Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page top 5 "seminal bands" you despise
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.13.2008, 01:01 AM   #241
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah.. I mean, of the hundred plus people i've associated with, only about 3 dont' know who they are. I'm sure some random redneck guy has never heard them, but... I'd say a good 35% of the united states has at least HEARD OF the pixies..

yeah i live in an area full of rednecks. i'm sure where i'm moving to about 99.9999999999999 percent of people know of them.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2008, 01:03 AM   #242
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
in brooklyn?

yeah everyone knows who the pixies are in, like, williamsburg.
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2008, 04:21 AM   #243
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah.. I mean, of the hundred plus people i've associated with, only about 3 dont' know who they are. I'm sure some random redneck guy has never heard them, but... I'd say a good 35% of the united states has at least HEARD OF the pixies..

have you ever left the town you grew up in?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2008, 04:25 AM   #244
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
you sound like such a music journalist.
but all the time.
pompous ass and stuff.
Old 06.13.2008, 04:28 AM   #245
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Uh... yeah. I've left this town. A quarter of the year, I'm elsewhere.

If I sound like a music journalist, it's only because we're on a music message board and I'm actually USUALLY informed about shit and don't just ramble off on any one subject until I've actually sat and thought about it... I'm hardly a critic, because I couldn't give a fuck less what people listen to, but I definitely know what I'm talking about. Usually. Not sure what's wrong with that, unless it just intimidates people or something. It certainly doesn't bother most people.

Back to my original point: the Pixies have been namedropped by Nirvana and covered by Weezer.. not even counting anything else, right there that's MILLIONS of people who have heard of the Pixies if not heard them. Not to mention the MILLIONS of different people who have seen the closing credits of Fight Club.

To say "the pixies, they ain't well known I only know 3 people dat know 'em!" (paraphrased, of course) is just ridiculous. I'm simply pointing that out. But I'm sure he was being honest in his reply, so the discovery of a town where not a single person has even heard of the Pixies has blown my mind a bit. They're a pretty huge band!!!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2008, 04:31 AM   #246
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

blah blah blah

really you do belong in a cubicle at rolling stone.
Old 06.13.2008, 04:38 AM   #247
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I have never agreed with almost anything rolling stone has written, so what you said made absolutely no sense.

Once again, me knowing what the fuck I'm talking about is apparently a crime. "He's informed -- fuck him! What an asshole with all that knowledge and shit!" I don't think I'm better than anyone here, and I've uploaded tons of albums for people to enjoy and turned tons of people onto great bands. So, what's the big deal?

Old 06.13.2008, 04:39 AM   #248
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I have never agreed with almost anything rolling stone has written, so what you said made absolutely no sense.

She's not talking about the content of what you post, she's talking about your style. All rhetoric and hyperbole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2008, 04:41 AM   #249
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

ooooookay mr intellectual (not you glice but THANK YOU, you said what i meant to say in fewer words)

you could be at rolling stone or blender or spin or any other fucking magazine because all journos are the same and they all spout off the same 40 words in every review (albeit rearranged occasionally) and none of them have ever had an original idea in their lives. rehash rehash rehash.
Old 06.13.2008, 04:42 AM   #250
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah.. Glice, I knew what she meant; I edited the post to address what she actually meant... anywho, I don't think it's rheotoric and hyperbole, it's knowledge and information!

Anyway, I don't recall writing any 40 word reviews that are exactly like everyone else's reviews. And I can't really comment on any of those magazines you mentioned... though I highly doubt my taste reflects theirs at all. So, again, what the hell are you talking about? Is it a crime in the information age to actually be, y'know, informed? When everything you ever wanted to know is a click away? I wholeheartedly apologize for knowing what I'm talking about, I guess I'll post some more threads about chick's asses and how stoned I am real quick!!

There are people on here who are more knowledgable than I am on shit, and I listen to them when they have something to say. I don't act jealous of them and say "alright mr intelligence you're so intelligent FUCK YOU asshole!" just to get a non-argument started.

This board is a fucking joke sometimes.

Old 06.13.2008, 04:42 AM   #251
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Once again, me knowing what the fuck I'm talking about is apparently a crime. "He's informed -- fuck him! What an asshole with all that knowledge and shit!"

And the problem with this is that the majority of people simply don't care about music. The fact that you live somewhere where people are receptive to music, and as such have heard of the Pixies is probably a fact; it's also a fact that very few people, outside of the rock-curious, have heard of the Pixies. My Mum likes them because I played them to her; she's almost certainly the exception in her age-bracket, and there are a lot of over-50s in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2008, 04:44 AM   #252
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah.. I knew what she meant; I edited the post to address what she actually meant... anywho, I don't think it's rheotoric and hyperbole, it's knowledge and information!
i still don't give a shit.
knowledge? ethics? theories? principles? who influenced who? fuck it all. it's pointless.

if the music actually sounds GOOD on the other hand....
Old 06.13.2008, 04:45 AM   #253
sarramkrop

Truth be told, I find some stuff written on this board to be a pack of lies, occasionally, wether it's of a musical nature or not. It's not that important, though.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2008, 04:46 AM   #254
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i still don't give a shit.
knowledge? ethics? theories? principles? who influenced who? fuck it all. it's pointless.

if the music actually sounds GOOD on the other hand....

You'd make a better point if you stopped swearing all the FUCKING time, though.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2008, 04:47 AM   #255
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
You'd make a better point if you stopped swearing all the FUCKING time, though.
i'm fucking sorry, but it's just how i fucking talk because i was fucking raised in a fucking environment where people fucking said FUCK all the fucking time.
Old 06.13.2008, 04:48 AM   #256
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Neutral Milk Hotel, Jane's Addiction, The Cure.

Only three I can think of right now. Though I respect that these bands have contributed to Rock or whatever, I really can't stand listening to them.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2008, 04:49 AM   #257
sarramkrop

Well well, fucking saying fuck all the fucking time might conceal the fucking fact that you're not fucking saying anything fucking interesting. Fuck?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2008, 04:49 AM   #258
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Neutral Milk Hotel, Jane's Addiction, The Cure.

Only three I can think of right now. Though I respect that these bands have contributed to Rock or whatever, I really can't stand listening to them.

Fuck off.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2008, 04:49 AM   #259
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

neutral milk hotel are so annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Well well, fucking say fuck all the fucking time might conceal the fucking fact that you're not fucking saying anything fucking interesting. Fuck?

i know i'm not FUCKING saying anything FUCKING interesting, i'm just trying to FUCKING make whatever FUCKING point i have to FUCKING make, and i don't FUCKING care so please FUCK off.
Old 06.13.2008, 04:52 AM   #260
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Right, Glice, I am influenced by my surroundings and I can't really respond to things any other way since I haven't been everywhere in the world and individually interviewed every single person to find out if they know who the Pixies are. You make a good point...

However, even the non-rock-curious have seen Fight Club and have heard "Where is My Mind?" playing. To me, that means that, yes, TONS of people have heard the Pixies... I mean, not everyone knows A Flock of Seagulls, but we'd all agree that they were a pretty huge band, right? Everyone's heard "I Ran".

But as far as me in my home town, almost everyone I can think of actually owns or has downloaded Pixies CD's. I can't speak for the entire United States though... which I never intended to do. It just shocks me that there still exists towns where no one is into music at all, when my small NOTHING town seems to enjoy a wide variety of shit.

101112 13 1415 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth