Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Rok`n`Röl Hall Of Syg
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.17.2014, 09:23 AM   #81
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
music industry was.racist.with a.more nefarious agenda of exploitation and denigration

Yeah fine. "The industry." But it's also racist to think that a white person must play this and black people must play that, and that if a black person plays "white" music they are a sell-out Uncle Tom and when a white person plays "black" music they are colonial rapists.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2014, 04:23 PM   #82
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Cramps is just great!!! Really donīt believe they will never be in Hall Of Fame (not even death of lux caused that).

Ah, yeah. The Cramps never get old, or lose their appeal. I truly doubt that they would ever make it into the HOF, but that's for the best because they don't belong there.

This brings us to one of the biggest philosophical problems with the R&RHOF: so many of the most influential artists in popular music history simply don't belong in the hall itself, either because they aren't "rock" by any stretch of the imagination, or because they so vehemently opposed the Rock N' Roll status quo that the artists themselves would rather be left out than inducted in.

Sonic Youth, for instance. They really were never a rock band. Their music is based on a deliberate deconstruction of traditional rock sounds. They certainly deserve to be acknowledged as one of the most musically innovative and culturally influential groups in music... But like so many other "fringe" acts, they have almost nothing to do with Rock n' Roll.

It would be like putting Allen Ginsberg next to Walt Whitman in some over-generalized "Poetry" exhibition. The two have zilch to do with one another, and it's unfair and lazy to lump them together.

This is why genre is an important and (dare I say essential) thing. When does it fucking end? When all the rock groups have been inducted, what's the HOF going to do? Start nominating Sunn O)))? The Boredoms? The Butthole Surfers?
There should truly be a separate category entirely for avant garde, experimental, and anti-establishment musicians... Or ANY musicians whose legacy would be marred by categorizing their music so fucking simply.

But then again, I am pretty biased. I think it's a little ethnocentric to induct Public Enemy or NWA into this crappy Cleveland tourist attraction for people who like Ted Nugent, or want their picture taken next to a cast of Robert Plant's cock.
Rap is an entirely separate entity. It deserves its own damn Hall of fame. It's just a fucking joke to lump it in with Rock when it's very existence stemmed from cultural and socioeconomic alienation from everything that the record industry, capitalism, and multi platinum ridiculously rich white "rock stars" stood for.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2014, 04:27 PM   #83
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
yep.

Here is what Lydon wrote when the HoF decided to allow the "lowlife" in

Old 10.17.2014, 04:31 PM   #84
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Yeah fine. "The industry." But it's also racist to think that a white person must play this and black people must play that, and that if a black person plays "white" music they are a sell-out Uncle Tom and when a white person plays "black" music they are colonial rapists.
And no one.is.suggesting there are race roles.to.be.locked into,rather.this.is about.celebrating the positives and embracing certain realities

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2014, 12:07 AM   #85
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
yep.

Here is what Lydon wrote when the HoF decided to allow the "lowlife" in

They made it like every real rock artist should made it. Even Waits itīs not "rock"-artist, I really wonder why he took that induction. Well maybe he just was interested at see that circus-ceremony.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2014, 03:36 PM   #86
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
They made it like every real rock artist should made it. Even Waits itīs not "rock"-artist, I really wonder why he took that induction. Well maybe he just was interested at see that circus-ceremony.

Yeah I don't get the Waits thing. I highly doubt that most living, breathing people could listen to Mule Variations from start to finish without losing their minds.

I remember when that record came out. My father bought it because of a Rolling Stone review he read... he was a fan of Heart of Satrday Night and found everything else totally repulsive prior to this. When he did buy the album, he listened to "Big in Japan" a couple times and then it gathered dust on his shelf until finally I just took it from him. I told him, of course, but he had to admit he didn't care. He just saw a "comeback" album from an old guy like him and thoight "well, this should be pleasant!" ... Then he basically faked liking it until it became a souvenir.

He did the same thing with Mirror Ball and Broken Arrow by Neil Young, and The Ghost of Tom Joad by Springsteen, and I still have all of them.

Waits was probably only inducted because Mule Variations caught him a Grammy nomination, and some industry heads thought it would be appropriate. But Waits is a crazy motherfucker, and his music has never really been appreciated by the mainstream. Like Beefheart, he's a cult anti-icon; not a rock star.
Old 10.19.2014, 12:43 AM   #87
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah I don't get the Waits thing. I highly doubt that most living, breathing people could listen to Mule Variations from start to finish without losing their minds.

I remember when that record came out. My father bought it because of a Rolling Stone review he read... he was a fan of Heart of Satrday Night and found everything else totally repulsive prior to this. When he did buy the album, he listened to "Big in Japan" a couple times and then it gathered dust on his shelf until finally I just took it from him. I told him, of course, but he had to admit he didn't care. He just saw a "comeback" album from an old guy like him and thoight "well, this should be pleasant!" ... Then he basically faked liking it until it became a souvenir.

He did the same thing with Mirror Ball and Broken Arrow by Neil Young, and The Ghost of Tom Joad by Springsteen, and I still have all of them.

Waits was probably only inducted because Mule Variations caught him a Grammy nomination, and some industry heads thought it would be appropriate. But Waits is a crazy motherfucker, and his music has never really been appreciated by the mainstream. Like Beefheart, he's a cult anti-icon; not a rock star.
Waits was inducted 2011, so I donīt think it has nothing to do with Mule Variations...maybe itīs just that they`ve had critic how conservative they are in their inductions, so they decided to pick Tom Waits that year...I think itīs same also in Dr. John & Alice Cooper...but because Captain Beefheart arenīt still there, itīs just shows how there are no idea in their choises.

Itīs quite the opposite story how I started Waits fan as your dadīs. Some friend told me how great & how bizarre Waits is (I think I had heard one of his songs years before and didnīt like it because I was just a kid then). Then I borrowed from other friend Closing Time and just thought "this is not really what I am seeking". But anyway I liked Closing time already then, maybe just because itīs so warm record. Anyway quite soon I bought Swordwishtrombones and then there was no way back...
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2017, 04:23 PM   #88
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Bon Jovi
Moody Blues
Dire Straits
The Cars

cringe.......

I fucking hate all that shit.
Old 12.13.2017, 05:37 PM   #89
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Worst year ever.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2017, 05:41 PM   #90
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Judas Priest were one of the top fan votes and way better than all of that.
Nina Simone?! Great, sure. Rock? No.
The whole thing is an obsolete Boomer exercise anyway.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2017, 09:44 PM   #91
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Worst year ever.

I’m not even very into Radiohead anymore, but seriously... HOW THE FUCK DO YOU BOT INDUCT RADIOHEAD?

They’re perhaps the only post-Nirvana rock-type-group that has been both good enough and popular enough to have it even make sense.

RHCP get in? Fucking GREEN DAY? But not Radiohead?

Fuck it.

And still no NIN, Cure, Joy Division, Kate Bush, etc.
Old 12.13.2018, 11:15 AM   #92
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I’m not even very into Radiohead anymore, but seriously... HOW THE FUCK DO YOU BOT INDUCT RADIOHEAD?

They’re perhaps the only post-Nirvana rock-type-group that has been both good enough and popular enough to have it even make sense.

RHCP get in? Fucking GREEN DAY? But not Radiohead?

Fuck it.

And still no NIN, Cure, Joy Division, Kate Bush, etc.

Kate Bush? Jesus fuck. May as well put in ENYA in the hall of fame.
Old 12.13.2018, 03:37 PM   #93
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Kate Bush? Jesus fuck. May as well put in ENYA in the hall of fame.

At least Radiohead and the Cure got in.
Old 12.13.2018, 03:41 PM   #94
Severian
invito al cielo

Radiohead simultaneously has no place in the Rock Hall and is perhaps the last rock band both popular and influential enough to warrant being in there.

You’d think after Nirvana, it would be Beck and Radiohead and then the Rock Hall would starve to death.
Old 04.30.2019, 10:23 AM   #95
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Watched the Rock Hall of Fame broadcast yesterday from the HBO.

As a show, it was pretty good. Stevie Nicks kicked out the jams hard from the get, bringing it big time.

The Cure were fucking great, rocked Shake Dog Shake so HARD, and it made me weepy to watch robert smith get weepy as Trent Reznor said wonderful things about the Cure. They were bad-ass.

The Zombies were fun, but it would have been amazing for them to have been inducted about ten years ago when the voices were still fucking clean and awesome. Little Stevie had been rooting for the Zombies for EVER.

I forwarded past radiohead, they did not perform, just two guys showed, and they were very adamant that their bandmates should have been there to experience it all cuz it was great. Oh well. Radiohead do not belong in the Hall of fame in my mind. Big deal.

I liked seeing Roxy Music's montage and intro, but frankly, I never got into that fucking shit. watching their early outfits was brutal.

Def Leppard were def leppard. pop machine. I must say though, Def Leppard were my favorite band from 1982-1985 when I was 9-11 years old. They were the first band I rocked to when I moved to USA from Puerto Rico. The def leppard Hysteria tour was the first concert I was dropped off at with a friend without my parents! (age 13, at the Summit in Houston TX). That was a cool show. Either way

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth