Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page NO SET LIST by JenntheBenn - -FUPPETS- REVIEW
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.10.2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Hi Jenn.

-FUPPETS- has a review of NO SET LIST up now.

I have copied and pasted it here for the forum's perusal.

Long-time Sonic Youth fanatic and all around bad-ass, Jenn Benningfield, has documented her obsession with live Sonic Youth concerts, as well as the life that develops around such an obsession, in her book NO SET LIST: Pieces Of A Sonic Life. It is available HERE for the low, low price of $15.

-FUPPETS- has absorbed the book, and what a book it is. While the omnipresent Sonic Youth are integral to the book, it is Sonic Youth's peripheral universe that is the real star here.

The lines of uber-fans showing up hours early, the crowds of people that frequent the shows, the travel required to attend 40+ shows and the inevitable highs and lows of that travel, the camaraderie between people who are total strangers except for the fact that they love skronk rock, and most of all, the joy of the fleeting moments shared with one's musical idols, these are the main pillars of NO SET LIST.

The bits that truly hook the reader though, are the relationships that Jenn builds with her fellow fanatics, whether at shows or through meeting those people she has corresponded with on Sonic Youth's infamous Fan Gossip Forum, including one who would become her partner-in-crime for much of NO SET LIST's duration. Her travels begin close to home but soon take her throughout the Midwest, California, Oregon, and as far as Britain in search of that sonic eargasm that only Sonic Youth can provide.

Planes, trains, and automobiles are all endured, travails are overcome, and health issues are faced, all with humor and biting wit, and with the help of Snoopy's all-consuming love. What could easily become rote, (the endless bus/train stations, the countless opening acts, the obsession with Sonic Youth), never does and this is a testament to the quality of the writing within, not to mention the quality of the mind making the observations which we are absorbing.

Sonic Youth is not an "easy" band to like. They go out of their way to test and expand their audience's ears. They are a group that seeks to make art, and that seek to push the envelope as to what can constitute great musical art. Jenn captures all of this, as well as the blinding white skronk joy that Sonic Youth give to those that are patient and keep their ears open. NO SET LIST opens this world and exposes it to the light. What we find inside is comforting, exhausting, exhilirating, and downright beautiful. -FUPPETS- wishes Jenn was put on retainer by Sonic Youth so as to document their every appearance! That way, -FUPPETS- would have a mainline to the world's greatest band, and there is nothing better.

-FUPPETS- would like to thank Jenn Benningfield for writing NO SET LIST, and for having the balls to put herself and her writing out into the world.
Old 08.10.2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Zombie Robot
expwy. to yr skull

Zombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's asses
oh man, this is an awesome review instigator!
Old 08.10.2009, 01:56 PM   #3
godsfavoritedog
bad moon rising

godsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Robot
oh man, this is an awesome review instigator!

What she said ... awesome enough to finally get me motivated to order one.

"don't worry about that," says the angel,
"soon she'll be stinking in bed with a brainless dick."
godsfavoritedog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2009, 02:13 PM   #4
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
it's a great book, y'all. Get it if you dn't have it!
Old 08.10.2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
One of the best books I have read in a very long time, I couldn't put it down.
Rob- you articulated everything I would like to say about it perfectly! Nice job the both of you.

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2009, 02:31 PM   #6
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Wow...thanks, Rob. I'm truly kinda awed right now.
Old 08.10.2009, 02:38 PM   #7
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
it is really great Jenn. I'm only half-way thru becuz I've ONLY been reading when I go to the beach, which is MAYBE once a week. BUT it's been the perfect beach read (how Borders does that sound?).

I think it's great. I've read every book ABOUT SY that I know of. But this has been something else altogether. A book about what it feels like to love SY, I guess is the best explanation.

I just hope that if someone buys the movie rights, they don't get Drew Barrymore to play you, Jimmy Fallon for Trick and swap out SY for Neil Diamond. Y'dig?
Old 08.10.2009, 02:42 PM   #8
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Corey Feldman was made to play Trick in the film. This I know.
Old 08.10.2009, 02:45 PM   #9
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
ya, i too have been in the process of reading (during the breaks between the times i'm carrying boxes since i've been in the midst of a major move)

great job!

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2009, 04:35 AM   #10
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
Kirk Cameron should be cast as Brother Patrick. Then the movie could be about planes, trains, and automobiles in search of God, not Sonic Youth.

I'd like my bit part to be played by Dudley Moore, and my character changed to an old martini guzzling, red-faced lush--a wise fool--that sheds insight and chomps pizza waiting to see Sonic Youth (or Jesus for that matter) prattling to the herd in a faux British accent...

Jenn, I vote you be played by a gum-smacking Moesha... the story would be more captivating if you were black and faced obstacles in your search of Sonic Youth (or Jesus) because of your race. The title could be changed to No Justice.

Or Frances Bean Cobain could make her screen debut?
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2009, 04:58 AM   #11
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Looks like I need to order a copy of this book.
Good review Rob and good luck with it Jenn.
Old 08.12.2009, 08:41 PM   #12
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I fine review of a fine book....well done!!
Old 08.14.2009, 09:01 AM   #13
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
Jenn I want this book! Awesome that you did this.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2009, 04:46 PM   #14
barry swedgin
bad moon rising

barry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's asses
I love this book. So funny. And what fuppets say...
barry swedgin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2009, 04:48 PM   #15
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
This reminds me I need to get this book.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2009, 04:55 PM   #16
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgekrz

get it. get it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by static-harmony
This reminds me I need to get this book.

hell yeah you do fool!

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2009, 04:56 PM   #17
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgekrz

You can order or I can bring a copy to the show at Terminal 5. If you can
wait that long.
Old 08.18.2009, 08:54 AM   #18
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
yes, bring a copy to Terminal 5! I'll be reading it during the show, between the bands at least... I think this venue might be best to stand on Lee side of the stage...
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth