Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: .....?>?>?>??>
us 31 65.96%
uk 16 34.04%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.22.2011, 01:14 PM   #61
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
yeah i think napalm death count as punk
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2011, 05:27 PM   #62
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses

chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2011, 05:32 PM   #63
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Bad Brains are the only US punk band that count apart from the Ramones (which im taking as a given), the rest vary from total shit to decent, but almost never better than that. From 1976 onwards i mean

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2011, 11:23 PM   #64
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
yeah i think napalm death count as punk

I do too bro I do too.......
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2011, 01:23 AM   #65
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I do too bro I do too.......
You're missing the point, so I suggest checking the description of the band on their own website or wikipedia. Cheveu's last record has some songs with almost Vivaldi-like string arrangements. Does that make them a band that plays classical music? Certain parameters exist to give you an idea of what you're listening to. If you have problems with, it doesn't mean you are right.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2011, 08:37 AM   #66
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Certain parameters exist to give you an idea of what you're listening to. If you have problems with, it doesn't mean you are right.

Look bro, I'm not trying to be a dick here but I'm going not going by internet definitions but rather by general consensus here, same with a band like Assuck, if memory serves me correctly they recorded Anticapital at Morrisound (by Scott Burns no less) and played grindcore, yet they were intrinsically linked to the punk scene in every way. If you went by this sort of musical exclusion process I'm sure bands like Hellnation, Man Is The Bastard, S.D.S. and hundreds of other bands that don't fix exact parameters of punk musically need to be "excluded", although I suppose this sort of mentality is why they didn't particularly mind such exclusions.... so I have no idea why I'm advocating for their inclusion in a scene hell bent on "defining itself".......
Old 04.24.2011, 10:02 AM   #67
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
two words: pink flag

so, uk.

...Also, I'd pretty much agree that Napalm Death were one of the punkest bands ever, punker than most bands usually lumped with punk, but they're frequently credited with inventing grindcore (which sorta started out as harder-than-hardcore punk), so that makes things tricky in many arguments....

...Interestingly, grindcore can be different beasts depending on the band, and Napalm Death eventually evolved the genre it arguably helped create. I'd say the early Napalm Death wasn't too far removed from hardcore punk at all, despite vocally being a lot more guttural of course... but their later stuff is definitely more... for a lack of a better word.. DEATHY. So, grindcore can mean different things to different people and can be different when it comes to different bands.

Either way, great fucking band Napalm Death is. Consistent.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2011, 10:58 AM   #68
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Look bro, I'm not trying to be a dick here but I'm going not going by internet definitions but rather by general consensus here, same with a band like Assuck, if memory serves me correctly they recorded Anticapital at Morrisound (by Scott Burns no less) and played grindcore, yet they were intrinsically linked to the punk scene in every way. If you went by this sort of musical exclusion process I'm sure bands like Hellnation, Man Is The Bastard, S.D.S. and hundreds of other bands that don't fix exact parameters of punk musically need to be "excluded", although I suppose this sort of mentality is why they didn't particularly mind such exclusions.... so I have no idea why I'm advocating for their inclusion in a scene hell bent on "defining itself".......
Maybe you should post that on Terminal Boredom and see the sort of response you'd get. Again, even though ND have strong ties with punk, that's not the first word that springs to mind when you think of their records. The exclusion you talk about isn't something that's ever been a big problem since, as you mentioned earlier on the thread, punks would attend ND gigs, for instance. Same, you know, as when people attend certain shows (see the goths + metal or noise + psychedelia flirtations) because of a shared appreciation of
certain aggression/sounds in music without necessarily sticking to that formula when picking up an instrument. And for fuck's sake, if you call all fast and aggressive music punk, you're simply adding to your own or other people's confusion when making distinctions between bands.
You should leave that to clueless bloggers.
Old 04.24.2011, 11:57 AM   #69
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Canadian Punk
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2011, 01:00 PM   #70
The Watcher
children of satan

I don't even know what terminal boredom is

I just know that I've always considered grindcore to be essentially "punk with blast beats" which is more in line with the punk I listen to (Kaaos, Riistetyt, Asocial, Ripcord, Larm, BGK etc) and that my definitions certainly may not be the status quo, but the status quo of what punk is, is full of stuff I haven interest in.......
Old 04.25.2011, 07:15 PM   #71
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
U.S.A! U.S.A.!

A continuum...

The Wailers
The Sonics
The Fugs
Debris'
The Electric Eels
Crime
Chrome
The Pagans
Nervous Eaters
Vom
Screamers
The Wipers
Black Flag
Minutemen
Really Red
The Freeze
Flipper
Poison Idea
Septic Death
Dead Moon
The Mummies
Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments
The Motards
The A Frames
The Hospitals
The Intelligence
Functional Blackouts
Home Blitz

The U.K. had some great bands, but the canonization of certain bands and the patriotism of their myopic music journalists make for a glut of overrateds and cashers-in on the seemingly never-ending gravy train. I mean, seriously, how undeserving are The Exploited to be careerists in the punk biz??? (Meanwhile, the best U.K. punk goes largely ignored; e.g. Fuck Off Records, descendents of Desperate Bicycles, etc.)

I actually like Aussie punk better overall than U.K. punk.

half of these are hardcore or just plain "alternative/college rock" so I do believe they are null and void in a debate regarding UK vs US punk

I will put my list

Agnostic Front vs UK SUBS (US wins)
Aus Rotten vs SubhumanS (UK wins)
Caustic Christ vs The Varukers (UK wins)
DEFIANCE vs the Defiant (US wins)
Bad Brains vs CRASS (US wins)
A Global Threat vs the Exploited (US wins)

while I adore UK crust/gutter/chaos/hardcore/street punk, the US really does have the edge, especially from scenes like in Boston/Pittsburg/DC/NYC/LA

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2011, 08:34 PM   #72
The Watcher
children of satan

When it comes to the Bad Brains, they always wins..... Seriously seeing the full lineup about 10 years ago (as "The Soul Brains") was a fucking life altering experience......
Old 04.27.2011, 11:52 AM   #73
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
The reason the UK will always win debates of this ilk:

Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2011, 02:55 PM   #74
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
most people who listen to punk as teenagers grow up to eat brown rice and masturbate over tree frogs

Old 04.29.2011, 10:15 PM   #75
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
most people who listen to punk as teenagers grow up to eat brown rice and masturbate over tree frogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
half of these are hardcore or just plain "alternative/college rock" so I do believe they are null and void in a debate regarding UK vs US punk
again, I think you are not thinking of actual punks, more so punkish kinda folks. While mohawks and patches are for the youngsters, most punks I know are still quite self-destructive even to a ripe old age. The only real punks who go the brown rice route are those damned anarcho-animalistas

Old 04.29.2011, 11:54 PM   #76
BakaGaijin
little trouble girl

BakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's asses
U.K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bZzM4s0Hgs
BakaGaijin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2011, 05:22 AM   #77
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaGaijin

The Exploited are the exception that proves the rule. They are absoutely terrible.

Old 04.30.2011, 08:04 AM   #78
BakaGaijin
little trouble girl

BakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The Exploited are the exception that proves the rule. They are absoutely terrible.

I completely agree about The Exploited. That clip was merely a piss take.
BakaGaijin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2011, 08:10 AM   #79
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 04.30.2011, 12:53 PM   #80
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Genteel Death again.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth