Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page classic albums, atsonicpark edition # 20: boris - flood
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.07.2008, 10:10 AM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

BORIS "FLOOD"
2000, MIDI Creative
If you were to ask me a Boris album to reccomend that kind of comprehensively sums up their sums up their output, I'd say Amplifier Worship... surely a masterwork of our time...

But THIS album is the one that just makes me think this band is full of fucking geniuses. I don't even know what to say -- there is a sound to this album that is just unbelievable. The production and the playing is incredibly inspired, whether ranging from doom style riffing to noisey outbursts to extended minimal solos......

But special recognition needs to be mentioned for the first song. Play this one on some amazing speakers full blast. When I first put it on, I was like "Oh shit, that's a cool riff." And then it kept going and going and going, becoming more delayed every 20 seconds or so, until the layers of the riffs are repeated on itself, making new structures as it goes along. Strangely, it seems to be more influenced by someone like William Basinski than any of Boris's "doom" contemporaries.

And I think that's what truely makes Boris special: They are intelligently employing artful leanings with their heavy sound, failing to make the same album twice. Though they may have some similiar albums (Heavy Rocks and Pink both rock out; Amplifier Worship and Absolutego are both mind-melting doom drone blasts, etc), their body of work is filled with so much intelligence and imagination that it's hard to imagine any band toppling them soon in their crowded genre. They constantly reinvent themselves yet remain themselves no matter what they are doing.

This album is amazing. I dunno if it's for everybody, as I'll be the first to admit it technically doesn't go "anywhere" -- but to me, it goes everywhere. A classic!

And if anyone has a tab for the first song on this, lemme know!

A little trivia that has nothing to do with this post but I was just thinking of it as I listened back to all the stuff Boris has recorded: I first heard Absolutego back in 2001 while at school. I had two study halls in a row at school, and I think it was the southern website that had Absolutego in streaming Real Media format. Their description of it made me check it out... "it starts with 20 minutes of feedback" Sounded cool! I put it on and listened to all 63 minutes of it on headphones full-blast and was like "the fuck was that?" Then, I didn't hear anything by Boris for a few years after that. Weird eh...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i need to write a much extended post when i have time but for now i'll just say this is such an amazing album.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2008, 11:32 AM   #3
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
this is my third favorite, or maybe fourth favorite, behind amp worship, pink, and possibll rock dream with international man of noise merzbow.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2008, 12:18 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's 1. flood, 2. amplifier worship, 3. sun baked snow cave 4. akuma no uta 5. feedbacker 6. megatone 7. altar 8. black: implication flooding 9. pink 10. rock dream 11. heavy rocks 12. rainbow 13. altar 14. dronevil 15. vein (i've only heard the shorter version though)

I need to check out the thing which soloman overlooked series..

Old 02.07.2008, 02:39 PM   #6
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
this album is so great. the third song, as i have mentioned before s so perfectly perfect. the part at like six minutes when the main riff explodes into the speakers is one of the greatest in music of the last decade.
my favorite boris is amp worship
then this
then feedbacker

i used to like pink alot but a lot of the rockier songs bore me a bit.
the first song is amazing though. and heavy rocks is awesome...
i still need to hear absolutego and a few others...

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2008, 07:10 PM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Haven't heard it.

Old 02.07.2008, 08:10 PM   #9
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I think it's 1. flood, 2. amplifier worship, 3. sun baked snow cave 4. akuma no uta 5. feedbacker 6. megatone 7. altar 8. black: implication flooding 9. pink 10. rock dream 11. heavy rocks 12. rainbow 13. altar 14. dronevil 15. vein (i've only heard the shorter version though)

I need to check out the thing which soloman overlooked series..

id be a bold faced liar if i said ive heard everysingle one of those.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2008, 08:57 PM   #10
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
everything i've heard by boris goes from great to brilliant.

the worst i've heard by them is walrus/groon and that split with stupid babies go mad. the only exceptions to what i typed above.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth