Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.12.2017, 09:31 AM   #48721
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
my recollection of the events you are describing involve THE RED album, not the white album. So you sure bruh?
Old 05.12.2017, 09:32 AM   #48722
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
also - if you disagree with louder's opinion of an album, just wait 9 months. He always changes his mind.
Old 05.12.2017, 09:39 AM   #48723
noisereductions
invito al cielo

sev, here's me telling you to listen to the white album, then you listened to red album, and I told you "no you should listen to white album" -

http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showpos...ostcount=49321

-so yeah, I ask again: "you never listened to white album from last year huh? It's their strongest in years."
Old 05.12.2017, 09:45 AM   #48724
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I didn't think you were being a dick. I got what you meant. "Why be a music nerd if you're going to just like what everyone else says is good?" right? And I agree. Whatever. I like stuff you don't. You like stuff I don't. It really doesn't matter.

To be clear. I don't think you actually like anything that I actively dislike. I don't like the Pumpkins, but I don't actively hate the idea of their existence. I was a teen in the late '90s after all, and they felt important then.
** Plus, they made some undeniably good alt rock songs back in the early-mid '90s.
Weezer is another one I don't actively hate. I mean, shit dog, I'm exactly old enough to have experience maximum Weezer impact. Blue came out and was my soindtrack for awkward girl encounters, then a few years later I had matured just enough to appreciate the flippant and manic-depressive oddballness of Pinkerton. Those albums, for a while, felt as vital to the American indie/alt rock scene as Pavement's first two. Of course, I was older and smart enough to be *mostly* disappointed when the Green album came out, but I still caught them in concert that year and continued to buy their albums until... well... the next one, at which point I stopped buying Weezer albums forever. Who needed Maladroit in 2001? Those were Kid A/mesiac days, and I fancied myself far too sophisticated for a band that had turned into the aural equivalent of a "Revenge of the Nerds" movie.

And Pearl Jam? Man. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest. I was lucky enough to experience some of the benefits of the seattle sound explosion in real time (seeing Nirvana, thank the good lord, even if I was too young to remember much about it, catching Mudhoney for free at Pain in the Grass, etc.), so I will always be at least a part-time Pearl Jam fan. I waited in line for Vs. I saw them perform on a tour that recently made Rolling Stone's list of the 50 best concerts of the last 50 years. I don't think they've released anything of any consequence in quite a while, but Binaural had some flickers of hope. "God's Dice" was a banger and good live. I forget what else is on there, but this was the album where my interest began to wane.
Anyway, PJ has good songs and a few truly great ones speckled throughout their too-long career, and I'll always have a place in my heart for everything after TEN and before Riot Act. Vitalolgy is an underestimated album in '90s rock history. It was not as massive culturally as VS or Ten, but it was still HUGE. Their last truly HUGE album. And it predicted the return of vinyl. And it had some really interesting and bizarre tracks with a sound that I wish the band had toyed with more ("Tremor Christ," "Last Exit," "Spin the black Circle," "Not for You," .... but mostly "Tremor Christ," because that song just rocks like a White Album Beatles joint. Kicks the shit out of "Black Hole Sun," that's for sure).
Aaaaannnyway, I don't remember Binaural being a big commercial success. It sold less than Yield, which sold less than No Code, which sold less than Vitalogy, which sold less than Vs, which sold less than Ten. I remember reviewing largely tepid/so-so reviews of it. "Nothing as it seems" was a weird lead single. So slow. So I'm not sure where you're getting your intel on that, but whatever dog.

Point is, you like some bands that I may not like, but it's not like you're into shit that I hate. And even if you were, it wouldn't matter because you are a cool dude.

** I still think a lot of the Pumpkins' singles had some serious firepower, and I voted for "1979" as the class song for my high school graduating class... it got some votes, and made it into the top 3 or whatever, but mostly it just puzzled people who insisted that, because it wasn't 1979, the song didn't make sense (idiots), but I voted for it because it was HUGE across cliques and classes when we first made the jump to high school form junior high, and, not only that, but it's a song about nostalgia, so.. yeah. I forget what won, but it wasn't that song. And I was *really* stoned during the ceremony, so if someone performed whatever song was chosen, my memories of it are blurred.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2017, 09:52 AM   #48725
noisereductions
invito al cielo

thank for that post. Sheds a lot of light. And, I'm quite jealous that you saw Nirvana. Wow.

Weezer... I saw them on tour for Green album before it actually came out. I remember the excitement of a new song being played live ("Island In The Sun"). So I have a super soft spot for that album honestly.

Now Maladroit - whoo what a weird album. See, I actually think it works quite nice juxtaposed against something like Amnesiac (which is my fav Radiohead album). One year and two vastly different records by two favorite and long-standing bands. I mean go back and listen to Maladroit. What a fucking weird mess of an album. It's like... stoner rock pop. Honestly, Maladroit is an album that gets better to me with time. I remember getting super into it again in 2007, and now again.

As a side note, is it weird that I think I like No Code more than Vitalogy?
Old 05.12.2017, 10:58 AM   #48726
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
sev, here's me telling you to listen to the white album, then you listened to red album, and I told you "no you should listen to white album" -

http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showpos...ostcount=49321

-so yeah, I ask again: "you never listened to white album from last year huh? It's their strongest in years."

Oh yah it was for sure the Red Album.

But I did listen to a single from the White one after you talked about it. I think I shut that shit off pretty quick.
Old 05.12.2017, 10:59 AM   #48727
noisereductions
invito al cielo

lol
Old 05.12.2017, 11:05 AM   #48728
noisereductions
invito al cielo

well, if you ever get bored I'd suggest "Thank God For Girls," "Do You Wanna Get High" and "Jacked Up" of great examples of why I still love new Weezer albums.
Old 05.12.2017, 11:07 AM   #48729
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
thank for that post. Sheds a lot of light. And, I'm quite jealous that you saw Nirvana. Wow.

Weezer... I saw them on tour for Green album before it actually came out. I remember the excitement of a new song being played live ("Island In The Sun"). So I have a super soft spot for that album honestly.

Now Maladroit - whoo what a weird album. See, I actually think it works quite nice juxtaposed against something like Amnesiac (which is my fav Radiohead album). One year and two vastly different records by two favorite and long-standing bands. I mean go back and listen to Maladroit. What a fucking weird mess of an album. It's like... stoner rock pop. Honestly, Maladroit is an album that gets better to me with time. I remember getting super into it again in 2007, and now again.

As a side note, is it weird that I think I like No Code more than Vitalogy?

Dont be jealous that I saw Nirvana. I was tagging along with family, and I was young. It was in ... '93? ... and I remember so little that it's actually kind of a curse. I was a fan to the extent that I could be a fan at such a young age, but I only have glimpses in my head that are warped by time. Trying to hang on to them is incredibly frustrating, because shit just slips away, so I usually don't even mention it. Same thing happened when I saw Jerry Garcia with the Dead in '95. I remember so little that I don't feel like I even deserve to claim it as a life experience.

Though maybe I've just done too many drugs in my life, because it's not like I was 5 at the time. Hmmm...
Old 05.12.2017, 01:22 PM   #48730
noisereductions
invito al cielo

it's so easy to cite Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie as these essential albums of the 90's. And they are. But F... back when I was in high school, Pisces Iscariot was the far easier answer to the question "why do I love SP?" I should note that I've long considered that the best way to hear what a band REALLY sounds like is thru a b-sides collection. The tracks here range from pretty to rockingggg. But there's something... less epic, or more humble. And sure that could all be formulated. The tossed off photos. The typos in the liners. The way that these b-sides just feel less produced. But I don't know. This to me is just such a fantastic album, and certainly one of its time.
Old 05.12.2017, 04:46 PM   #48731
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses

Do they make 'em like this anymore? Probably yes. But kinda not. Examples:

"Come Calling (His Song)"

"Come Calling (Her Song)" — the Low-esque version of the above.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2017, 11:39 PM   #48732
noisereductions
invito al cielo

@sev: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJNRymZmcfY
Old 05.13.2017, 10:43 AM   #48733
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Watched that.

I don't get that guy, like, 90% of the time. He likes Kanye but doesn't like MBDTF or Yeezus (and he likes 808s but thinks "RoboCop" is meaningless filler?) He likes Swans but thinks The Seer was the worst thing they've done since reuniting. He (apparently) listens to records by Six Feet Under and Corey Feldman (??) enough to have strong opinions about them.

He doesn't seem to see the world trough the same lens that I do. Even when I'm agreeing with him I'm scratching my head at his reasoning.
Old 05.13.2017, 10:51 AM   #48734
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Watched that.

I don't get that guy, like, 90% of the time. He likes Kanye but doesn't like MBDTF or Yeezus (and he likes 808s but thinks "RoboCop" is meaningless filler?) He likes Swans but thinks The Seer was the worst thing they've done since reuniting. He (apparently) listens to records by Six Feet Under and Corey Feldman (??) enough to have strong opinions about them.

He doesn't seem to see the world trough the same lens that I do. Even when I'm agreeing with him I'm scratching my head at his reasoning.

That's cos it is

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2017, 01:29 PM   #48735
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
That's cos it is

THE FUCK YOU SAY!

It's the best song on the album. Legitimately the most sonically interesting in my not-at-all-humble-opinion. Also, it's a welcome bit of fresh spring breeze on an otherwise cold and frigid album. It makes me laugh, and the change-up at the end is just delightful. Seriously.

I dot dislike anything on 808s & Hearbreak ("Pinocchio Story" sucks a bit but it's not a proper track), but "RoboCop" is the song that really hits me the hardest every time I listen to the album straight through. Without it, the album would be significantly less awesome.

You crazy playa
Old 05.13.2017, 04:04 PM   #48736
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
THE FUCK YOU SAY!

It's the best song on the album. Legitimately the most sonically interesting in my not-at-all-humble-opinion. Also, it's a welcome bit of fresh spring breeze on an otherwise cold and frigid album. It makes me laugh, and the change-up at the end is just delightful. Seriously.

I dot dislike anything on 808s & Hearbreak ("Pinocchio Story" sucks a bit but it's not a proper track), but "RoboCop" is the song that really hits me the hardest every time I listen to the album straight through. Without it, the album would be significantly less awesome.

You crazy playa

The best song? Mental.

Ranked-

1. Say You Will
2. Welcome To Heartbreak
3. Heartless
4. Amazing
5. Love Lockdown
6. Coldest winter
7.Robocop
8. Street Lights
9. Bad News
10. See You In My Nightmares
11. Paranoid
12. Pinocchio Story

Seriously, the first half is amazing, second half I can easily leave as it only gets worse. Except for the nadir that is Paranoid.

Old 05.13.2017, 04:05 PM   #48737
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

I will say that on Love Lockdown when he does the distortion on the vocals when he says #system overload# makes me cream ever time. Up there in my top five moments Kanye did.

Old 05.13.2017, 06:56 PM   #48738
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
The best song? Mental.

Ranked-

1. Say You Will
2. Welcome To Heartbreak
3. Heartless
4. Amazing
5. Love Lockdown
6. Coldest winter
7.Robocop
8. Street Lights
9. Bad News
10. See You In My Nightmares
11. Paranoid
12. Pinocchio Story

Seriously, the first half is amazing, second half I can easily leave as it only gets worse. Except for the nadir that is Paranoid.

Ah man, you don't get it. "RoboCop" and "Paranoid" are necessary to the flow of the album. You start off heavy, with "Say You Will," and "Welcome to Heartbrak," then things get a bit upbeat with "Heartless," (but not really, 'cause it about sadface), then shit gets fucking serious with "Amazing" and "Love Lockdown." Those are the stone-cold-stunners, musically; grab your balls and grip them, force you to focus.

"Paranoid" and "RoboCop" are the lighthearted centerpiece that the listener needs before the turbulence returns. I used to hate "Paranoid" too, but I always think of "The Noid" from those '80s Domino's commercials at the beginning, and the studio sounds and laughter really make for a nice atmosphere. I can't help but smile at that shit.

"RoboCop" is the tails to "Paranoid's" heads. On one hand it has the harshest instrumentals on the album, and one the other hand it literally contains the opposite — the most colorful flourishes. Somehow it manages to sound upbeat *for real* (not just on the surface like "Heartless," which is a brilliant song). And it's there to make you giggle. Yes, it's a bit shallow, but that "You're killing me, that was a good one.. you're first good one in a while" is the kind of line that only Kanye could make charming. It's fucking demeaning as hell, but wow, it makes me laugh and smile and sing along.

"Paranoid" is nowhere near the top of the heap, but it's good.

"RoboCop" makes the album.
Old 05.13.2017, 08:07 PM   #48739
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I will say that on Love Lockdown when he does the distortion on the vocals when he says #system overload# makes me cream ever time. Up there in my top five moments Kanye did.

You don't need to say that. It's an awesome moment. #FACTS

I feel the same way (top 5-wise) about the climax and release of "RoboCop." It's up there with the interlude on "Gone," and the intro of "Good Morning," and the "Brad Pitt" verse on "Bound 2."
Old 05.13.2017, 10:46 PM   #48740
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Amazing and Nightmares are my fav on 808.
1937233723872427243424352436 2437 243824392440244724872537 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth