Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sebadoh: Bubble and Scrape reunion Don't Look Back
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.12.2007, 09:22 AM   #21
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
i've never really bothered to check out full sebadoh albums.
with less worse than a led zeppelin reunion i was more referring to them being less old men. not that that automatically makes it less of a bad idea, but they haven't been away that long i think? like 5 or six years or so?
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2007, 11:03 AM   #22
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
the other problem with sebadoh is that eric gaffney sucks
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2007, 11:12 AM   #23
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
the other problem with sebadoh is that eric gaffney sucks

I tend to agree with that. I remember back when khchrissy was saying the only good Sebadoh was with Gaffney. Please, i have to fast forward Gaffney penned tunes. There may be a couple ok ones somewhere that i may overlooking ,but probably not...

My fave is still BAKESALE, baby. It's their most cohesive collection. i love the sound of that record. It sounds like one straight through live set, and less of an overdubbed experimental thing. Shows how good they are when they are at their simplistic best..

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2007, 11:49 AM   #24
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
To me, Sebadoh represent everything that went wrong with American "Indie Rock" after the Sonic Youth / Big Black / Butthole Surfers / Dinosaur Jr / Husker Du brilliance of the late 80s. There's no place for whining in rock and roll.

you said it...they seemed like a good idea at the time but I can't stand to listen to them now.

Led Zep are supposed to announce some kind of reunion today or tomorrow.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2007, 12:01 PM   #25
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Since I'm from a younger generation, I suppose my definition of "whining rock 'n roll" is different (Smashing Pumpkins, etc.) but I really don't see Sebadoh all that much as whiners.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2007, 12:53 PM   #26
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
What's the deal with bands performing their old albums? for some reason I find that a bit boring idea, lame even.

the whole entire PURPOSE of Don't look Badck series is to have old seminal bands play complete albums. what the fuck is so hard about that to understand?

I LOVE when bands do this!
Old 09.12.2007, 07:02 PM   #27
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the whole entire PURPOSE of Don't look Badck series is to have old seminal bands play complete albums. what the fuck is so hard about that to understand?

I LOVE when bands do this!

I love it too, as long as they continue to move forward, as well. Sonic Youth still puts out a new record every two years and tours behind it. I don't think the Daydream Nation shows will get in the way of that.
Old 09.13.2007, 02:40 AM   #28
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
sebadoh have some great songs but none of their albums (to my mind) are particularly great all the way through. i can't imagine they'd be a particularly good live band either.
Bakesale? That was damn good.
Old 09.13.2007, 11:55 AM   #29
eatmychild
children of satan

eatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
BUBBLE & SCRAPE is their BEST fucking album! are you guys nuts? do you guys just like the pussy shit? are you all ridiculosuly clueless? BUBBLE & FUCKING SCRAPE!!! The very very very best of the freakouts! YOU ARE SO LUCKY!!!!! BUBBLE & SCRAPE has the very best crap from all three, the most awesome album, the one that makes me wanna KILL KILL KILLLLLLLLLLL

III is a good album but fuck that folky bullshit. we wanna ROCK and we wanna BUBBLE & SCRAPE !!!!

Rob you should treat yourself, bring the missus to grimey London and make a holiday out of it. You're the most enthusiastic Sebadoh fan I know of, and I'm sure you'd get a massive kick out of seeing it.
If not, I hope they do a show in the USA you can get to.
__________________________________________________ ________________
I am very excited about this show.
Old 10.15.2007, 08:07 PM   #30
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
I've just read on Lou's website there will be a Bubble and scrape reissue. Holy fuck !!
Bubble and Scrape is one of their best albums with Bakesale. A lot of good songs.
I also like Smash your head on the Punk Rock.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2007, 11:49 AM   #31
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
I think people have their own favorite Sebadoh albums, which really says alot. It shows that they do make some incredible records (or used to). It would be different if every Sebadoh fan said, "that album sucked, III was the best", but that's not the case...and thank goodness for that!

Bubble & Scrape wasn't my favorite, i think SMASH YR HEAD was my favorite personally.

It's rather odd that anyone would call BAKESALE their "most cohesive album" considering they recorded the album with 2 drummers with different styles. I found BAKESALE to be the start of the "LOU" vs "JASON" songs that were very different. Eric added his creativity to make both Lou & Jason's material more of a band. As soon as Eric left, Sebadoh albums just went downhill to the point where I even sold HARMACY because of disappointment and to this day I don't regret it much.

But on the other hand, while Sebadoh struggled creatively without Eric, Eric was atleast able to start writing his own songs again, which ended up being better material than Sebadoh's last several albums easy.

Sebadoh represents alot of change with what was going on in underground music. They were a breath of fresh air and creatively different than what was going on at the time. I loved T&G, Am/Rep, and other labels, but Sebadoh was about just putting thoughts down on tape and that's what makes them special. They were very impulsive earlier on and unpredictable at times. All of that left when Eric left.

Sebadoh also made me forget about Dinosaur Jr and remember how incredible DinoJr was with Lou Barlow (this, I think everyone can agree even if you despise Lou Barlow and/or Sebadoh).

I probably would not have picked this album for their DLB series, but it was probably because it was one of their most popular albums and the last full length effort with Eric all the way through (he left during Bakesale).

Sebadoh really inspired people to just put it down on tape and have done lots for many people, even Bill Callahan owes alot to Sebadoh (lou in particular).
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2007, 12:46 PM   #32
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
i love them allllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05.06.2008, 10:14 AM   #33
eatmychild
children of satan

eatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asses

Is anyone going tomorrow?
Anyone excited for some reason?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth