Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Elf Power - Back to the Web (their Rykodisc debut!)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.25.2006, 04:38 PM   #1
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
http://rykodisc.com/Catalog/dump/rykoalbums_1719.asp
On April 25, Elf Power return with their Rykodisc debut, Back to the Web, a haunting, twisting journey weaving its way through heavy psychedelic haze, to soulful, melodic folk, to stomping T Rex-styled rock. Back to the Web is full of the band’s signature, lovely pop melodies, but a distinct progression is evident in the songwriting and the lush, full production. The folkier tunes are laced with strings and the heavier ones scream psychedelia; influences of Bob Dylan and Wall-era Pink Floyd can be detected. Singer/songwriter Andrew Rieger comments, "I was listening to a lot of middle eastern folk and gypsy music when I started writing these songs and I tried to emulate some of those sounds by combining 12 string acoustic guitar with violin and accordion. Our last album was more of a straight ahead rock record, so in reaction this one came out as more of a dark, orchestrated folk rock album."
Formed in Athens, GA in 1994, Elf Power was spawned from the legendary Elephant 6 collective that also produced Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk Hotel, Of Montreal and Apples In Stereo. The band has spent the past twelve years making albums and touring the globe, sharing bills with the likes of R.E.M., Dinosaur Jr., Wilco and Guided By Voices.

Some free and legal Elf Power music downloads:
"An Old Familiar Scene" from Back to the Web
"Evil Eye" [mp3] from Walking With the Beggar Boys
"Never Believe" [mp3] from Walking With the Beggar Boys
"The Winter Is Coming" from The Winter Is Coming
2001-02-03, Ann Arbor
^ "The People Underneath"
2000-10-22, KVRX

April 25, 2006

Since its inception, Elf Power has been one of my favorite powerpop bands. They always put on an explosive live show and have a social conscience to match their musical chops.

When asked the time-worn question, "what good books have you read lately?" in his own words, here is Andrew Rieger's reply:

1. The Mole People Jennifer Toth (Non-Fiction)
An in-depth look into the lives of the people living in the tunnels beneath New York City's subway system. Some of these folks are loner drug addicts living in makeshift huts in total isolation,while others have made functional communities with rows of shanties, running water, and electricity, housing hundreds of people. A fascinating and heartbreaking read. Inspired the Elf Power song "The People Underneath" from our album "The Winter is Coming."
2. The Road to Los Angeles John Fante (Fiction)
One of my all time favorites, The Road to Los Angeles is the hilarious tale of Arturo Bandini, the pigheaded young man working low paying menial jobs, while dreaming of becoming the great writer he knows he's destined to be. His profanity laced diatribes against his co workers and family are truly brilliant, and despite his arrogance, you find yourself loving the little guy.
3. Crazy From the Heat David Lee Roth (Non-Fiction)
David Lee Roth's stoned, meandering memoir is an endearing head scratcher. His ridiculous antics are laid out in intricate detail. A favorite scene finds Van Halen playing a huge outdoor festival in California with over 100,000 in attendance. A plane flies overhead, and the announcer tells the crowd, "Van Halen are sky diving into the stadium!" Professional sky divers wearing long haired wigs sky dive into a field right next to the stage in plain view of the crowd. They get into a van, in which the real Van Halen has been sitting the whole time wearing identical sky diving jumpsuits. The van drives up to the stage and Van Halen gets out and runs onstage, having just pretended to sky dive into the stadium! The crowd goes berserk! Genius!
4. The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Phillip K. Dick (Fiction)
The dense, confusing but wonderful story of a futuristic world where off world colonists entertain themselves by combining hallucinogenic drugs and robotic sex toys to enter strange new realities! Apparently, John Lennon and Yoko Ono were planning on making this into a movie right before John was killed!
5. A Father's Story Lionel Dahmer (Non-Fiction)
Jeffrey Dahmer's father describes Jeffrey's childhood. Lionel chooses to leave out the gory details of the murders, instead focusing on Jeffrey's early family life and development. A very candid and interesting version of these morbid events. Lionel reveals Jeffrey's mother Joyce's dependence on heavy painkillers during pregnancy, at which time she thought she was being followed by UFO's and had recurring dreams of being savagely killed by a giant black bear. A very intriguing read.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2006, 05:28 PM   #2
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Have you heard it? Nice Basquiat avatar thing by the way.
Old 04.25.2006, 05:38 PM   #3
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
no, not yet...getting it very soon though...just trying to help with the promotion...it just came out today & there was no talk of an advance copy between Andrew & myself...He takes a laptop with him on the road when he's not in Athens & I'd like to get him to post here at this forum & have told him about the kinds of things we write about here (sometimes)....but it looks like the above is as close as you guys are gonna get most likely. I'll probably go buy the cd this Saturday & then I can write a review. So far (as figured) there's not too much interest though in this topic. Thanks for the reply, krastian.
Old 04.25.2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
We've had it in rotation on our station here at school, it's good stuff!
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 01:53 PM   #5
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Haunted by Three Ghosts, May 19, 2006
Reviewer:Wendell Chancellor (Utah) - See all my reviews

Three ghosts haunt Elf Power's "Back to the Web"

The first is the ghost of sixties exotic psychedelia. It conjures up that time when the gods inspired heroic mortals to make epic journeys to the east. These heroes brought back with them unfamiliar tunings, new instruments, and complex polyrhythms and time signatures. George led the Beatles to India ("Within You and Without You"). Led Zeppelin traveled to Morocco ("Immigrant Song," "Tangerine"). The Rolling Stones recorded "Paint It Black." They inspired everyone from Donovan to the Hollies. This ghost gives "Back to the Web" its edge.

The second is ghost of Pet Sounds Brian Wilson--sweetness and sonic experimentation.

Over it all hovers the ghost of Elephant 6--the now-dead collective that made music like it was 1969 (only way, way cooler). Their music is easily categorized as lo-fi, Brian Wilson, experimental, psychedelic, sixties, ambient, folk, noise, singing-saw pop. If you don't know what I mean, pick up "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel or "Black Foliage" by the Olivia Tremor Control.

Now that E6 is dead, who carries the Elephant 6 banner? After listening to "Back to the Web", I believe that Elf Power is the true heir. First, the line-up has enough first-tier E6ers to secure its bloodline. Second, with this CD, Elf Power has the depth, complexity, generosity, and experimentation that characterized the best of the Elephant 6 classics. This ain't no Bird-with-the-Candy-Bar-Head Elf Power (I loved that Elf Power too); this is a deeper, more durable Elf Power--and band with more to say.

Those three ghosts (exotic sixties psychedelia, Pet Sounds, and Elephant 6) explain most of the success of "Back to the Web," but not all of it. Another key element is that Elf Power is (and always has been) a drums and percussion-driven band. (This distinguishes them from the rest of E6.) When you buy "Back to the Web," listen to the drums. They are mixed to the front of most tracks, creating a driving foundation for whatever is laid in on top.

Elephant 6 is dead. Long live Elf Power.
Old 06.18.2006, 02:06 PM   #6
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
No shit, 5 stars eh?
Old 06.18.2006, 03:08 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
What a boring crap bad.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 03:22 PM   #8
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
4. The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Phillip K. Dick (Fiction)
The dense, confusing but wonderful story of a futuristic world where off world colonists entertain themselves by combining hallucinogenic drugs and robotic sex toys to enter strange new realities! Apparently, John Lennon and Yoko Ono were planning on making this into a movie right before John was killed!

Any reason you made the title more bold than the others apart from the fact that it's a fucking fantastic book? I can't imagine a film version of it...especially if John and Yoko were going to do more than just throw some cash at it.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2006, 12:15 PM   #9
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
the elf power album is great. totally lovely hour of listening pleasure. i thoroghly recommend it to anyone who has ever spoken a word with a vowel in it!

Old 06.19.2006, 12:20 PM   #10
atari 2600
invito al cielo

It's cool to see people digging it.

I liked Walking WIth the Beggar Boys (their last release) more, although I like the new one too. I really haven't given it a proper listening yet & that's why I haven't written my own review. I really enjoyed the Amazon customer review, thus the reprint.

My favorite Elf Power is The Winter is Coming.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth