Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new/most anticipated albums: 2017
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.08.2017, 03:24 PM   #1
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
(Thank you Moshe. You are the sweetest.)

So, it's a new year and I'd like to continue talking about new releases as they come out and as we await them with you fine people, as we did in 2016.

Again, this is meant to be an informational thread. We're all music lovers, and we all want to learn about new music, but most of us are grown ass adults with busy lives and jobs and the like, so we don't always have time to dig for new music, or keep up with news about upcoming releases from established artists.

So it's my hope that we can learn from each other here.

• If you hear an interesting new artist on bandcamp or on your local college radio station (assuming such things still exist), please, PLEASE, tell us about it here.

• If you read about an exciting new release from some massive band everyone knows about already, bring that shit up too!!

• And finally, share your thoughts on new records as you digest and process them. Keep us up to date on what's holding your attention. Conversely, if something you were looking forward to turns out to be terrible, share that information too!

So, for starters, I'll re-post what I put in Moshe's thread. Nothing truly new here, just some promising upcoming albums from artists that are well known to everyone. But hey, the year is young!

---

Flaming Lips - Oczy Mlody (Jan. 13)

Bonobo - Migration (Jan. 13)

Sleater-Kinney - Live in Paris (Jan. 20)

There are also new albums on the way from Spiritualized (reportedly the band's swan song, so let's hope it kicks some ass) and Spoon (never a bad thing). Also "return" albums from LCD Soundsystem and The Jesus & Mary Chain. I am choosing to be optimistic about both of these albums even though they will likely be underwhelming.

Now, as for me, the one album I really want to drop in 2017 is DJ Koze's follow-up to 2013's Amygdala. The guy has released SOMETHING every year since (singles, a terrific remix album, a kickass DJ Kicks set, and just last year a great compilation for his PAMPA label), but Amygdala gets better with every listen, and it needs a proper follow-up from one of techno's most gifted and delightfully whimsical minds.

So my personal wish for 2017 is for a new full-length studio LP by this guy:

Cheers.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2017, 03:29 PM   #2
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Also, new albums expected from William Basinkski, Arcade Fire, Nine Inch Nails, a possible debut album from Chance the Rapper, a couple albums from Lupe Fiasco, who is also reportedly retiring after this year.

New blood needed!
Old 01.09.2017, 03:57 AM   #3
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Avec Le Soleil Sortant De Sa Bouche - Pas pire pop, I Love You So Much
William Basinski - A Shadow In Time
The Besnard Lakes - The Besnard Lakes Are The Divine Wind
Beck
Meg Baird & Mary Lattimore
Breeders
Brokeback - Illinois River Valley Blue
Broken Social Scene
Chastity Belt
Chrome - Techromancy ‎
Do Make Say Think
The Feelies - In Between
The Flaming Lips - Oczy Mlody
Fucked Up - Year of the Snake
Grails - Chalice Hymna
Grandaddy - Last Place
Kassel Jaeger & Jim O’Rourke - Wakes on Cerulean
Jesu/Sun Kil Moon - 30 Seconds To The Decline Of Planet Earth‎
Aimee Mann ‎
Pallbearer - Heartless
‎Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti - 13 ‎
Six Organs Of Admittance - Burn The Threshold
Son Volt - Notes of Blue
Spoon
Sparks
Strand of Oaks - Hard Love
Sun Kil Moon - Common As Light And Love Are Red Valleys Of Blood
This Patch of Sky
Thurston Moore - Rock n Roll Consciousness
The Necks - Unfold
Charlemagne Palestine & Grumbling Fur
Lee Ranaldo - Electric Trim
Max Richter - Three Worlds: Music From Woolf Works
‎Tears for Fears
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2017, 10:57 AM   #4
Severian
invito al cielo

Re: best new/most anticipated 2017:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
Avec Le Soleil Sortant De Sa Bouche - Pas pire pop, I Love You So Much

Oh wow, I forgot about Pas Pire Pop, I Love You So Much. Thank you for reminding me! This drops Jan. 20, and I want to place my order with Constellation in time to get it that week.
I really liked Zubberdust! a lot, was a nice reminder that the kind of proggy, krauty, post-rocky stuff from the mid-to-late-'90s and early '00s is still around, that the scene hasn't died completely. I'd still really love a new Fly Pan Am album, or even a follow up to Fuck Off, Get Fee..., because I just have a special place in my heat for this stuff, but having Avec Le Soleil... around is nice.

Quote:
Breeders

There's a new Breeders album coming out?! I was not aware. Or I'd forgotten. But that seems like the kind of thing I would remember... a follow-up to the excellent Mountain Battles, finally!! Is this a sure thing, or .... ?

Quote:
Do Make Say Think
Kassel Jaeger & Jim O’Rourke - Wakes on Cerulean

Also didn't know about DMST, but that's definitely something to look forward to. Again, love that whole extended family of Canadian post-rocky outfits, even if their "era" is kind of over (I blame Arcade Fire -- who's also coming out with something this year -- not because I hate them, but because they blew up in such a huge way, eclipsing their elders, and using their fame to channel Bruce Springsteen and U2, and kinda turning their back on the scene that birthed them.)

Quote:
Six Organs Of Admittance - Burn The Threshold
Thurston Moore - Rock n Roll Consciousness
Lee Ranaldo - Electric Trim

Six Organs of Admittance - Burning the Threshold will be out Feb. 24. Forgot about that one too. I'm excited about this one.
Here's artwork:

And of course I'm pumped about whatever Jim has cooking for the year, as well as the solo albums from Thurston and Lee.
Old 01.09.2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
I went to the bookies to put a bet on all releases this year being rubbish. Even odds so it could go either way but hey if you like to gamble I tell you I'm your man, win some lose some it's all the same to me...

However I do like a bit of Chastity Belt. Not bad for a bunch of Pavement bashing scruffy feminists. ..

Talking of Pavement - I heard a new Granddaddy song the other day and it wasn't totally shit. Just shit. And a shit Grandaddy song in the current climate is a good thing. Innit?
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2017, 12:07 PM   #6
Severian
invito al cielo

Demdike State - Circulation (out now)

Ordered and on the way.
Old 01.10.2017, 12:17 PM   #7
Severian
invito al cielo

Ariel Guzik - Cordiox (out Jan. 5, Von Archives)

Very interesting new dark ambient record. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Got the recommendation from Boomkat. It's eerie as hell. Recommended.
Old 01.11.2017, 04:09 PM   #8
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
So, for starters, I'll re-post what I put in Moshe's thread.

What in ALL THAT IS FUCK. This thread replaces the previous one? Why, because Severian is soooo special he just had to have HIS lame version of the thread instead of the one WHERE I HAD POSTED COOL SHIT WHICH NOW SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN LOST FOREVER? I will never forgive you, people.

GO FUCK A GOAT!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2017, 07:03 PM   #9
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
What in ALL THAT IS FUCK. This thread replaces the previous one? Why, because Severian is soooo special he just had to have HIS lame version of the thread instead of the one WHERE I HAD POSTED COOL SHIT WHICH NOW SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN LOST FOREVER? I will never forgive you, people.

GO FUCK A GOAT!

I didn't ask Moshe to delete his thread. Thought never even occurred to me. Moshe just did it. I told him I was only fucking around when a I complained about it. He was just being a sweetheart for some reason.

It would have been rude of me to not make a thread after he had deleted his just so I could make one. So I did.

I'm sure you remember the albums you listed.

Moshe if you're reading this, undelete your thread and delete this thread so things can be less frustrating for Soup Nazi. Poor guy's going to pop something.
Old 01.11.2017, 07:06 PM   #10
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
rice and beans man. rice and beans. driverless cashless anyone,..anyone? huh!?!
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2017, 07:32 PM   #11
Severian
invito al cielo

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile: 2017 Definitive Edition + The Fragile: Diversions 1 (3xLP)

Definitive Edition:

Diversions 1:

I know it's excessive (this is not even my favorite NIN album... or my second favorite... maybe not even my third) but I appreciate this reissue with the extended, full tracklist and the additional Diversions 1 instrumental/remix/alternate mix LP. I'm ordering it now. It's expensive, but fuck it. You only live once.
Old 01.11.2017, 08:42 PM   #12
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
if you only live once then why the fuck are you listening to nine inch nails

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2017, 08:47 PM   #13
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses

the new people skills record on BEB is really great, hadn't heard much outside of the lp for siltbreeze a few years back and an early tape. very much in that tradition of supremely bummed-out pop that tom lax seems to be so fond of and that blackest are starting to really tune into. acc. to the presser thurston is a fan so make of that what you will...

Old 01.11.2017, 08:56 PM   #14
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest

Because don't be a dick. That's why. Also, because I like Nine Inch Nails. Now tell me about how unhip that makes me or whatever-the-fuck so I can get the full internet discussion board fuckwad experience out of this exchange, and you can feel good.
Old 01.11.2017, 08:59 PM   #15
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

the new people skills record on BEB is really great, hadn't heard much outside of the lp for siltbreeze a few years back and an early tape. very much in that tradition of supremely bummed-out pop that tom lax seems to be so fond of and that blackest are starting to really tune into. acc. to the presser thurston is a fan so make of that what you will...

Hey yeah, I like this!

It came out in 2016, but still. Thanks!
Old 01.11.2017, 08:59 PM   #16
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Quote:

This part of the cover looks uncannily like some vintage 4AD artwork.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2017, 01:45 AM   #17
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

GO FUCK A GOAT!

My mistake. Sorry guys.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2017, 05:56 AM   #18
Blood_Promise
bad moon rising

Blood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's asses
Hoping for a new David Sylvian recording. Last year I heard from Magda Mayas that she was recording with him, later Burkhard Beins also told me a similar story of David Sylvian inviting a bunch of improvisers in Berlin for a recording session. Perhaps something in the direction of Manafon is the works - if that is the case - I am excited.
Blood_Promise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2017, 06:25 AM   #19
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Because don't be a dick. That's why. Also, because I like Nine Inch Nails. Now tell me about how unhip that makes me or whatever-the-fuck so I can get the full internet discussion board fuckwad experience out of this exchange, and you can feel good.
it's not about being hip, it's about nine inch nails being completely and inarguably shite innit and them being diametrically opposed to like everything a band like sonic youth would stand for....or whatever.

Old 01.12.2017, 09:53 AM   #20
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
My mistake. Sorry guys.

Don't apologize. Soup Nazi can handle it. You were just being nice.

I really didn't give a shit about the thread being *mine* ... and anyway, having a thread that's tied to a certain year is a shit way of getting oneself stickied! Would require un-stickying at year's end, and that sounds like a huge amount of work

Seriously though, you were just being nice. Maybe a bit impulsively nice, but hey... niceness is rare. Look around you! People like to be dicks for whatever reason! I find your kindness refreshing.
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth