Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Severian's electronic music gastropub
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.16.2017, 01:14 PM   #181
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
New Four Tet is dope!

Four Tet - "Planet" (YouTube)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2017, 02:41 AM   #182
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Ok. Unfair.

RECORD STUFF. LET ME BUY IT FROM YOU!

setlist of what I played:

Taylor Deupree - Autum
Alva Noto – Xerrox Isola
Datach’I – Nebulae v2
Hiele – Mode D’Hiele
Lanark Artefax – Remainder 1
Lotic – Underneath
Matt Carlson – The View from Nowhere
Siavash Amini – Nonexistent Vicinities
Konx-Om-Pax – Manhunter
Norwell – Hyperbole
Africa Hitech – Blen (rmx)
Nurse With Wound - That Leaking Putrid Underbelly
Rezzet - Doyce
Illium – Thousand Yard Stare
Sophia Loizou - Glimpses of Death
Smackos - Air Koryo Burger
Sensational&Kruton - You in the Right Spot
Ben Frost – Eurydice’s Heel
Marcellis – Sleep
TCF – 54 c6 05 1c…
Save! – The Darkness
Phonophani – Deep Learning
Black Dice - Endless Happiness
Xavier Wulf & Bones - Bochi Nibiku
Oneohtrix Point Never - Zebra
Minor Science - Naturally Spineless
Jlin – Nandi
Moire - Lost You
Khotin - Health Pack
Bernardino Femminelli - Plaisires Americanes
Biosphere - Invariable Cowhandler
Coil - Amethyst Deceivers
Damian Valles - Calavera
MJ Guider - Evencycle
The Caretaker - All You Arwe Going to Want

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2017, 10:05 AM   #183
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
setlist of what I played:

Taylor Deupree - Autum
Alva Noto – Xerrox Isola
Datach’I – Nebulae v2
Hiele – Mode D’Hiele
Lanark Artefax – Remainder 1
Lotic – Underneath
Matt Carlson – The View from Nowhere
Siavash Amini – Nonexistent Vicinities
Konx-Om-Pax – Manhunter
Norwell – Hyperbole
Africa Hitech – Blen (rmx)
Nurse With Wound - That Leaking Putrid Underbelly
Rezzet - Doyce
Illium – Thousand Yard Stare
Sophia Loizou - Glimpses of Death
Smackos - Air Koryo Burger
Sensational&Kruton - You in the Right Spot
Ben Frost – Eurydice’s Heel
Marcellis – Sleep
TCF – 54 c6 05 1c…
Save! – The Darkness
Phonophani – Deep Learning
Black Dice - Endless Happiness
Xavier Wulf & Bones - Bochi Nibiku
Oneohtrix Point Never - Zebra
Minor Science - Naturally Spineless
Jlin – Nandi
Moire - Lost You
Khotin - Health Pack
Bernardino Femminelli - Plaisires Americanes
Biosphere - Invariable Cowhandler
Coil - Amethyst Deceivers
Damian Valles - Calavera
MJ Guider - Evencycle
The Caretaker - All You Arwe Going to Want

Lots of cool stuff in here, but I want to hear more of your original stuff.

It really blew my mind, man. I was just in love with that set your shared a few months ago. I hope you're still doing that stuff.
Old 09.18.2017, 03:13 AM   #184
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Lots of cool stuff in here, but I want to hear more of your original stuff.

It really blew my mind, man. I was just in love with that set your shared a few months ago. I hope you're still doing that stuff.

I am I will work on new music shortly, I promise.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 09.18.2017, 09:19 AM   #185
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I am I will work on new music shortly, I promise.

Cool!

Hey, what's your take on Jamie Xx? I hate the Xx, but when he started producing and doing electronic house music and dabbling in footwork, some of it resonated with me. When In Colour first came out, I bought it and thought it was good, then decided it was mediocre. Then I heard "Gosh" again the other day and it's been stuck in my brain.

I'm not sure what to make of it. He seems like half a hack, like he's sort of faking his way through it and getting rave reviews and shit by accident, but a good song is a good song, right?

I don't know.
Old 09.19.2017, 02:39 AM   #186
_slavo_
invito al cielo

Quote:
Hey, what's your take on Jamie Xx?

Shit.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 09.19.2017, 10:32 AM   #187
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Shit.

Haha!

Yeah, ok, pretty much me too. But "Gosh" is good in my opinion. Not for all the time listening, but that climax is pretty sweet.
Old 09.19.2017, 12:47 PM   #188
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Gosh's a great track imo. Got to agree with slavo with the rest of his music though – not that I heard everything he's done by far, but everything I've heard was bland
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2017, 01:38 PM   #189
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
Gosh's a great track imo. Got to agree with slavo with the rest of his music though – not that I heard everything he's done by far, but everything I've heard was bland

Yeah. Glad I'm not the only one who likes "Gosh." That was the big track from that album, and I think the lead single. I had only previously heard his stuff with Gil Scott Heron, and thought it was OK, and I liked "Gosh" so I got In Colour and gave it a good honest go. But... yeah, pretty freaking mediocre all in all.

Still, that song is now on my ever-growing electro playlist. I am decidedly NOT a Jamie xx fan, but that song captures something.

There are a few electronic artists like that. Flume is another one. Mostly just EDM trash, but his first album had some definite bonkers tracks on it.

Heck, I even like that Calvin Harris song with Frank Ocean. What's that one called? Slide? I think so. Yeah... not good music, not a good artist (Calvin Harris that is) but that's a good song.

I don't think I have much of a point here, other than that even shitty artists can have good songs, or strike a chord, or stumble upon something dope. I actually kind of hate everything Jamie xx stands for and his "rock" music is just tepid boring trash, but "Gosh" rules.
Old 09.25.2017, 09:49 AM   #190
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Figured this could appeal to some of you guys: https://soundcloud.com/backgroundsou...t-martin-paris
This one's a set I played yesterday in Jardin Villemin, which is a public park in front of the beautiful Canal St-Martin in Paris. The set was open air and took place in an event called La Pause Electronique – idea was to play a set that would met with the sound atmosphere of the place and hopefully have people discovering other kinds of electronic music, in that specific setting, trying to draw links between the place and the music. I ended up playing lots of ambient, hauntology, weird loops, instrumental hip hop and experimental stuff, and turns out people really enjoyed it so I played 20 bonus minutes at the end
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2017, 09:31 PM   #191
Severian
invito al cielo

DJ KOZE IS GETTING READY TO RELEASE A NEW STUDIO ALBUM.

This is, in case you need reminding, the ONE thing I really, truly wanted this year in terms of electronic music. It’s been 4 years since “Amygdala,” the best electronic album of the decade, came out, and since then, all we’ve had from Mr. Koze are: a remix collection, a label complications, a DJ-Kicks volume, and the odd one-off single.

You can preview his new song, “Seeing Aliens,” in the short fashion video (ugh, I know) below:
https://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=40256

It’s only a tiny little clip, but it’s primising. You can hear the color and whimsy of the notorious KOZ all over this thing, and I can’t fucking wait to hear the whole song.

I guess chances are he won’t have the album ready before the end of the year, but still, just knowing that a proper, full-length “Amygdala” follow-up is coming is extremely heartening.

LISTEN, NERDS!!!
Old 10.21.2017, 09:33 PM   #192
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
Figured this could appeal to some of you guys: https://soundcloud.com/backgroundsou...t-martin-paris
This one's a set I played yesterday in Jardin Villemin, which is a public park in front of the beautiful Canal St-Martin in Paris. The set was open air and took place in an event called La Pause Electronique – idea was to play a set that would met with the sound atmosphere of the place and hopefully have people discovering other kinds of electronic music, in that specific setting, trying to draw links between the place and the music. I ended up playing lots of ambient, hauntology, weird loops, instrumental hip hop and experimental stuff, and turns out people really enjoyed it so I played 20 bonus minutes at the end

This is indeed badass.
Thank you so much for sharing!

I tried to rep you but can’t because of “you must spread rep around...” blah blah blah fascists!!! Anyway, thanks!
Old 10.30.2017, 11:48 PM   #193
gogologogolo
little trouble girl

gogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's asses
I keep coming back to the new Four Tet album. I'm not sure if it's because it's a good album or it's good study music, but I like it. Planet is the single to listen to off that one.
gogologogolo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2017, 09:35 AM   #194
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogologogolo
I keep coming back to the new Four Tet album. I'm not sure if it's because it's a good album or it's good study music, but I like it. Planet is the single to listen to off that one.

Man, I was really excited about it, but it’s turned out to be kind of a letdown for me. Just not very compelling, in my opinion. Weird for Four Tet. It’s got a very traditional quality to it that is, frankly, not what I really want to hear... especially in techno. It feels like it could have been released in the ‘90s. It’s not *bad* but it just hasn’t grabbed me the way other albums have.

*shrug*

This year’s biggest jolts to the brain have been Jlin’s “Black Origami,” Actess’ “AZD,” and Visible Cloaks’ “Reassemblage,” Arca’s “Arca’s” and Mount Kimbie’s “Love What Survives.” All really goddamn great records that run the gamut from ambient to next-level footwork to more amorphous, innovative weirdness.

Also, not sure if it’s electronicy enough, but Fever Ray’s “Plunge” is goddamn amazing.
Old 11.01.2017, 09:24 PM   #195
gogologogolo
little trouble girl

gogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Man, I was really excited about it, but it’s turned out to be kind of a letdown for me. Just not very compelling, in my opinion. Weird for Four Tet. It’s got a very traditional quality to it that is, frankly, not what I really want to hear... especially in techno. It feels like it could have been released in the ‘90s. It’s not *bad* but it just hasn’t grabbed me the way other albums have.

*shrug*

This year’s biggest jolts to the brain have been Jlin’s “Black Origami,” Actess’ “AZD,” and Visible Cloaks’ “Reassemblage,” Arca’s “Arca’s” and Mount Kimbie’s “Love What Survives.” All really goddamn great records that run the gamut from ambient to next-level footwork to more amorphous, innovative weirdness.

Also, not sure if it’s electronicy enough, but Fever Ray’s “Plunge” is goddamn amazing.
I wasn't a huge fan of the new Actress, I feel like it somehow didn't live up to the previous albums he released. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

And yeah, fair enough. I've always had a soft spot for Four Tet, even if his albums aren't the most revolutionary electronica out there. Sometimes I just like to listen to some well-produced music that I can tune out while doing other things.

Speaking of, I've been listening to Selected Ambient works on loop lately. That one was really something special. Apparently Aphex Twin had made thousands of tracks before that and the album was just a compilation of the best he had done until that point.
gogologogolo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2017, 10:32 AM   #196
Severian
invito al cielo

There’s a new/previously unreleased Nicolas Jaar song out as of this morning.

I guess it’s not really “out” as it can’t be purchased anywhere yet, but it will be on the deluxe edition of his excellent 2016 album SIRENS, which drops Friday with more bonus material. You can listen to it on YouTube. And that’s exactly what you’ll do if you give a fuck about anything.

Nicolas Jaar - “Coin in Nine Hands” (YouTube)
Old 01.01.2018, 09:53 AM   #197
Severian
invito al cielo

I’m not sure if there’s enough interest to make a new gastropub for 2018, but I’m considering it. Partly because if I don’t I fear I’ll see “_tunic_’s electronic gastropub” and fuck that.

I’d like to keep the conversation of new and exciting electronic music going, but in all honesty I need your help. Last year saw a record low for me in new album purchases, and with life getting more complicated and less fun by the day, it’s hard to find time to listen to my favorite music, let alone find new music that doesn’t suck. So please throw your random discoveries and recommendations at me, and listen to mine. Keep me interested and I’ll try to do the same.

My most anticipated electronic release of 2018 (once again) the new DJ Koze album, which is apparently *actually* under construction right now... finally.
I’m also thirsty as fuck for something new from KidKanevil, who softly blew my mind out the back of my head with his 2014 album “My Little Ghost,” but has been almost completely silent since then.

Some great electronic releases came out in 2017. There was some truly great stuff. Like...

• Jlin - Black Origami
• Blanck Mass - World Eater
• Visible Cloaks - Reassemblage
• Arca - Arca
• Botany - Raw Light II
• Sampha - Process
• Actress - AZD
• Fever Ray - Plunge
• DJ Sports - Modern Species
• Mount Kimbie - Love What Survives
• Hans Zimmer & Benjamin Wallfisch - “Blade Runnet 2049” OST (probably would have been even better if Jóhann Jóhannsson had stayed involved, but still great)
• Hype Williams - Rainbow Edition
• Four Tet - New Energy
• Ben Frost - The Center Cannot Hold
• Oneohtrix Point Never - “Good Time” OST
• Nathan Fake - Providence
• Emptyset - Borders
• Bonobo - Migration

And others I can’t remember just now.

So. Let’s keep chatting up the bleeps and bloops as they
Old 01.01.2018, 06:19 PM   #198
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I’m not sure if there’s enough interest to make a new gastropub for 2018, but I’m considering it.

UH, well, this thread doesn't say "2017", so why would you consider starting a new one? If this were an actual pub, you wouldn't go, "Oh shit, 2018, I gotta build another pub". You're fuckin' odd!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2018, 09:12 PM   #199
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
UH, well, this thread doesn't say "2017", so why would you consider starting a new one? If this were an actual pub, you wouldn't go, "Oh shit, 2018, I gotta build another pub". You're fuckin' odd!

Thanks for the valuable input. You give me a friend erection from awesome friendship.
Old 01.01.2018, 09:39 PM   #200
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
No need to be vulgar. I'm just trying to keep your thread shenanigans from taking over your psyche.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth