Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café VI
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.14.2017, 04:59 AM   #61
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
When Kanye met Alejandro Jodorowsky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Qdc2ggPHc

Quote:
It was very surreal, do you want me to tell you? I'm not lying, Pascale was there. It was like this:

I didn't know anything about Kanye West. Really, I don't know who he is... nothing at all. The only thing they told me is that he is a rapper who says I'm a genius and that I inspired him to make the show Yeezus, that he was inspired by The Holy Mountain. Well, fantastic. Because I have always had something weird with rock. One day somebody at 7 o'clock in the morning calls me: "Mr. Jodorowsky?" "Yes?," "I am Marylin Manson." "Are you crazy or what?" "No, I am Maryilin Manson! I loved The Holy Mountain, I want you to direct a picture with me!" But whatever...

Well, I didn't rest well because I was working too much, so then I went to Nice, at the south of France, because there is a hotel whose name is Negresco, it's an old hotel full of paintings by famous painters. It's a very crazy hotel, I like it. And the secretary called me: "Mr. Kanye West wants to see you," so I ask Pascale who Kanye West is and she tells me I should answer because he is a very important person, so I say "Okay I will see him, but I am in Nice." And the secretary says "Mr. Kanye West is in Cannes, he can go to Nice in half an hour to see you," so I say "Okay, he can come, but when?" "This night, at 7 o'clock" "Okay, I'll wait for him."

At 5 or 6 o'clock the guy of the hotel calls to my room and says "Mr. Kanye West is here, we can lend to you a big room for free in order to stay with him." The guy was like crazy, so I say "Okay, at 7 o'clock?" "No, he's here already!" "Oh well, I will meet him at the bar." He was there, with four more guys. He was with the director Spike Jonze and an architect... five guys. And then we went to the room.

We sat down and I asked Pascale to sit by my side so she could translate. I asked him: "what do you want?"

I didn't know what to say because I didn't know who he was. Well he sings yeah, but what can I do about that? So I asked him what did he want. "Well I want to make a show and I wanted to meet you." "Yes, yes, fantastic." "If you want to be friends-" But you know what? He was very nice, like a child who wanted to know me. Very likeable. I liked him immediately. I felt some sort of connection. The other guy was, you know, helping him, he was there... but I don't know why was it that he was there. Anyway, I said to him "well you make shows?" "Yes." "Well then, like a friend, I will give you an idea." I'm not going to repeat what the idea was, but he liked it. My gift was an idea.

This concept of gifting an idea came from Dalí, because when I was with Dalí he said he wanted to be paid one thousand dollars the minute, or the hour, I can't remember very well. "I want to be the most paid actor in the history of movies! If you do give me one thousand dollars, I wil give you, as a prize, three ideas for free." I really liked that, giving an idea as a gift to someone else.

So I gave Kanye West an idea and he liked it. We continued speaking, we took a photo and he left. I never knew what he wanted. To this day, I still don't know. What did he want? Then I was looking at his work in the Internet, he was on a motorcycle singing with a very sensual woman... how can I help him with this? He's a phenomenon, but I don't really know him, you know? That's a gift God gives to you. He wanted to meet me? I'm happy to meet him. It was fantastic. Mysterious, though. He wanted to meet me, that was it. Just like you here. He wanted to speak with me, and I spoke. I swear it's true.

Did I forget something? (Pascale: He wanted to work with you) That he wanted to work with me? Maybe, maybe... but that I cannot say, because he said nothing. Maybe yes, maybe not. Who knows. (Did you read him the tarot?) Oh yes! I forgot! I had nothing to say to him so I just said: "... can I read the tarot to you?" "Yes! Yes!" And I read him the tarot. It was fantastic, really fantastic. It was beautiful, because evidently he's a man with an enormous and eager ambition. He expressed to me that he really wants to give something to young people. He's searching a meaning. Maybe that's why he came to me. He had a big idea or something.

I put three cards, so I can know what I can give to him. Here he had the Sun, a very luminous card; and here he had the Magician, who has in his hand a little sun, a little yellow center. I said to him: "You have the sun in your hands, maybe you can do what you want. But, who are you? Le Mat. The Fool." Incredible, right? And then, "where are you going? The World." The 21. It was so beautiful. A beautiful tarot. He was very moved. I'm not lying, it really was that beautiful.

Another thing I liked about him, he wanted to show me, I don't know, some kind of movement he likes to do and poof! He jumped to the floor and started to speak with me from there, then he sat again and continued speaking normally. Like myself working in a movie, I speak, take a cut, and then I speak again. He was speaking, then on the floor, and then speaking again. Like it was nothing, like it was normal. I've never seen anything like it. He's weird.

Oh, and I asked him what did he wanted to drink. "All of us drink water," I asked him if he didn't want alcohol, "no, we're all drinking water." Fantastic.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2017, 05:22 AM   #62
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
ha! what did he really want anyway? for him to direct something or just to meet him? he gave him idea about what exactly? I had a hard understanding Jodorowsky.

I know he met with Lynch at one time to direct a video. kanye is always too hip for his brain.

EDIT: I see you have it written out there.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2017, 11:40 AM   #63
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Wow. That is some freakishly hilarious shit if you just read it straight through.

Speaking of Lynch, that ^ Kanye/Jodorowsky conversation feels like something out of and Agent Cooper dream.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2017, 08:39 AM   #64
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
I fucking love Jodorowsky man. He's 87 but his mind is very lucid. I watched some bits off the "Jodorowsky's Dune" documentary on YouTube and it already inspired me so much, I'd like to see the entire thing eventually.
Old 01.17.2017, 08:40 AM   #65
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
ha! what did he really want anyway? for him to direct something or just to meet him? he gave him idea about what exactly? I had a hard understanding Jodorowsky.

I know he met with Lynch at one time to direct a video. kanye is always too hip for his brain.

EDIT: I see you have it written out there.
Kanye admiring their works only tells me that he has great taste in art. Seriously, who DOESN'T love Lynch and Jodorowksy?
Old 01.17.2017, 08:41 AM   #66
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wow. That is some freakishly hilarious shit if you just read it straight through.

Speaking of Lynch, that ^ Kanye/Jodorowsky conversation feels like something out of and Agent Cooper dream.
Haha word. I mean if Jodorowsky himself says it was surreal, we can only imagine how fucking surreal it really was.
Old 01.17.2017, 08:50 AM   #67
louder
invito al cielo

I'd like to see Kanye make the score for a movie by some A list director one day. Even if it's all instrumental. That would be so exciting.
Old 01.17.2017, 10:14 AM   #68
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Kanye admiring their works only tells me that he has great taste in art. Seriously, who DOESN'T love Lynch and Jodorowksy?

I hate Lynch and his claptrap dream logic babble nonsense more than I hate any other filmmaker. rubbish for fuckers who think he is deep. Complete waste of celluloid. a total fart stain on the history of storytelling through visual and audio media. His shit movies will be forgotten and no one will be the worse for it.
Old 01.17.2017, 10:25 AM   #69
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Eraserhead - only good on drugs, and even the it is like hearing someone retell their nightmare. Boring, stupid, and utterly meaningless.

Blue Velvet - Tedious, slow, depravity on screen to excite the sick abusers in the crowd and those that like to see pointless melodrama disguised as a art-house whodunnit. fucking stupid shit, "oohhh look how creeeeeeepy he is sucking on that nitrous...." fucking crap.

Wild At Heart - hesus fuck what boring bullshit. do white people really like this shit?

Twin Peaks - the obsession of every wanna-be hipster back in the day who thougt it was the coolest shit ever. fucking show sucked SHIT and the fucking fire walk with me movie? I shit on it. Fuck twin Peaks. fuck all this shit.

Lost Highway - yet more pointless dream logic disguised as a story about very very insipid boring rich white people and their perceived debaucheries and the whole fucking time I know Lynch is sitting there stroking his withered pecker to it. what a fucking shit stpid fuckin movie. There is a reason no one wants to hear anyones dream retellings! They are pointless, meaningless,a nd completely self-absorbed crap! Thats why! fuck Lynch and his fucking stupid shit.

Mulholland Drive - BORING. I fell asleep twice. so boring. so fucking boring. you know how boring your dream logic has to be to put others to sleep? UTTERLY BORING. Like a fucking torture.

Lynch is to filmmaking what Freud is to psychoanalysis. Originally titillating, exciting the boring white folks who love seemingly perverse and interesting imagery only to be show to be a total fraud asshole who used his medium to further his own neurosis and obvious racisms and sexisms. Fuck that shit and all his fucking movies.
Old 01.17.2017, 11:03 AM   #70
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
I'd like to see Kanye make the score for a movie by some A list director one day. Even if it's all instrumental. That would be so exciting.

I wish he would release all of his albums in instrumental format. He's been around long enough now (almost 13 years as a recording artist) that a reissue series would be appropriate. Each album in deluxe edition, with a bonus disc containing 1.) Non-album tracks from that period and demos/remixes, and 2.) An instrumental version of the full album.

That would be so-so-so fucking great.

Also, I'd LOVE to have a hard copy of the GOOD Friday tracks that didn't make it onto the albums. You really can't get that shit in a format other than YouTube or SoundCloud anymore without pirating (which I've sworn off for the time being).

Seriously, I want it all. "Christian Dior Denim Flow," "Don't Look Down," "Lord Lord Lord," "Looking for Trouble," "Chain Heavy," "Christmas in Harlem," "Don't Stop" ... Shit, there's all the makings of a dope rarities compilation there, seriously.

Anyway, yeah, he'd be excellent at score-writing. Or even just Soundtrack curating.
Old 01.17.2017, 01:32 PM   #71
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I hate Lynch and his claptrap dream logic babble nonsense more than I hate any other filmmaker. rubbish for fuckers who think he is deep. Complete waste of celluloid. a total fart stain on the history of storytelling through visual and audio media. His shit movies will be forgotten and no one will be the worse for it.

That's clearly not going to be true. At all.

What will be forgotten is your review/whine on him

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2017, 01:49 PM   #72
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
That's clearly not going to be true. At all.

What will be forgotten is your review/whine on him

Agreed. I think I mentioned somewhere on SYG that just last year Mulholland Drive was voted "Best Movie of the 21st Century" in a major critics poll from BBC Culture. Not only that, but it was also voted Best Horror Movie of all time, though I forget who exactly assembled that list.

In fact, shit... walk into any independent record store or movie store (hell, type in "best movies" in google) and you'll see Eraserhead. Maybe it's a list item, maybe it's a t-shirt, but it will probably be quite prominently displayed. That was his FIRST movie.

You think people are going to forget about Twin Peaks? It's been off the air for 25 years, and it never went out of style. It's return is anticipated with a fervor that makes Game of Thrones look like the next throwaway Transformers movie.

Rob, it all makes sense now. Despite the subjectivity of art, our culture has come as close as possible to PROVING that some things are not shit, and those are the things you hate. Shakespeare must really get your goat. And the Beatles. And don't get you started on that Beethoven wanker. Right? Right.
Old 01.17.2017, 01:50 PM   #73
Severian
invito al cielo

Though in fairness to Rob, I think we'd all love to forget Dune.
Old 01.17.2017, 06:38 PM   #74
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
wow! Rob really went on a tantrum there!

don't love everything Lynch has done but I can tell he treats film as an art form. no matter how kooky or pointless it is. never thought he was trying to be deep either. just trying to evoke something uncomfortable or surreal. it works for me. he does creepiness well and sometimes I like to indulge in creepiness.
Old 01.17.2017, 09:22 PM   #75
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
wow! Rob really went on a tantrum there!

don't love everything Lynch has done but I can tell he treats film as an art form. no matter how kooky or pointless it is. never thought he was trying to be deep either. just trying to evoke something uncomfortable or surreal. it works for me. he does creepiness well and sometimes I like to indulge in creepiness.

Yeah, he is not "trying to be deep." Fucker said himself he didn't know what Mulholland Drive was really about, or what "really" happened in it. He just created an experience, and a hell of an experience at that. He's not trying to unravel the mysteries of the universe. Frankly, I think only a very closed-minded person would watch his films and assume he was going for some elite academic or philosophical message. He's a curator of terror, and he's fascinated by the visceral response we have to extreme discomfort and our assumption that a lack of summary explanation is unnatural. Who says it's unnatural? Things don't get definitive explanations in real life, why should he treat us to an easy gift-wrapped package?
Old 01.17.2017, 09:36 PM   #76
pepper_green
Banned

^^ the perfect way I feel about Lynch.

Blue Velvet makes me nervous and excited and feel kinda blissful at the end.

hell, I even love Lost Highway and The Straight Story.

he picks beautiful actors too, that know how to reel you in sensually. what's not to love? he got Dennis Hopper to play one of his most fucked scary as shit roles.
Old 01.17.2017, 09:49 PM   #77
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
^^ the perfect way I feel about Lynch.

Blue Velvet makes me nervous and excited and feel kinda blissful at the end.

hell, I even love Lost Highway and The Straight Story.

he picks beautiful actors too, that know how to reel you in sensually. what's not to love? he got Dennis Hopper to play one of his most fucked scary as shit roles.

I am physically incapable of taking my eyes off Naomi Watts when she's on the screen. Physically fucking incapable. She mesmerizes me. So, excellent pick for Mulholland. And if you're into brunettes, well, there's plenty of good stuff there too. Hah!

His lavish, gorgeous sets really draw me in. Especially in Mullholand and Blue Velvet. Such gorgeous architecture, such brutal behavior taking place within. It is an effective way to get you uncomfortable close and feeling a bit too snug in the film's environment.
Old 01.17.2017, 10:13 PM   #78
pepper_green
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK7dDAm3NAk

you can't tell me this doesn't captivate any movie lover?
Old 01.17.2017, 10:24 PM   #79
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Naomi Watts rules.
Old 01.18.2017, 09:43 AM   #80
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK7dDAm3NAk

you can't tell me this doesn't captivate any movie lover?

Oh god man, absolutely. Not even the most captivating scene in the film, but I just watched that clip and I wanted to see the entire damn movie again! I also wanted to see Lost Highway on account of that last shot.

I think you and I are mos def on the same page with the ol' Blue Velvet. But let me ask you this — and pardon me if we already went over this in the movie thread, because I recently brought this up there and didn't get a ton of agreement — but do you find yourself laughing out loud at Blue Velvet? I mean, I know it's nothing short of a goddamn nightmare, and that it has some of the absolute most disturbing and unsettling moments and themes probably in the history of cinema, but ... in addition to being horrifying, don't you find it somewhat hilarious?

Don't think I'm some kind of sick asshole. I'm legitimately unsettled by that movie every time I see it, or even think about it. But, as with pretty much all Lynch films, he sprinkles his horror with blacker-than-black humor, and when Blue Velvet isn't paralyzing me with its horrors, it's making me literally LOL.

Even in that scene you posted there's plenty of examples of what I'm talking about. Like, when they walk into "Suave" Ben's. Who the live-long fuck are those bored-looking, overweight nobodies sitting against the wall? It's like... what? It makes me laugh every time. Of course, they're probably "mafia wives" or something... except for the guy. But they don't fit in with the scenery at all, and they do t say a fucking word. They're obviously taking "care" of the kid, and when I start to think about it I wonder if the women are previous versions of Dorothy. Women he's conned or blackmailed into being his mistresses in the past, who have been cast aside. Then that makes me not LOL, because I think if that's the case, what happened to their families? Why are they still there? And then I snap back to the horror of it all. But hell, that's all just speculation. They're just weird ass people — drug addicts I suppose — who happen to look like bloated housewives from Edward Scissorhands. And that shit makes me laugh.

Also in that scene:

Frank to Ben: "Suave, you are one suave motherfucker!" (Zing!)

Frank to Raymond: "Raymond where's the fuckin' beer man"
Raymond: "It's right here Frank. Do you want me to pour it?"
Frank: "No I want you to FUCK it! Shit yes, pour the fuckin' BEER!" (Zing!)

Frank to Ben: "Let's drunk to fucking. Say, 'Here's to your fuck, Frank'" (Zing!)
Ben: "If you like, Frank. Here's to your fuck. Cheers.
Frank: "'Cheers.' Wow, suave man. You are so FUCKIN' suave!" (Zing!)

Oh, and from elsewhere in the film:

Sandy to Jeffery: "I can't tell if you're a detective or a pervert."
Jeffery: "Well, that's for me to know and you to find out." Hahaha! WTF? (Zing, Zing!)

Tell me I'm not crazy.
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth