Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Stars Of The Lid
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.28.2010, 11:23 AM   #1
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
I usually try to avoid spamming the forum threads that are basically just me going 'OMG, THIS BAND/ARTIST IS AMAZING!!!11", without really adding anything, but I feel compelled to do so right now, because Stars Of The Lid are freakin' awesome. I've had the 'And The Refinement Of Their Decline' record for ages now, and always liked it a lot, but this last week or so it's just been massively clicking with me. I'm not going to try and get all superlative and start blabbering about aching melancholy or dying stars or whatever other stuff I'm tempted to say about the band, because it's really just a bit silly, but rather I'll just say that 'Refinement' is a fantastic, fantastic release, definitely one of my favourite of the whole droney/modern composition crop, and if you don't know it you should check it/them out. I should get more of their stuff...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Definitely one of the best music acts ever. Beautiful.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2010, 11:42 AM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
cool, gave me a chance to bump my old classics album post that only 2 people had replied to before. ballasted still represents their best work, imo.

also, i don't think talking about good music is spamming, man -- i'd definitely rather see a bunch of threads on bands like this than another dinosaur jr thread...

anyway, fantastic band, one of the few with no a single bad release, really just a brilliant band, even if 90% of it is the exact same thing (volume swelling up, volume lowering, 50000 times, haha). it's deceptively simple, because I've listened to some of those songs CLOSELY about a billion times and still pick up on new little things going on in the extremely subtle layers and whatnot. they're pretty un-fuck-with-able, and are up there with basinski as being probably the best pure ambient music you can get, imo. fun to drive to, also.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Mr.K
empty page

Mr.K has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
And they're a pretty fucking cool live act as well.
Mr.K is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth