Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page opinions about the following bands?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.03.2008, 02:59 PM   #21
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
eat skull
ok band, not amazing though but worth listening to

abe vigoda
great band,great guys, most songs are pretty much the same though, make sure to hear the tracks: all night and day,gallop,the garden,skeleton

times new viking
cool band, i like them the song Skull Vs. Wizard is my favorite

no age
best band ever pretty much

women
not bad, cool local band, the record is ok, live they sound exactly like the album but a hundred times better(assuming the sound man isn't a moron of course)

vivian girls
kind of boring, but i would go see live

mika miko
rockin'
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 03:20 PM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
no age
best band ever pretty much

Funniest thing anyone's ever said on sy gossip. Repped.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 03:29 PM   #23
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
it's a fact sir! i believe the computer was invented for the eventual easy sharing of out of print no age eps, i'm not sure how the inventor knew no age would come about, but since he invented computers he probably knows lot's of things
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 03:31 PM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Hahahaha.

Old 12.03.2008, 03:39 PM   #25
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
1. eat skull-absolutley everything i could want in a siltbreeze signed lo-fi punk band. abrasive but tuneful, fuzzy but catchy, just a fantastic band. anyone who likes either punk, lo fi, or even noise can't deny this band is amazing.

2. pink reason-cleaning the mirror was 07's best album. a strung out depressed punk dude with inner poetic genius decided to strip himself of his band and makes minimal recordings of nothing but beautiful and varied instrumentation and truly vivid lyrical poetry. again, amazing.

3. abe vigoda-true grower of a band. i had first written them off thinking the whole "smell" scene would be done soon enough, but its hard to deny the perfection of thier guitar tones and grasp of melody in thier songs. they are the best songwriting punk band ive heard in a long time. almost like game theory or something, no matter if you like the music, you cant knock the tunes.

4. psychedelic horseshit-again, a band i really like. but then again, im a sucker for un-produced noisy pop music.

5.times new viking-boring as fuck

6. no age-decent but fucking boring and thier songs are very unmemorable for some reason, especially the newer record.

7. women-dont know

8. vivian girls-overrated

9. mika miko-trying to be like a wipers/black flag hybrid requires musicanship that these ladies have a long way to acquire, but definitley potential in the sound.

10. ponytail-this band easily could have become another borng ass melt banana hybrid, but instead cutsied up thier sound and made a great record.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 03:40 PM   #26
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Times new Viking is fucking rad. Caught them at the gypsy hut and smoked out the drummer and the chick. They're hometown is like, an hour away so we just talked and kicked it. pretty laid back. but i liked their music before I met them.

psychedelic horseshit is pretty good, but I wouldn't compare them to TNV. Even though TNV is loud as shit, they still have pop sensibilities. Psychedelic horseshit just hurts my ears but doesnt give anything back to them :-P

and tho I've heard of pink reason I havent heard their music. should get on that.

overall i'm a fan of the siltbreeze bands. I like the columbus scene alot.

EDIT: I just checked out the horseshit page, and they have changed alot since the last itme I heard them....they are definitely doing the pop noise thing now. shit, seems like everyone is.

thats why I slapped garage pop noise in front of my bands genre ;-)
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 03:41 PM   #27
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser

9. mika miko-trying to be like a wipers/black flag hybrid requires musicanship that these ladies have a long way to acquire, but definitley potential in the sound.

he he you sound like an A&R from Universal Corp. he he
Old 12.03.2008, 05:45 PM   #28
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Of all of the bands mentioned in this thread... the ONLY ones I even like (let alone love) are Sonic Youth, Unwound and Beefheart.

The rest I am either indifferent to (e.g. Smiths, Polvo) or have never heard of (pretty much everything else).
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 06:48 PM   #29
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I keep seeing those names (in the first post) everywhere, but I'm too unconcerned to even check out what they sound like. If only I had the energy I had three years back...

Since when finding out new music became a burden?
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 08:26 PM   #30
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
pink reason and eat skull are just miles ahead of ever other band mentioned.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 08:38 PM   #31
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
most of them are enjoyable, only seen two of them, Times New Viking were ok i guess, but then again they followed AIDS Wolf so that kinda clouded my perception (that and Chloe trying to throw me to the ground)

Mika Miko i thoroughly enjoy, their album was such a blast, very bouncy live show, i really want to see what they do next
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 08:51 PM   #32
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lechaoscestmoi
eat skull
pink reason
abe vigoda
psychedelic horseshit
times new viking
no age
women
vivian girls
mika miko
ponytail

good
excellent
good
excellent
very good
don't like
don't know
good
good
don't like
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 09:06 PM   #33
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
eat skull- dont know dont care
pink reason- dndc
abe vigoda- good.
psychedelic horseshit- hate the name. won't listen.
times new viking- like if the shitty guided by voices records and pavement during the westing era had a baby.
no age- YES YES YES
women- yes!
vivian girls- as long as they keep their mouths shut when not singing, it's ok stuff.
mika miko- meh.
ponytail- album of the year
Old 12.03.2008, 09:14 PM   #34
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
eat skull- good
pink reason- decent
abe vigoda- good
psychedelic horseshit- decent
times new viking- awfully boring. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz time to wake up and shit on thier record.
no age- good
women- haven't heard
vivian girls- i think everyone knows what i think about this band
mika miko- my second favorite band out of these
ponytail- haven't heard
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 09:26 PM   #35
dntrecords
children of satan

dntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's asses
all those bands hardly ever play or go to the smell. definitely not part of the scene anymore, they just tour a lot.

abe vigoda rule, they were especially rad about 5 years ago, they sounded a lot like black eyes
dntrecords is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 10:44 PM   #36
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Eat Skull - good, if you like them, check out Drunkdriver, Shearing Pinx (mindblowingly good), Mutators, Cheveu
Pink Reason - eh, they're not horrid
Abe Vigoda - they were good live
Psychedelic Horseshit - I haven't given them the time
TNV - got old really quick
No Age - boring
Women - excellent
Vivian Girls - eh, I prefer Crystal Stilts
Mika Miko - powerhouse, definitely room for growth
Ponytail - the best live act out of all of these, great album too, the singer IS capable of producing "pretty" tone, I hope she gets on that in the future
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 11:39 PM   #37
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

Testing: who here likes Unwound?
Fuckin' everyone, man.
Old 12.03.2008, 11:43 PM   #38
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Fuckin' everyone, man.

yeah i second that.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2008, 02:27 AM   #39
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechaoscestmoi
eat skull
pink reason
abe vigoda
psychedelic horseshit
times new viking
no age
women
vivian girls
mika miko
ponytail

1 - I like them but am not mad about this band.

2 - One of my absolute favourite. I have listened to his music almost every day this year.

3 - I like them.

4 - They are absolutely brilliant sometimes, other times not so much. I feel they will come up with one of those albums everyone wil go on about, at one point.

5 - Yes.

6- 2 or 3 songs I like, the rest is whatever.

7 - Yeah I love the record.

8 - I started a thread about them.

9 - I don't know them.

10 - Yawn.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2008, 03:00 AM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Drunkdriver, Shearing Pinx, Cheveu (never heard Mutators) are all great as well! Decayed knows his shit.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth