another note, can we talk about Muddy Waters here? He played "electronic" music. His guitar was amplified.

Don't be a wiseass. There is actually a difference in meaning between the words "electric" and "electronic." Muddy as you know played an electric guitar. He did not play an electronic guitar. No such instrument exists.

Now, had Muddy used a program or synth rub through an "electric guitar" filter to make his music, that would qualify. And it would sound awful.

Electric guitar is not an electronic instrument. It is an electronechanical instrument. Electronic instruments are, for example, Synclavier I and Synclavier PSMT, analogue and modular synths, Atari Punk Cosole, Kaossilator, blah blah blah... you get it.

This thread is for discussions of music that puts a considerable emphasis on analogue and mod synths, digital synths, chips, various Roland products, computers, or DIY electronic instruments, and the others above.

This thread welcome any discussion of any music that has a prominent electronic presence, even if it's used in concert with electromechanical, acoustic, or traditional symphonic instrumentation.

In other words, New Order probably DOES qualify for our purposes, if only just. Radiohead post 1998 and pre-2016 qualifies. Nine Inch Nails qualifies. Some Modern disco-punk type stuff qualifies. Bowie qualifies. As long as we're not taking about The Bends or Hunky Dory, and focus instead on Kid a/Ambesiac and Earthling. Get it?

Muddy Waters has to go somewhere else.

But TONS of bands are welcome! Eno! Flaming Lips post 2000! Caribou! LCD Soundsystem! Whatever you want as long as there's a strong and prominent electronic presence.

(I personally wouldn't bring talk to the Lios here, but others are certainly welcome to.)
Old 02.17.2017, 04:42 AM   #25
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
This thread and alcohol is a recipe for pure euro indulgence ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PDmZnG8KsM

When pop mattered

Oh! This must be one of my favourite songs ever. It personifies my childhood - always when I hear it, so many nice memories of me being a little kid come back to my mind. It's one of these songs which you literally don't want to listen to too often because you could "spoil" this magic.

To explain this further, I had the same thing with Depeche Mode songs (my older brother was a huge fan and he made me listen to their songs every day when I was 7-10 years old). But then I listened to them also being an adult and now the feeling connected to their tunes is a mixture of child/adult memories.

Does it make sense?

But no one is going to take the magic of Voyage Voyage from me.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2017, 04:53 AM   #26
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Oh shit. I kind of assumed you'd probably already heard it. I was just asking for confirmation. But ... YES. I mean, you seem to like Fuck Buttons, so I'd say absolutely. A lot of people (some on this very board... *suspicious face*) have taken issue with me for praising the F-Butts in the past. "Not REAL noise rock," they say. That was probably Genteel Death, now that I think about it.

Anyway, if you like Fuck Buttons you absolutely must hear everything by Blanck Mass. For me, the Buttons are one of the few bands to emerge in the past 10 years that have just consistently gotten better and better with each release, and I love the shit out of them. So when Dumb Flesh came out, I was all over it.

Now, honestly, I think this new album World Eater is going to be better. What I've heard so far has just been incredible. But still, go listen to that shit right now.

In fact, I'll help. Here's a couple tracks from Dumb Flesh:

"Detritus" (YouTube)
"Atrophies (YouTube)

And here's a track from the first EP, 2012's White Math:

"Polymorph" (YouTube)

Let me know what you think!

I'm on it ! Listening to Blanck Mass Boiler Room live set right now. It's fantastic, just that kind of music that I like. This guy knows how to set up a proper ecstatic atmosphere.

I recently discovered the label Nothern Electronics, you're familiar with them? Stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDBwRXUiBx8

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daSid6Lh9Vs

Hypnotic.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2017, 10:09 AM   #27
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Superb stuff, although I sometimes wonder if that whole 'intelligent' techno thing has really moved on much since the early 90s. Something like this (in '93) still seems like it covered much of what would follow. But it's a sound that I have a default liking for, however repetitive it gets.

And yeah, Voyage Voyage. There was a time around then when I think some people were really treating pop music as art. Kind of pretentious, but in a good way.This is another one.
Old 02.17.2017, 10:32 AM   #28
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm on it ! Listening to Blanck Mass Boiler Room live set right now. It's fantastic, just that kind of music that I like. This guy knows how to set up a proper ecstatic atmosphere.

I recently discovered the label Nothern Electronics, you're familiar with them? Stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDBwRXUiBx8

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daSid6Lh9Vs

Hypnotic.

Actually I don't believe I am familiar with Northern Electronics specifically, though I have listened to some Varg before and have always enjoyed it.

Never as much as I enjoyed the song you posted though. Holy shit, that was fucking great! I have been scouring streaming services for the late-late 2016 Nordic Flora Series pt.1: HEROINE that the track is from, and finally just bought a digital copy on Bandcamp (vinyl was sold out).

Thank you!!

See, this is why we need this thread. There's SO MUCH of this shit out there, and when I'm specifically looking for some new electronic shit, I usually won't find it (not easily) by checking in the What are you listening to? Or Best new/most anticipated threads.

Damn good stuff.
Old 02.17.2017, 10:37 AM   #29
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

And yeah, Voyage Voyage. There was a time around then when I think some people were really treating pop music as art. Kind of pretentious, but in a good way.This is another one.

See, I'd just call this ^^ pop. It's artistic, and it's ambitious and forward thinking for its era, but the main focus is still on the performer, the singing, and the performance.

Not trying to be a dick. I'm just saying I wouldn't really consider this "electronic music" myself. But to each his or her own! And thanks for participating. I hope more people do. This is looking to be a shit ass year for hip-hop, so I hope to be ass deep in new techno-house-acid-footwork-two-step-dance-ambient-whatever-the-fuck, and I'll need your help.
Old 02.17.2017, 10:47 AM   #30
Severian
invito al cielo

Just for referenc, with the exception of certain artists like Nicolas Jaar or Matthew Dear (who both use vocals and even live instrumentation pretty consistently, but do so in a way that still manages to feel distinctly non-rock/pop, with emphasis on pulses and bleeps & bloops) I feel like this is the gold standard for "bands" or artists that perform in addition to programming:

Caribou - "I Can't Do Without You" from Our Love

^^
In other words, this doesn't take into account purely electronic musicians who employ vocals/vocalists in their songs, like my beloved DJ Koze.
Old 02.17.2017, 10:57 AM   #31
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
SYNTH BRITANNIA is an interesting BBC doc for anyone who hasn't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK1P93r9xes
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2017, 11:04 AM   #32
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I think I started a thread for them before. Totally worth checking out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh2y...e=channel_page
http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.co.uk/...etic-1975.html
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2017, 11:25 AM   #33
demonrail666
invito al cielo

More at the trancier end of things, but definitely not pop, I've been playing this to death for the past few weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ThEJ3gjYkU

Also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Alm1hoYoj8

The kind of music that makes me want to go to that club in Neon Demon
Old 02.17.2017, 12:08 PM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
(I was kidding about Muddy Waters)
Old 02.17.2017, 12:12 PM   #35
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I think I started a thread for them before. Totally worth checking out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh2y...e=channel_page
http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.co.uk/...etic-1975.html

You did. I remember. ''Twas a good thread and I thank you for your reply here.

More please!
Old 02.17.2017, 12:13 PM   #36
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
(I was kidding about Muddy Waters)

Man shut the fuck up

Yeah, I knew you were kidding. That's why I asked you not to be a wiseass.
Old 02.17.2017, 04:34 PM   #37
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

As most hip hop music is essentially brickolage , composed solely of synth drumbeats, and digitally sampled audio files would they count as electronic music?

I only listen to Casi Cada Minuto
Old 02.17.2017, 08:25 PM   #38
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I like that one Dylan album where one side is acoustic and the other is electronic.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2017, 10:20 PM   #39
Severian
invito al cielo

I miss portishead.
Old 02.18.2017, 03:55 AM   #40
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I miss portishead.

I was only thinking about them the other day. Crazy that it's nearly ten years since Third came out. Is there even any news of them doing anything new?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth