Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston @ the Bookmill, Montague Feb 27th
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.20.2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Autonomous Battleship & Mystra present

Thurston Moore(solo)
Ralph White
Ron Schneiderman/Andy Crespo duo

@ the Bookmill, Montague Feb 27th 8:00/$8

THURSTON is expected to play a rare acoustic set for this special event.

It's also the first night of RALPH WHITE's first 'real' US tour(though he's been playing forever..more info below)

Ron Schneiderman is a prime mover in the now famous SUNBURNED HAND OF THE MAN and runs an amazing label called 'Spirit Of Orr'. Andy Crespo is another local legend whose played in great area bands like BARN OWL & THE GUTTERS for dozens of years. This is a rare duo performance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
White was a member of well-loved punk bluegrass outfit Bad Livers but his solo work is possessed of a much more lonesome spark, Exaggerating the implied drone at the heart of the music of Dock Boggs and The Stanley Brothers. White plays wooden six-string banjo, violin, accordion and kalimba and his voice has a high, eerie quality to it that allows it to blend with the various primitive strategies that the music employs to reanimate traditional and original material alike. The use of kalimba situates aspects of the sound in some avant hillbilly fourth world, while the combination of dense matrices of string and White's transporting vocal is extremely psychedelic.
David Keenan - THE WIRE (Dec 3, 2008)//// ralphewhite.com

Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2009, 01:26 AM   #2
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
godamnit. id go to this if i wasnt seeing the swirlies in nyc. cool info
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2009, 09:56 AM   #3
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm seeing mv/ee and Marrisa Nadler that night
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2009, 12:41 AM   #4
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
stranger in a strange land

so last night matt and i put on clothes that weren't pajamas and left the house and went to the bookmill to see a show.

this is the bookmill:

this is who played:

he goes by ralph white, is a fixture of the austin scene, and plays the banjo, accordian, wooden banjo, fiddle and kalimbas. i was charmed and impressed.

oh, and thurston moore and kim gordon were there.

matt and i were in line to get beerz and they were in front of us, ordering dinner (she got beef stew, he got the sausage plate.) i felt weird and didn't know where to look. i didn't like the sweater kim gordon was wearing, but what can you expect from a woman in her forties who is designing a line for urban outfitters? the king of western mass played new sonic youth stuff that he only half knew, dropping the pages of lyrics and chord progressions that he had chosen to balance precariously on his knee. but he's thurston moore and this is western mass and it was a thirty person show at a bookstore, so i am in no way complaining, though he did have his sneakers laced in a bizarre, distracting way.

kim gordon sat behind me and matt and i wondered what she thought about my hair. but it was nice to hear the new stuff, even though it sounded a lot like the old stuff, and it was lovely to wear shoes and talk to strangers and drink delicious beer, and it was lovely to finally have a sonic youth sighting out here in glorious western, ma, even if i felt weird.

shows just kind of make me want to go home and eat carrot cake, so that's exactly what we did.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth