Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Psychic hearts go out to you.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.10.2007, 06:09 AM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
anyway it was barely worth the $3 i got it for at a pawn shop.

fuck sassy thurston.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2007, 06:10 AM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
actually the only real good thing about it is mark prindle's review of it...

"

This album is so Thurston POORE, it makes me want to take it out of the Thurston DRAWERE and throw it on the Thurston FLOORE. Then I might even grab the Thurston BORE and kick it out the Thurston DOORE and go down to the Thurston SHORE to pick up a Thurston WHORE. Let me tell you what you have in Thurston STORE if you decide that Dirty and Goodbye 20th Century CDs aren't sufficiently rotten to the Thurston CORE and you need some Thurston MORE to. oh. That was already - OK next slide.
Submitted for your approval: Sonic Youth features THREE different songwriters and STILL can't put out consistently good albums. So how do you think that ONE of those songwriters would fare when deciding to create a 15-song solo work? Well, Lee Ranaldo decided to create an album that's just a bunch of noises with locked grooves - "infinity" he calls it - HA! Can you imagine the art? Unfortunately it didn't translate very well to CD, what with "locked groove CDs" not...uh... existing. The first track sounds like --- HEY! WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO TO MY REVIEW, YA DAMN "READER"???
As I set out to say, when Thurston Moore decided to create a solo work, he ripped off "He's So Fine," added a "bonus disk" of the worst jamming garbage you will ever hear, battled a burglar in his home and eventually sadly succumbed to the cancer that had - HEY!!!! GOD DAMN AMERICA FOR MAKING MY ATTENTION SPAN SO SHORT THAT I CAN'T EVEN COMPLETE THIS SIMPLE ARTICLE ABOUT THE YANKEES FOR MY SPORTS NEWS WEB SITE!
Thurston Moore's bad habits: (A) Performing songs whose vocal melodies are exactly the same as the guitar melodies. You've heard "Iron Man," right? Not the smartest-sounding song around, is it? (B) Just "saying" lyrics in an attempt to come across as "sassy" and "cool" - often double-tracked and/or through a distortion effect. Like an especially whiny version of Lou Reed. While we're on the subject, am I crazy or does Lou Reed seem to be especially fond of himself? (C) Using the exact same simplistic songwriting style in every single song (think of his tracks on Experimental, Jet Set, etc. - every song on here sounds just like those but worse -- unbelievably simple power chord sequences with slight finger ups-and-downsy changes repeated over and over and over again). And (D) Coming up with absolutely atrocious, ugly, amateurish, boring "hooks" with no positive qualities for miles around. Which is to say that if you like his Sonic Youth output, there's at least a CHANCE you'll like this too, though don't be surprised if you find your opinion of the man sinking pretty low after giving it a spin in the washing machine.
Woman: Did you say WASHING MACHINE????
Man: I sure did, SISTER!
Woman: Oh man, dat's COLD man - dat's EVOL!
Man: Sorry about that, baby! Look, to make it up to you, how about if I let you stroke my DIRTY MASTER-DIK til I shoot my GOO all over those NYC GHOSTS AND FLOWERS?
Woman: I'm confused.
Man: Of course you are baby, because CONFUSION IS SYR 3 FEATURING JIM O'ROURKE.
Woman: Don't GO there! You ain't getting' none of MY stuff unless you pay me A THOUSAND. (LEAVES).
Man: Hey! Come back! This is BAD because the MOON is out and my penis is RISING!
(Curtain)
There are four pretty great songs on here (the intriguing feedback-drenched "Ono Soul," an interesting little arpeggiated minor chord piece of melody called - ironically enough - "Pretty Bad," a sassy generic Sonic Youth style rocker called "See-Through Play/Mate" that has a really awesome double-guitared third chord in the riff, and this really fast "Hang Out" song whose ugly chords actually come to really grow on a guy if he's forced to listen to them over and over inside an echo chamber full of bugs. All crawling in and out of his eyes until he GOES INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNEEEEEEEE!!!!!!)
The rest of the album sucks a dick though, and I betcha any other member of Sonic Youth, past or present, would say the same thing. I hope that SOMEHOW this review is only taken as a bitch piece about this particular CD though, because I made some personal attacks on Thurston in my Sonic Youth reviews (which are several years old, btw) and that is NOT AT ALL my intent here. He's just a guy who creates the kind of music that he likes. And a ton of other people like it too. I just PERSONALLY feel that his weak rockers need the counterpoint of Lee Ranaldo's screwball art-minded brain to keep them interesting and varied. Otherwise they sound underwritten, amateurish and extremely samey. And I think the same of Lee's ambient mood pieces - without the rock structure of the rest of the band, that guy's output is a total bore too. So please - I like Thurston now, and greatly respect how he has kept his band together for over two decades, for the most part giving us lots of really good songs to enjoy. But I can't help it - this CD really really does honestly suck a lot of balls out of my mouth.
"

Old 05.10.2007, 07:52 AM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

oh i just pulled out psychic heats and gave it a listen while cleaning my cock.

the song "pyschic hearts", simple and ridiculous as it is, is really good!!! i love when he goes "i don't even know you that well."

reminds me of that song by the fall that repeats one chord for 8 minutes. oh wait..

Old 05.10.2007, 10:02 AM   #24
Daddylikes
the end of the ugly

Daddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's asses
psychic hearts is hands down my favorite song thurston moore has penned....

Free City Rhymes/Empty Page are a close Second/Third.
Daddylikes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2007, 11:52 AM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I love psychic hearts. It took me a bit to get fully into it. but you gots to bow down to the queen of noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05.10.2007, 12:48 PM   #26
SonicSam
children of satan

SonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's asses
I never actually noticed the vocal effects til i read this. Good album, although I only recently got it, so I'm not fully used to it yet

SonicSam is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2007, 01:40 PM   #27
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
it's better than any other sy output of the 90's.

well i dunno about that statement... however psychic hearts is thurston's precursor trademark guitar sound for albums A Thousand Leaves through now, its the beginning of when he started using the Pavement tuning (CGDGBB and now CGDGCD) that tuning was probably still quite new to him so he was probably just thrashing about new riffs, now he has obviously found his nitsch in that tuning and come up with better riffs/progressions. and also i kinda look at it as a combination of SY and early Catpower (remember Tim Folijan who played on the first few Catpower albums is on Psychic Hearts, same goes with Steve) this was when Chan was more rocking...

Anyways if i have to say I've prefered to listening to this as opposed to the album EJST&NS and boy i must say that EJST&NS overall is just lacking there are some decent tunes but then there are some really weird and unfinished sounding songs that don't make any sense other than just fragments.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2007, 02:51 PM   #28
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
that's why I like EJST+NS.. it's damn weird
Old 05.11.2007, 12:40 AM   #29
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

and damn inconsistent.

and sassy!

Old 05.11.2007, 01:16 AM   #30
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
As far as i know, most of Psychic Hearts songs were written by Thurston for Experimental Jet Set but did not make on the album. So if there were not released, i bet everyone would get crazy just to hear them... I can't believe that someone could complain that he paid 3$ on a record...
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2009, 02:24 AM   #31
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
i love this. Still sounds lovely and fresh. Love the T.Bone riffs, the simple Steve-o drumming and the perverted noise that's always in the background.
Beauty.
Old 06.17.2009, 05:42 AM   #32
sonicbairn
empty page

sonicbairn kicks all y'all's assessonicbairn kicks all y'all's assessonicbairn kicks all y'all's assessonicbairn kicks all y'all's assessonicbairn kicks all y'all's assessonicbairn kicks all y'all's assessonicbairn kicks all y'all's assessonicbairn kicks all y'all's assessonicbairn kicks all y'all's assessonicbairn kicks all y'all's assessonicbairn kicks all y'all's asses
i love psychic hearts.... i'm gonna listen to it now
sonicbairn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2009, 06:12 AM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Id like to think that im a good person, and that i love my boyfriend… but i know, if my colleague wanted to screw me in the training room… id be there in a second….

Old 06.17.2009, 06:28 AM   #34
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
what does it being discontinued for years mean in relation to it being good or bad? it means nothing.

and for the record, that's one record -- along with pacers "amp" and chumbawumba's "tubthumping" -- that i see used EVERYWHERE.

psychic hearts is pretty bad.

The Amps - Pacer

brilliant record, actually.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2009, 06:32 AM   #35
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, I like Pacer quite a bit!

I also always see the Titanic soundtrack at pawn shops.

Best find at a pawn shop ever was definitely Hot Snakes - Automatic Midnight in a pure red case (instead of the orange one).

Old 06.17.2009, 06:32 AM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Wait.. I take that back...

At the SAME pawn shop, I found Flipper - Generic a good 9 years ago.. and I sold it about 4 years ago for $40

Old 06.17.2009, 06:39 AM   #37
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Mine was an original of John and Yoko's Unfinished Music #2 Life With The Lions, for about a tenner.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 06.17.2009, 06:42 AM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Damn!!!!!

That album's great. I love both of those "unfinished music" albums a lot.

Old 06.17.2009, 06:55 AM   #39
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

My hands kinda in the way, but you'll be able to see my favourite t-shirt in the whole damn world.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 06.17.2009, 06:57 AM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

yes!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth