Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Connection betwen confusion is sex and nyc ghosts & flowers
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.24.2008, 05:02 AM   #21
tasteinmen
bad moon rising

tasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's asses
I've only just got NYC Ghosts & Flowers today, can anybody tell me if there are any b-sides/bonus (or songs that belong to this era) so i can track them down?
tasteinmen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2008, 05:10 AM   #22
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
mmm weirdest sonic albums related thread EVA
i know pretty much both albums by heart
and they do look diametrically opposed (no idea whether that makes sense but whatever)
i see CIS as the most radical and brutal SY release (contradict me if u dare) and NYCGF as the most "tame" release, almost minimalistic, or even concrete at times.

talk about trilogies for BMR +evol + sister for instance
or even Murray ST + Nurse that follow one another effortlessly in spite of their differences.

anyway
the weather's fine today
is there any coffee left?
Old 05.24.2008, 05:27 AM   #23
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
For me the only similarity is both albums kind of trail off at the last track. I feel both lightnin' and Lee is Free are kind of anti-climaxes. That said, NYC is for me the most varied of all SY albums, though its very short, you've got the farily straightforward pop/rock tunes Free City Rhymes and Renegade Princess, coupled with overtly experimental tracks which would be more at home on an SYR release. Though I prefer Confusion is Sex, you kind of know what your getting a bit more with that album. Very different, really...

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2008, 06:26 AM   #24
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
...may as well be just a result of verbal inability to express his thoughts in a more structured way - let us not forget mil_pl is not a native speaker and we all have our language limits (i know this feeling very well myself).

The topic starter is a Pole also.

Well, supposedly.

Isn't there some liability for boardies not proficient in English to make more of an effort to articulate and contribute? And especially if they are new members? And certainly if they are going to unilaterally bash Confusion is Sex? This is the Sonic Youth Fan Forum. It's not just any clubhouse, it's the official SY clubhouse. Where the fuck do they think they are? Who the fuck do they think they are?

Look, there's more than just a few arrogant, bright-eyed board members here whose heads quite frankly deserve to be figuratively smashed on the punk rock, as it were.

A blonde was telling a priest a Pollock joke, when halfway through the priest interrupts her with, "Don't you know I'm Polish?"
"Oh, I'm sorry," the blonde apologizes, "do you want me to start over and talk slower?"

It's a joke.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2008, 09:40 AM   #25
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
The topic starter is a Pole also.

Well, supposedly.

Isn't there some liability for boardies not proficient in English to make more of an effort to articulate and contribute? And especially if they are new members? And certainly if they are going to unilaterally bash Confusion is Sex? This is the Sonic Youth Fan Forum. It's not just any clubhouse, it's the official SY clubhouse. Where the fuck do they think they are? Who the fuck do they think they are?

I know what you're saying. Anyways, as much as you (and myself) love Confusion is Sex, you can't take away anyone's right to say it sucks, new nor regular posters.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2008, 10:10 AM   #26
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Of course I can't. But I can express my opinion as well, right? None of us can sanely expect life to conform to our expectations.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2008, 10:28 AM   #27
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
confusion is sex is an awful album.. full of crap false notes and only bought by hipsters..... nyc g&f is art wankery at the highest.. they never started writing songs until dirty... drunken butterfly is their greatest song... and reena....

long live the sonic youths and 100% of my love forever.......

take your syr shit and stick it in the crack of your ass that the chin strokers dwell, give me hardcore riffing anyday!!!

ha! excellent thread...... atari is a star!
Old 05.27.2008, 06:54 PM   #28
evolontko
little trouble girl

evolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's assesevolontko kicks all y'all's asses
ok i want u all to tell me which sonic album u've heard as the first one ? cause i have a teory why people dont like erly sonic and love last 2 or 3 albums
Old 05.28.2008, 09:50 AM   #29
deadrockstar
little trouble girl

deadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's asses
first i heard ejtans, also my fav. then i started on with the early stuff, which is awesome. then their stuff from thousand leaves onwards (stuff i was actually around to buy as and when they were released) all the while peppering my collection with the middle ground stuff (sister to washing machine).

i don't know, it's all really fucking good. initially the stuff i was disappointed with - thousand leaves, murray street and rather ripped.

as for the connection between NYCGaF (that almost looks like a sonic youth tuning) and CiS - yes, yes yes!! i understand where you are coming from, although i'd probably liken to more to BMR (same era, anyway).

NYCGaF is cleaner, better produced etc. but definitely has some very eerie moments reminiscent of their early period. i think the main difference is hinted at in the title - New York City. CiS and BMR are definitely isolated, country horror in my mind, NYCGaF reminds me of the same themes but in a big fuck-off city. it's digital-sounding, structured and mechanical - the early stuff is organic and wires straight into your brain.

two different types of isolation (in different environments); for me that is the recurring theme.
deadrockstar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 01:53 PM   #30
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
If you hear my recording from Bumbershoot '99, where they debuted the entire album instrumentally to a giant football stadium full of people, you'll hear exactly why I agree with this dude. Well, I would, if the finished album sounded ANYTHING like my awesome tape from the front row, but unfortunately they took it in an entirely different direction in the studio. Well, I shouldn't say "unfortunately", but it took a long time to accept that album compared to the expectations I had off of that tape...

I stopped listening to early live versions of new songs after that.

Wow, at a football stadium? How did the crowd respond?
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2008, 08:01 PM   #31
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
not sure, they were all behind me! probably about the same way they responded when they played 'a thousand leaves' instrumentally 2 years earlier. they were kind enough to bless the crowd w/ a 'real' set on the murray street tour, which incidentally is my least favorite of their bumbershoot appearances.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth