Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Paranoid: the first punk album?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.24.2008, 07:42 AM   #61
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

end of the thread.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2008, 09:47 AM   #62
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Nope.. while the albums mild connections to punk make some sense, sabbath can not rationally be associated with the movement. Its their sort of bombast that helped create punk's reactionary music in the first place.
Great band (for about 4 albums anyways) but not really punk.

the true bombast was bloated prog rock, not sabbath man.
Old 09.24.2008, 09:48 AM   #63
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
what i always say, is that...both the ramones, as well as the pistols...both covered stooges songs. i think that says something. both bands also mentioned the stooges as being an influence.

ramones covered chuck berry

does that make chuck berry punk?

NO

it makes them rock n rolllllllll
Old 09.24.2008, 09:49 AM   #64
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
End Of The Thread.

Old 09.25.2008, 06:16 AM   #65
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

e
n
d

o
f

t
h
r
e
a
d

Old 11.19.2017, 02:51 PM   #66
domic
empty page

domic has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
not the sound,the feel.
you misunderstand me comparing the sound,there are definite differences.These tunes feel like anarcho-chaos punk tunes,Subhumans,Aus Rotten,Crass,Allergic to Whores,the feel is what connects these bands.They feel the same level of angst at same subjects,and so theyre related.It seems Black Sabbath was pissed off at the same things punks were few years later,and Sabbath wrote an tunes about nuclear war,the corruption and depravity of the political system and pitfalls of military-industrial complex.
I AGREE. War pigs, electric funeral and hand of doom are actually the first rock metal punk songs recorded. Punk in the feel and attitude, angst-rock metal doom in sound, and the sirens at the beginning of war pigs sounds like an introduction to a punk album. Alot of angst against those who have power that screw with or screw over mostly the fellow man, and women and children. We just want whats right in the world, we don't need their crap.
domic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2017, 03:16 PM   #67
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
The first punk album was White Light/White Heat. That’s my timeline. Period.

Also I don’t think there’s anything punk about Sabbath. There are certainly similarities between metal and punk, but... no. Paranoid was not the first punk album. Or a punk album.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2017, 07:39 PM   #68
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
There are plenty of savage teenage garage 45s pre WL/WH by many years that are extremely "punk" in spirit and sound.
I believe Suicide were the first to refer to their music as "punk" on a show poster circa 71.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2017, 11:08 PM   #69
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
There are plenty of savage teenage garage 45s pre WL/WH by many years that are extremely "punk" in spirit and sound.
I believe Suicide were the first to refer to their music as "punk" on a show poster circa 71.

I know, but I think WL/WH cemented whatever was floating around in the periphery of the zeitgeist at the time. Took the Stooges and Ramones and Suicide and Pistols and blah blah to really hammer it into what it became, but fuck man... I can think of virtually no songs that are more “punk” in sound and spirit than “Sister Ray.”

Whatever. Long as you don’t think it was Paranoid.
Old 11.21.2017, 06:48 AM   #70
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
I heard punk was first used in ref to NY Dolls. Not saying Clone is wrong (I expect he is right) , just comparing scraps of info.

Anyone who thinks Paranoid is the first Punk record needs a punch in the head.

If yr going down the route of calling proto-punk stuff punk (cf Velvet Underground) which it isn't anyway, I see yr White Light/White Heat and raise you a Churchmice "Babe We're not a Part of Society".
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2017, 10:45 AM   #71
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I heard punk was first used in ref to NY Dolls. Not saying Clone is wrong (I expect he is right) , just comparing scraps of info.

Anyone who thinks Paranoid is the first Punk record needs a punch in the head.

If yr going down the route of calling proto-punk stuff punk (cf Velvet Underground) which it isn't anyway, I see yr White Light/White Heat and raise you a Churchmice "Babe We're not a Part of Society".

But Savage Clone is talking about proto-punk stuff too. Honestly, anything that was punk before punk was a thing is proto-punk, so the first punk album either has to be proto-punk by necessity or we’re talking about something else. Like, the the first album to be referred to as punk or the first band to refer to itself as punk are both very different from the first punk album.

Anyway, I respect your opinions and stuff, but I’m still going with WL/WH after years of careful consideration. Not only because of the song structure or attitudes or the gazillion punk bands that were influenced by it, but also because of the decisions made on the album with respect to presentation, mixing, mastering, etc. There was a deliberate effort on behalf of the musicians to unsettle and disquiet, both sonically and lyrically. There was corrosive quality to the music that dared people to listen to it, and even the chill moments are filled with really bizarre and risqué stories and themes.

WL/WH is the first album I can think of where a band with any amount of buzz or interest (however small) decided to do pretty much everything they could to piss off an alienate people. Title track alone is mixed like a spider drowning in cotton candy. Last track is 17 minutes of two-chord mayhem. ‘S’fucking punk, man.

Again, just my take.
Old 11.21.2017, 11:06 AM   #72
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I thought the first punk record was Louie Louie? hahahahahaha
Old 11.23.2017, 07:43 AM   #73
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

(It isn't the 1st punk album, obviously, but a lot of jazz from that era seemed to have more punk spirit than plenty of albums that are considered to be.)
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2017, 10:49 AM   #74
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

(It isn't the 1st punk album, obviously, but a lot of jazz from that era seemed to have more punk spirit than plenty of albums that are considered to be.)

For sure!
Old 01.27.2018, 07:54 PM   #75
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
more Cooley resurrections please

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2018, 09:24 PM   #76
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
It's the Ramones. If you think anything else, yr just a hipster. When the Ramones came out, that was the sound no doubt. That was the birth. That was the blueprint.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth