Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page bob dylan
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.19.2006, 08:04 PM   #1
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
i've noticed he gets dissed alot by a wide range of people and it is wildly unwaranted. first of all, let's just look at his influence. he changed pop music from singing about california girls and wanting to hold your hand to intelligent introspection and poetry. if you like any of the sonic youths lyrics, you owe a debt to dylan. second, people constantly complain "he can't sing, derrrrrr." that's a god damn lie. no one has EVER covered a bob dylan song and improved on the original. blowin' in the wind is covered so frequently but no one can match his earthy downright folksy delivery. yes, he went downhill considerably, but that doesn't diminish his early works. he still is and always will be one of the most influential artists in popular music
Old 04.19.2006, 08:05 PM   #2
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
I agree.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2006, 08:33 PM   #3
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
profound
Old 04.19.2006, 08:33 PM   #4
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Well, you said it all.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2006, 10:02 PM   #5
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
bob dylan is my homie! most people are to stupid to realize that he disgises his voice. lord only knows why he does this. but it sure sets him apart. its pretty cool though. he has like 5 different singing voices. ive got like 20 bob dylan cds. and i plan on buying more
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2006, 10:04 PM   #6
dietzer123
stalker

oh yea, the difference between the freewheelin' and nashville skyline is amazing
Old 04.19.2006, 10:10 PM   #7
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
these are probably my all time favorite dylan lyrics
from "it's alright ma (i'm only bleeding)"
Darkness at the break of noon
Shadows even the silver spoon
The handmade blade, the child's balloon
Eclipses both the sun and moon
To understand you know too soon
There is no sense in trying.

Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn
Suicide remarks are torn
From the fool's gold mouthpiece
The hollow horn plays wasted words
Proves to warn
That he not busy being born
Is busy dying.

Temptation's page flies out the door
You follow, find yourself at war
Watch waterfalls of pity roar
You feel to moan but unlike before
You discover
That you'd just be
One more person crying.

So don't fear if you hear
A foreign sound to your ear
It's alright, Ma, I'm only sighing.

thats only like half. i dint wanna fill the page up completley...
Old 04.19.2006, 10:20 PM   #8
dietzer123
stalker

my favorite dylan song of all time. greatest one liners ever written. i'm taking a humanities class and we analyzed the lyrics today and i was so overwhelmed with joy i nearly passed out
Old 04.20.2006, 12:36 AM   #9
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Bob is a weird guy. If you saw the documentary "No Direction Home" he's always talking about re-inventing himself. Not musically, but personally, changing his name, talking about how he never felt his childhood really was the person he was meant to be. Being born in the wrong place to the wrong set of parents, so he felt the need to pretty much create his own identity apart from the homelife he was born into, and he believes that everything he goes through is destiny, a destiny he never questions.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 12:43 AM   #10
Flen flyys
little trouble girl

Flen flyys has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietzer123
no one has EVER covered a bob dylan song and improved on the original.

I like the Jimi Hendrix 'All Along the Watchtower' better, but other than that, hell yeah Bob Dylan is awesome.
Old 04.20.2006, 12:57 AM   #11
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I love Bob. For people that complain about his voice....well, Lou Reed might not have existed without him. It's all about Bringing It All Back Home....It's All Over Now (Baby Blue) is easily one of my favorite songs ever.
Old 04.20.2006, 01:09 AM   #12
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flen flyys
I like the Jimi Hendrix 'All Along the Watchtower' better, but other than that, hell yeah Bob Dylan is awesome.

Yeah that's the main one. I know some people that thought Dave Matthews wrote that song...but I don't hate him (DM). Put that in yr "overrated poll" pipe and smoke it. Ok, Im drunk and will shut up now.
Old 04.20.2006, 12:43 PM   #13
finding nobody
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
I love Bob. For people that complain about his voice....well, Lou Reed might not have existed without him. It's all about Bringing It All Back Home....It's All Over Now (Baby Blue) is easily one of my favorite songs ever.
this is a fucking great song. have you ever seen "dont look back". dylan plays it in a hotel room and it blows the album version out the mothafuckin water! you gotta hear it if you havent already
Old 04.20.2006, 01:19 PM   #14
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
i like old dylan:
blonde on blonde
bringing it back home
the times they are a'changin'
highway 61 revisited
john wesley harding
basement tapes

i really like his writing style back then. i don't like anything past nashville skyline. i really don't mind his vocals, not everyone can be an amazing singer. if people get hung up on that, they're missing the point.

sonikold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 01:27 PM   #15
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
His xm radio show starts up in May. Each show will have a differant theme. The first one is weather. Whiskey is another one. He's going to have guests like Sarah Silverman and Elvis Costello. Basically he just made satelite radio a big pile of legit fun.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 02:15 PM   #16
krastian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody
this is a fucking great song. have you ever seen "dont look back". dylan plays it in a hotel room and it blows the album version out the mothafuckin water! you gotta hear it if you havent already

Yeah I have that and No Direction Home which was ok, but kind of disappointing. The majority of it was just about him plugging in....Christ we get it! Bob did more than just that!
Old 04.20.2006, 03:24 PM   #17
finding nobody
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah I have that and No Direction Home which was ok, but kind of disappointing. The majority of it was just about him plugging in....Christ we get it! Bob did more than just that!
no kiddin! it would be nice to see a documentary on the years afterward. like from john wesley harding to blood on the tracks
Old 04.20.2006, 03:35 PM   #18
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
When I was in Missouri
They would not let me be
I had to leave there in a hurry
I only saw what they let me see
You broke a heart that loved you
Now you can seal up the book and not write anymore
I've been walking that lonesome valley
Trying to get to heaven before they close the door

thats from Love and Theft ,2001

I like the line "i only saw what they let me see"
I think Dylan exudes the same thing. He's pretty tight lipped and has guided the way he will be viewed after he's gone.
Hell Read Chronicles vol1, thats him how he wants to be seen. Or hell read one of the 50 or so bios about him to learn what other want you to think about Dylan...
Man of mystery, yes
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 05:27 PM   #19
strictlycommercial
bad moon rising

strictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Think that was the point, excising a small sliver of his rather immense career & spreading it out. Plus the film worked beautifully, building through the new york folk scene up into the fantastic, drug-addled early eletric. I nearly wet myself when they lashed into maggie's farm at Newport. Also the way it was intercut with that interview with Pete Seeger, you could still see how bitter he was about it.

Some of his later stuff is really good, Oh Mercy, Love & Theft & Time out of Mind especially. Just avoid pretty much everything beween 1977 & 87 and you should be fine.
strictlycommercial is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 10:30 PM   #20
krastian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody
no kiddin! it would be nice to see a documentary on the years afterward. like from john wesley harding to blood on the tracks

Yeah man.....I was hoping for some of that on No Direction Home and some footage from the Rolling Thunder Revue tour......bastards.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth