Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Cannabis is to be reclassified as a class B drug (UK)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.07.2008, 12:06 PM   #1
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7386889.stm

it's about time.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 12:13 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
so they made it harsher on weed smokers, giving more power to the cops, and you are in favor?

im against the abuse of weed, and as a matter of fact i don't smoke it, but i don't think it should be a police problem-- just like alcohol.

nobody likes an alkie, but the cops shouldn't be busting everyone who drinks or sells booze.

and i can attest, gin is more dangerous than skunk.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 12:16 PM   #3
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i am just against people smoking too much of it. I have had two of my friends develop schizophrenia from smoking too much weed, one is now dead.
Old 05.07.2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
how do you know the weed did not help them deal with the schizophrenia?

there have been countless hundreds of clinical sudies on weed and not a one has shown any mental illness as a result.
Old 05.07.2008, 12:22 PM   #5
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Stop talking bullshit rob, my mum works for a mental health charity and has done for most of her life, she knows her shit when it comes to talking about cannabis and mental health issues it can trigger. You don't.
Old 05.07.2008, 12:26 PM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
i am just against people smoking too much of it. I have had two of my friends develop schizophrenia from smoking too much weed, one is now dead.

sure, same here. but throwing the cops into the mix doesn't help anyone, i think.

alcohol is a big factor in domestic violence. lots of women get killed by angry drunken husbands. also, alcoholism causes cirrhosis of the liver, brain damage, kidney damage, car accidents, etc. still, most people enjoy a beer every now and then, and are able to go to a pub & enjoy a nice time without fear of prosecution.

drug abuse (any kind of drug abuse) is a public health problem, and the solution is not criminal prosecution, but treatment.

people who want to get fucked up are always going to do it-- whether it is with illegal drugs, prescriptions, industrial glues and solvents, sugary foods, etc. just look around & you'll see-- you think macdonalds doesn't kill people?
Old 05.07.2008, 12:31 PM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
how do you know the weed did not help them deal with the schizophrenia?

there have been countless hundreds of clinical sudies on weed and not a one has shown any mental illness as a result.

"Last year, Netherlands researchers reviewed five studies and concluded that the use of marijuana (cannabis) approximately doubles the risk of developing schizophrenia. Because the studies excluded anyone with a history of psychosis and controlled for the use of other drugs, they were "able to show the specific effects of cannabis."

etc:

http://bipolar.about.com/od/relatedd...schizo_pot.htm

--
ha ha, this brings back memories:

"The abnormalities occur in a brain pathway related to language and auditory functions which is still developing during adolescence."

^^ i remember i used to hear shit that didn't exist, ha ha. chronic use of weed is not for me!
Old 05.07.2008, 12:32 PM   #8
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
sure, same here. but throwing the cops into the mix doesn't help anyone, i think.

alcohol is a big factor in domestic violence. lots of women get killed by angry drunken husbands. also, alcoholism causes cirrhosis of the liver, brain damage, kidney damage, car accidents, etc. still, most people enjoy a beer every now and then, and are able to go to a pub & enjoy a nice time without fear of prosecution.

I don't know much about alcohol abuse or domestic violence, as luckily i have not experienced any of it first hand. What i have experienced is people i have known my entire life going completely insane from smoking too much weed, and then stabbing themselves to death with a pair of scissors in front of their family.

Quote:
drug abuse (any kind of drug abuse) is a public health problem, and the solution is not criminal prosecution, but treatment.

people who want to get fucked up are always going to do it-- whether it is with illegal drugs, prescriptions, industrial glues and solvents, etc. just look around & you'll see.

but once you have triggered schizophrenia in yourself treatment can only go so far, you will most likely suffer bouts of schizophrenia throughout the rest of your life.
Reclassifying it will hopefully prevent it getting to that point, it will prevent the people most likely to suffer schizophrenia at some time in their life from bringing it upon themselves earlier or even at all.
Old 05.07.2008, 12:35 PM   #9
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I don't know much about alcohol abuse or domestic violence, as luckily i have not experienced any of it first hand. What i have experience is people i have known my entire life going completely insane from smoking too much weed, and then stabbing themselves to death with a pair of scissors in front of their family.

but once you have triggered schizophrenia in yourself treatment can only go so far, you will most likely suffer bouts of schizophrenia throughout the rest of your life.
Reclassifying it will hopefully prevent it getting to that point, it will prevent the people most likely to suffer schizophrenia at some time in their life from bringing it upon themselves earlier or even at all.

well, take cigarettes-- cigarettes cause lung cancer. so people who smoke have a choice to risk lung cancer for their pleasure.

theoretically, you could sell weed with warnings about the risk of schizophrenia. just like alcohol should have warnings about liver damage (but doesn't).

about your friend, i'm very sorry. but still, you can't tell millions of people what they can or can't do with their minds and bodies. we live in what try to be free, open societies, not in authoritarian dictatorships-- and that's a good thing.
Old 05.07.2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
if they make it more illegal, then people are going to desire it a lot more.

it's stupid; besides, the cops are going to be looking for potheads instead of more dangerous criminals.

...on a lighter note, CANNABIS CORPSE!

Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 12:41 PM   #11
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
well, take cigarettes-- cigarettes cause lung cancer. so people who smoke have a choice to risk lung cancer for their pleasure.

theoretically, you could sell weed with warnings about the risk of schizophrenia. just like alcohol should have warnings about liver damage (but doesn't).

You have a point, but there is a big difference between someone who has lung cancer's behaviour and someone who is a paranoid schizophrenics' behaviour. Its about their safety and the public's safety.

Quote:
about your friend, i'm very sorry. but still, you can't tell millions of people what they can or can't do with their minds and bodies. we live in what try to be free, open societies, not in authoritarian dictatorships-- and that's a good thing.

Isn't that what the government is all about, they tell us what is legal and what is not.
Old 05.07.2008, 12:45 PM   #12
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I'm with sskull on this one. I don't know much about weed triggering schizophrenia, but I know that weed fucks me up pretty bad always I do it (not exactly when I do it but afterwards - several weeks after I get smoke up I tend to get terribly depressed).

Maybe I just made up that shit in my head, who knows. But it works like that, so i know it can have adverse effects on human mind too.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 12:47 PM   #13
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I'm with sskull on this one. I don't know much about weed triggering schizophrenia, but I know that weed fucks me up pretty bad always I do it (not exactly when I do it but afterwards - several weeks after I get smoke up I tend to get terribly depressed).

Maybe I just made up that shit in my head, who knows. But it works like that, so i know it can have adverse effects on human mind too.

Don't do it then honey, its not worth it. If you were to see some of the people my mum has to work with, and the parents of these kids who are now their full-time-carers. It's fucked up, its a horrible horrible illness to have.
Old 05.07.2008, 12:47 PM   #14
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
the real way to get people to at least consider and know if they can smoke weed is by getting informed and being well educated.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 12:47 PM   #15
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
You have a point, but there is a big difference between someone who has lung cancer's behaviour and someone who is a paranoid schizophrenics' behaviour. Its about their safety and the public's safety.

Isn't that what the government is all about, they tell us what is legal and what is not.

yes, that's what the government is all about, but there are degrees of government intervention. most people like less government intervention and the freedom to make their own choices, even if those involve some risk.

sure a government can act like a big parent and regulate every aspect of your life, from what you eat to how you spend your weekend, but those social experiments failed miserably in the XX century for a reason. oh, north korea is still around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_

yes, it does you. but what would you do if your government criminalized beer?

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/...full/155/4/552
Old 05.07.2008, 12:49 PM   #16
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Ian McKay strikes again!
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 12:49 PM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
"Last year, Netherlands researchers reviewed five studies and concluded that the use of marijuana (cannabis) approximately doubles the risk of developing schizophrenia. Because the studies excluded anyone with a history of psychosis and controlled for the use of other drugs, they were "able to show the specific effects of cannabis."

etc:

http://bipolar.about.com/od/relatedd...schizo_pot.htm

--
ha ha, this brings back memories:

"The abnormalities occur in a brain pathway related to language and auditory functions which is still developing during adolescence."

^^ i remember i used to hear shit that didn't exist, ha ha. chronic use of weed is not for me!

from the above link

Thus if a young person is genetically at risk for schizophrenia, the research suggests, the use of marijuana can cause the same kind of damage the schizophenia would cause, which could bring on the illness when it might otherwise have not have emerged, cause earlier onset, and/or worsen the condition.

and that is why you should not smoke weed until you are a adult and your brain is fully formed, as I did.
Old 05.07.2008, 12:49 PM   #18
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Don't do it then honey, its not worth it. If you were to see some of the people my mum has to work with, and the parents of these kids who are now their full-time-carers. It's fucked up, its a horrible horrible illness to have.

No no, I try to avoid it. I smoked pot like 5 times in past 5 years.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 12:54 PM   #19
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i fucked the link above, here is a better one:

alcohol's damaging effects on the brain
Old 05.07.2008, 12:54 PM   #20
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Most cases of schizophrenic behaviour due to smoking cannabis takes place when that person is already schizophrenic, the drug just makes it worse. I don't think cannabis is a clever thing to do whatsoever, however I do feel its a convienient scapegoat for a highly complex mental condition, all cases of mental illness and severe depression are a result of numerous external and internal factors, not just drug consumption.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth