Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new/most anticipated albums: 2017
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.12.2017, 10:14 AM   #21
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
it's not about being hip, it's about nine inch nails being completely and inarguably shite innit and them being diametrically opposed to like everything a band like sonic youth would stand for....or whatever.

Don't be an asshole. Nothing is "completely and inarguably" anything, and you damn well know it. Do you know how much some people hate Sonic Youth? Surely you've encountered folks who would say the same exact thing about them.

Wait... Look... watch this: I disagree, and argue that nin is not shite

There. Proof that NIN is not "inarguably shite."

To be completely honest, I don't listen to Nine Inch Nails a lot. Maybe once every couple years I'll run through the albums on a mini-binge. There is no question that Trent has released some truly godawful shit over the years, and I'd never argue that NIN is, like, undeniably brilliant. But I listened to them all the time in my teens, so there's a lot of nostalgic value in the music for me. Their albums hold up a hell of a lot better than a lot of the alt-rock of the '90s. And in adulthood I've found a lot to like about Reznor's scores with Atticus Ross. He's made some interesting music in this decade.

Also, I think NIN actually helped me get into Sonic Youth. The Downward Spiral was instrumental in making me aware of the value of noise and dissonance in music. Soon after, I'd sought out EJST&NS and Washing Machine. I may never have committed to sitting through an 18-minute "Diamond Sea" if I hadn't been turned on to lengthy cacophonous sound collages by artists including but not limited to Nine Inch Nails.

Besides, hating on NIN for being empty corporate alt-rock is soooo 2001.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2017, 11:38 AM   #22
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
this is such stupid shit. NIN has some great stuff. Downward Spiral is one of my fav albums ever. SY is my fav band ever. I don't care if someone thinks that they'd look down at me for liking NIN. I really thought everyone on this board was old enough to know that none of this shit matters.
Old 01.12.2017, 12:13 PM   #23
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
this is such stupid shit.

Lemme go ahead and clarify (to these other folks) ... what you're saying, clearly, that what guest is saying is stupid shit. Don't wanna put words in your mouth, but I'm pretty sure you think what I'm saying is awesome. Right? Right. Ok it's settled then.

Quote:
NIN has some great stuff. Downward Spiral is one of my fav albums ever. SY is my fav band ever. I don't care if someone thinks that they'd look down at me for liking NIN. I really thought everyone on this board was old enough to know that none of this shit matters.

This kind of thing is always in the air, man. I don't think it really has much to do with age. Maybe maturity to some extent, but really I think it's about manners.

Point being, if you hate music that someone else likes, you can say something disparaging and insulting about it, or you say something that gets your point across without being antagonistic ["I've never really cared for that myself, but ... (something neutral and conversational, like) it's cool that they're doing a high quality vinyl reissue! (Or whatever)] or you don't say anything.

Either way, it's a decision. You might make different decisions based on different company, but ... well, I can't really see the value in just being a dick and that's it. Not because you have to, but because you choose to.

But yeah, I kinda feel like with all the different music we listen to here, it's pretty silly to insult someone's musical preferences, since it's likely (probable) that we all listen to something that others think is utter crap. Shrug. Dumb shit, for sure.
Old 01.12.2017, 06:40 PM   #24
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Fine, let's see what I can remember...

Reflection — Brian Eno (out now)
Rock Pool EP — Cate Le Bon (January 27)
A Pink Sunset For No One [download only, apparently] — Noveller (February 10)
The Hired Hands: A Tribute To Bruce Langhorne — various artists (February 24)
Graveyard Whistling — Old 97's (February 24)
English Tapas — Sleaford Mods (March 3)
We All Want The Same Things — Craig Finn (March 24)
In The Same Room [live] — Julia Holter (March 31)
World On Sticks — Sam Phillips (date TBA)
Live At Largo At The Coronet concert film — Sam Phillips (date TBA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
Spoon
Hot Thoughts (March 17 TBC)

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2017, 06:50 PM   #25
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Now, from the archival stuff department:

Buzzcocks announce 40th anniversary reissue of Spiral Scratch EP plus Time's Up studio bootleg and early years box set

Quote:

Buzzcocks are reissuing their debut EP, Spiral Scratch, to coincide with its 40th anniversary.

They will also reissue Time's Up, a bootleg of the band's first-ever studio recording session. They will also both be collected in the Mk. 1 box, which will also include reprinted photographs, concert flyers, pins, and a reimagined print of Manchester punk fanzine, Shy Talk.

Spiral Scratch will be reissued on January 27 via Domino on 7" and as a digital download. Time's Up and Mk. 1 both available from Domino on March 10.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2017, 08:55 PM   #26
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
but severian doesn't your being so insecure about this stuff at least to some degree highlight the issue? like half the time I do this for a piss-up, but I think speaking truthfully something like nine inch nails is (to me) so ideologically antithetical to not only a band like sonic youth but indeed so much of the stuff you post about on here; it's a dilution and commodification of that sense of 'outsider'-dom/alienation which strips the power from that form o' expression, and for someone to whom that element of singularity is so fucking central in enjoying music and who in some cases has taste that lines up with your own I'm sort of bemused by how we can be drawn to the same thing for such different reasons, whatever that might mean. like I might listen to a lot of broad music but I think it's bound by something, some sort of purity, but nine inch nails eg. are cynicism and posturing manifest in a preteen's crispy cum rag.

INTERESTING.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2017, 10:30 PM   #27
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
but severian doesn't your being so insecure about this stuff at least to some degree highlight the issue? like half the time I do this for a piss-up, but I think speaking truthfully something like nine inch nails is (to me) so ideologically antithetical to not only a band like sonic youth but indeed so much of the stuff you post about on here

Hmm. Well. I see where you're coming from, and certainly I do come from a kind of "punk" background and philosophy which has informed a lot of my views about music today. But... man... I'm not an ideologue. My main thing about music is this: If it makes my brain feel good, fuck everything else.

Quote:
it's a dilution and commodification of that sense of 'outsider'-dom/alienation which strips the power from that form o' expression, and for someone to whom that element of singularity is so fucking central in enjoying music and who in some cases has taste that lines up with your own I'm sort of bemused by how we can be drawn to the same thing for such different reasons

Ok, well... listen man. Good for you and stuff, but "'outsider'-dom/alienation" is absolutely not "fucking central" to MY "enjoying music."

Fucking hell man... I'm closing in on 40. This isn't high school. I don't even remember high school.

You know what I listen to a fuck ton of? Unwound, Keiji Haino, Vladislav Delay, Fennesz, Fugazi, yeah... all of these... Know what else I listen to?

Fucking "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes. Seriously. Love it. I love some LAME ASS SHIT. Some horrifyingly poppy music that is as far from cool, alienated punk as you can get.

I also have a thing for Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan (some, anyway), certain RRALLY lame McCartney solo albums (have you ever heard Flowers in the Dirt? No? Welcome to the world. But it's got some bangers).

I have my "core" musical identity, but I also just love music. At this point in my life it has nothing to do with sensibilities, philosophies, etc. I know... Thurston would think I'm a dick. Actually I don't think he would, but yeah -- this whole "alienation being crucial to the way you enjoy music" thing is a way in which we are entirely different.

Did you forget that Kanye West is pretty much my favorite current artist? I listen to TONS of music that is diametrically opposed to TONS of other music I listen to.

Again, if the music makes my brain feel good, all is well. Doesn't mean I'll listen to Twenty one Pilots or whatever, but I'm not going to deny my ears and brain pleasure on some dated need to be an outsider. Fuck that.

Quote:
like I might listen to a lot of broad music but I think it's bound by something, some sort of purity.

That sounds incredibly naïve to me, and a bit pretentious. But whatever floats your boat, man.

Nin's cover of Trent and Pigface's "Suck" is a synth rock storm. Sorry you don't like it, but I already explained that I liked it when I was young, and it stuck with me. Surely you understand nostalgia. Not that that's all it is that keeps me interested in NIN.
Old 01.12.2017, 11:38 PM   #28
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Bette Davis Eyes is a good song.

well, there's no room for 'cool' or 'uncool' anymore. there's a niche for everything.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2017, 07:00 AM   #29
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
Bette Davis Eyes is a good song.

well, there's no room for 'cool' or 'uncool' anymore. there's a niche for everything.

It's a damn good song, with a melody that has — consciously or not — inspired generations of synth tinkerers. Most of them shit compared to Kim Carnes.

Fleetwood Mac also kinda aped it on the song "Seven Wonders" from '87. As did that tune from ROCKY IV (y'know, the one that plays when Rocky's sad-driving, thinking about Apollo, and a montage of all his Apollo moments plays over that terrible synth-butt song?).

Also, I think Kim Gordon would probably say the lyrics are dope. "All the boys think she's a spy" ... I could totally see Kim writing something like that.
Old 01.13.2017, 07:11 AM   #30
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
https://soundcloud.com/wolfeyes-tripmetal/undertow
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2017, 07:20 AM   #31
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
that tune from ROCKY IV (y'know, the one that plays when Rocky's sad-driving, thinking about Apollo, and a montage of all his Apollo moments plays over that terrible synth-butt song?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOXaPE6gklI

I had the soundtrack on cassette and absolutely played that song to death.

Good times
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2017, 02:23 PM   #32
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
got the new Flaming Lips ready to listen to... in a couple of hrs.
Old 01.13.2017, 02:50 PM   #33
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Good times

Chirst, it's like watching the Ricky Gervais video "If you don't know me by now"

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2017, 05:36 PM   #34
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
got the new Flaming Lips ready to listen to... in a couple of hrs.

Boring AF.
Old 01.13.2017, 07:56 PM   #35
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Boring AF.

Really?

I disagree. I didn't expect it to blow my mind, and it didn't, but it's full of nice grooves, good songs and some surprisingly well-programmed electro-glitchy shit. An improvement in that respect over The Terror.

Also, there are moments that harken back to older Lips periods. "The Castle" could fit perfectly on Zaireeka, or even Soft Bulletin. "We A Family" has the sound of At War with the Mystics, but it's more mature and fleshed out.

Honestly, I listened to it first when it was still dark out, on my way to the dentist to have a two-hour mouth-fucking. Put it right back on in the chair and it held my interest. I'm a harsh critic of bands "going electro" (soooooo cliché at this point... it would be more interesting for "electro" to "go band" in my opinion), but the Lips have been toying with that sound for a while and at this point it's like half of what they do, and they're GOOD at it. That's rare.

Now, I will admit that there are some themes and sounds that they've been hammering away at with an almost NIN-like tenacity, and those things are getting old. Embryonic was 8 years ago.... not all the vocals have to be distorted, not all the bass lines have to be slow-Sabbath. Ugh. BUT it's not a bad album at all. Definitely didn't bore me. Would love to hear more about what you found "boring AF," because if you like the Lips at all, it's pretty goddamn Lipsy, and I don't see how it's any more "boring" than anything else since their real, honest to God glory days (basically everything from In a Priest-Driven Ambulance to Yoshimi... also Embryonic.)
Old 01.13.2017, 08:01 PM   #36
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Good times

Fixed.

The music video is not the correct way to experience the song. You must have Stallone angst, '85 style.

(Don't forget "Hearts on Fire" too! )
Old 01.14.2017, 01:07 AM   #37
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
^^there's a really good Survivor song out there too and an album that will solve this.
Old 01.14.2017, 01:37 AM   #38
pepper_green
Banned

Quote:
Boring AF.

really?!?!
Old 01.14.2017, 10:12 AM   #39
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Nothing on it was bad to me. But nothing stood out as a song I would have to hear again. I feel like after a song ended, I forgot what I just heard. Again not bad. But not memorable. A lot if felt samey.
Old 01.14.2017, 11:26 AM   #40
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Nothing on it was bad to me. But nothing stood out as a song I would have to hear again. I feel like after a song ended, I forgot what I just heard. Again not bad. But not memorable. A lot if felt samey.

Well, that makes you lame and stuff, you don't get it, it's all genius and you like Nine Inch Nails so how could you possibly understand, and all that.

(Psst... hey, it's me Severian. I'm just playing with ya, I don't really feel that way about you ... I'm still kinda trolling guest for being a bit of a snooty-pants, that's all. )

AAAAnyway, I respect your opinion, but I'm kinda getting the impression that you may have not listened to the whole album, or skipped songs based on how they started or something. Not a judgement, and if I'm wrong, tell me, but my own experience was so dissimilar that I'm wondering if something didn't prevent you from giving it much attention.

I've picked out a few spots for you to revisit. Revisit them! These are some of the moments that made me sway away the dentist yesterday so I could check my phone and take note of the song that was playing:

"Listening to Frogs With Demon Eyes" (4:30 onward... gets fucking good.)
"One Night While Hunting for Færies and Witches and Wizards to Kill" (2:00 onward... nice slow-build before that, but it gets pretty intense there in the last stretch)
"The Castle" (whole thing please)
"We a Family" (see above)

Tell ya what... schedule a really long and excruciatingly painful dentist appointment like I did. Take full advantage of all the drugs they are willing to give you (tell them you have Banner's Syndrome, which causes you to aggressively attack anyone who causes you any pain... not a real thing by the way -- just made it up based on The Hulk, but if dentists were smart they'd be actual doctors ), then suck in that gas, like I did, plug in them headphones and give it another go. Should only be a couple hundred dollars tops if you have insurance. Or... I guess you could just listen to the album more and spend zero dollars, but what fun is that?
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth