Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page london
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.08.2008, 06:29 PM   #41
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Yes
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2008, 06:31 PM   #42
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Sorted.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2008, 06:32 PM   #43
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
I'm glad.
Old 06.08.2008, 07:05 PM   #44
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
one of the things that is shit about london is that you find yourself (or at least i find this) constantly having to find new friends because a lot of people who live in london aren't from london and so at some point tend to return to wherever it is they came from.

tis what i found when i worked on the London Eye, and Sonic Youth were playing Brixton on the Nurse tour one night and i couldnt find someone to cover me.
Transitional Londoners are spazzers.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2008, 07:48 PM   #45
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
one of the things that is shit about london is that you find yourself (or at least i find this) constantly having to find new friends because a lot of people who live in london aren't from london and so at some point tend to return to wherever it is they came from.

You also get the problem of people not being arsed to travel from fucking Finchley to somewhere faintly central when I've travelled from the other side of the world, the useless, Londoned fuckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2008, 07:59 PM   #46
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
London's OK but it gets too much attention. So many people want to either praise it to the hilt, or totally slag it off. It's a bastard in lots of ways, but it keeps your interest enough to suffer its stupid rents, mammoth size, crap transport and hordes of transients. If I could find work abroad I'd leave in a heartbeat, but that's just because I'm bored with England rather than London.

I met Pam Hogg today. By the way.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2008, 09:28 PM   #47
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i called my friend and i'm waiting for her to get here. i told her i wanted to go on an adventure in the night around london so that's what we're going to do because i've never wandered around here at night before, only in manhattan and ireland.

what i'm really excited for though is a night time adventure through suburban america. it's been a very very long time since i've had one of those.
Old 06.09.2008, 03:24 AM   #48
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I met Pam Hogg today. By the way.

Is that "fashion designer who's allegedly more than just a friend of Siouxsie Sioux" Pam Hogg? Well I never, small world, innit?
Old 06.09.2008, 04:35 AM   #49
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Romany is one type of gypsy.

Are you sure about that? The only type of Gypsies I know are Romany (with the exception of "Olas" Gypsies, who are, basically, lighter-skinned Gypsies - a mixture of a white man and a Gypsy).

Anyway, I was puzzled when I saw "Snatch" and they had this group of people referring to as "Gypsies" or "Pikeys" - those ones living in caravans and stuff. They looked nothing like Gypsies. Actually, this is how a Romany Gypsy family looks like:

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 05:13 AM   #50
sarramkrop

One thing that I like about London these days for sure is that I can get lost into it on a completely personal level, nothing to do with any type of lifestyle or anything.

I agree with demonrail666 that you never get a balance when people write or talk about it. It's a big city with all its problems etc, but it's not exactly inhabited only by monsters, unscrupulous people etc. I have never read anything that describes it with precision, probably because it's impossible to do that.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 06:45 AM   #51
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I absolutely agree about finding your own personal London, and it's for that which I love it most of all. It lends itself to a certain personal anonymity that for some makes it 'cold' but for me makes it quite liberating. I love the fact that I can share the city with people I'll likely never meet or even see.

I've always thought that the best writers on the city have been those that've managed to capture its duality of 'the crowd' and 'the individual', where you are able to find privacy not in spite of its hordes, but because of them.

I've never found that in a city like NY (a place I love, but for very different reasons). There I've found that people connect as an antidote to its bustle. In London, people seem to use that bustle to disappear into their own solitude, in a most interesting way.

For this reason, and without wanting to sound too pretentious, I've always felt that London has a very definite psychological stamp on its populace, that I've yet to find elsewhere.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 01:39 PM   #52
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I've never found that in a city like NY (a place I love, but for very different reasons). There I've found that people connect as an antidote to its bustle. In London, people seem to use that bustle to disappear into their own solitude, in a most interesting way.

I feel like that in every city (apart from Leeds now): because there is an ever-changing environment, with the noise and colour of the hordes all around you, and my brain is so occupied with processing it all - it can't manage consecutive thoughts about anything else in the present, and I go into a trance. I agree it's kind of liberating.

I'd like to see a good (and ambitous) author try to capture the 'spirit' of present-day London (in the same way that authors try to with New York), without resorting to chocolate-box stereotypes or just concentrating on the Asian communities, etc; that is unless it's already been done and I've missed it.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 01:41 PM   #53
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
okay so i have to ask

how difficult will it be for me as an american citizen to get into your country
and also if i get british citizenship can i have my american citizenship back if i want?

or is the only solution for me to marry that limey bastard?
Old 06.09.2008, 01:46 PM   #54
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
You also get the problem of people not being arsed to travel from fucking Finchley to somewhere faintly central when I've travelled from the other side of the world, the useless, Londoned fuckers.

I hear you and I'm doing that right now myself! Sorry people, if you want to live in the countyryside, please do so without trying to fool yourselves into thinking that you're tough and you live in the big city. Southgate is miles away and I have to get up for work early every day, mon-fri. I'm not travelling for over an hour to get somewhere that is nearer Reading or wherever than London. Not tonight.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 01:52 PM   #55
The Usher
stalker

The Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's asses
I've lived in london for 12 years and never heard of Southgate, I don't blame you for not going!

The Usher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 01:53 PM   #56
sarramkrop

Nice place and everything, it's just like living outside of London. It's for wusses.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 02:05 PM   #57
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I hear you and I'm doing that right now myself! Sorry people, if you want to live in the countyryside, please do so without trying to fool yourselves into thinking that you're tough and you live in the big city. Southgate is miles away and I have to get up for work early every day, mon-fri. I'm not travelling for over an hour to get somewhere that is nearer Reading or wherever than London. Not tonight.

That's more than; my comment was aimed at the people who I ring every time I'm heading to London who know I'm coming at least a week in advance but suddenly find they can't be arsed to get on the tube for 20 minutes. It could be they hate me, but I think it's more likely that the London 'can't be arsed' disease is just so very prevalent these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 02:06 PM   #58
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
travellers are NOT gypsies.

british chicks have that creamy skinned ass.
Old 06.09.2008, 02:07 PM   #59
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
travellers are NOT gypsies.

british chicks have that creamy skinned ass.
irish chicks too
Old 06.09.2008, 02:51 PM   #60
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
okay so i have to ask

how difficult will it be for me as an american citizen to get into your country
and also if i get british citizenship can i have my american citizenship back if i want?

or is the only solution for me to marry that limey bastard?

I think it might be possible to have two citizenships as I have two. But I'm not sure everyone can. There are certain circumstances that allows me to have two. What you can't have is two nationalities.

Marry the limey bastard then divorce him. Who's the limey bastard?

EDIT or rather I have British nationality and citizenship of another country.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth