Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Early Sonic Youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.14.2010, 02:58 AM   #21
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I think, it is a little funny, that at least two people say from "Bad Moon" that it is dark, loud and scary. "Bad Moon" make me feel more positive than negative feelings (if thereīs is negative feelings, I think we people need all kind of feelings). I think "Bad Moon" is etheric, an album full of light. Of course there is kind of insanity and murder especially in lyrics, but thereīs lots of bright elements in music. I think itīs very different if you compare it to the first album, Confusion and Sonic Death. Maybe itīs not a milestone of Sonic Youth (I think), but is very meaningful album to me (I like also the cover, maybe itīs the best Sonic Youth cover). And Sonic Youth never made anything after that album, that is even near of it. I think 1st album, Confusion and Bad Moon are all very personal in Sonic Youth discography.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2010, 03:32 AM   #22
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
These three records are among the greatest rock music ever created.

Bad Moon Rising is my favorite album by anybody in any genre, Confusion is Sex is one of the most powerful artistic statements ever laid to tape, and the first record is a pristine document that actually reflects the melodic/dissonant things to come more than either of those albums.

While I get completely annoyed with the "Sonic Youth haven't done anything worthwhile since Daydream Nation" crowd, and completely love many of their records from the '90s and '00s, I have to admit to believing at heart that the earliest recordings were the greatest. It's just that nobody had ever made anything like Confusion or Bad Moon before they did. Certainly there was stuff like early Suicide or Pere Ubu that you can compare to them stylistically (and yeah they lifted some sounds from Branca and other no wave people), but those two albums are such original statements of music that had never been heard before. And it's damn brilliant enrapturing music too, pushing the limits of what electric guitars could do in rock music the most they'd been pushed at least since Hendrix well over a decade before.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2010, 06:48 AM   #23
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I donīt know, is here anybody else who thinks like me, but when I hear "the Eternal" first time, I was very excited and think: this is best record theyīve made!!! Of course the eighties records have something that the nineties and 2000 records donīt have (I think it has something to do with the young age of the artists). But I think Sonic Youth is band, that is not trying to be something they arenīt. You can hear, if the band tries to be younger than it is (you can hear that very well from "the Stooges" latest record. I like very much maturity, that is heard from Sonic Youth 90 and 2000 -records. Even they are mature, they definetily not are boring or have any kind of "dinosaur" -symptoms that many old bands have (for example U2).
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2010, 05:03 PM   #24
logicalharm
little trouble girl

logicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asses
Their early 80s stuff is so ugly, and brilliant. The self-titled, and Confusion to an extent are very primitive, in a good way! Bad Moon Rising has more of their identifiable, signature sound, but with almost no polish/restraint. The intro to Ghost Bitch is so badass.
logicalharm is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth