Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Music documentaries?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.18.2012, 02:58 AM   #61
Jef Mertens
100%

Jef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's asses
I'm working on this:
http://www.borbetomagusmovie.com/

Jef Mertens is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2012, 03:02 AM   #62
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Isn't there a fairly well known Manic Street Preachers doc? I'm not a fan of the band, really, but I'm interested in the bizarre story.

-------------->

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult

Louder Than War about the Manic Street Preachers playing a gig in Cuba is an interesting study on what it means to be a left-leaning rock band who routinely plays stadiums in the early part of the 21st century. Many here won't be fans of them, but I dont think you need to be to find it interesting.

It skips over the obvious ethical issues with being used by the Castro regime as propoganda tools, but there is a definite love for the culture and a regret about its inevitable decline that is touching. They also meet Castro and get all giddy

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2012, 07:28 PM   #63
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
-------------->

But is it about Richey's disappearance, or am I just imagining things? I thought there was something about it...
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2012, 02:57 AM   #64
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWVHw...ture=endscreen
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2012, 01:46 PM   #65
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
But is it about Richey's disappearance, or am I just imagining things? I thought there was something about it...

Nah thats not the one. the Cuba one was an official band one in 2000 or so.

there was one called "the disappearance of Richey Edwards" or something equally prosaic. Im sure I watched it on youtube before, but its not that interesting unless youre a big fan of Richey's/theirs. The story itself is depressingly straightforward. I saw a feature on the news about him this morning, this time of year is the anniversary of his disappearance i think.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2012, 01:15 PM   #66
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Here's another one for ya...COLOR ME OBSESSED...a Replacements documentary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfSbPLABCyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKIls...eature=related

And more...

The video below is from the January 18th, 1986 Saturday Night Live episode. This is the first Replacements performance of the night. They had just finished up the 'Tim' album and Sire got them a spot on SNL. The host that night was Harry Dean Stanton who had roles in Paris, Texas and Repo Man in the past few years and his performance in Pretty in Pink would be released in a few weeks. The Mats look pretty good in this perfomance, but legend has it they hit the champagne pretty hard before the next performance of the night.

http://redredwineonasunday.blogspot....-night_28.html

Enjoy!
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2012, 07:32 PM   #67
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Nah thats not the one. the Cuba one was an official band one in 2000 or so.

there was one called "the disappearance of Richey Edwards" or something equally prosaic. Im sure I watched it on youtube before, but its not that interesting unless youre a big fan of Richey's/theirs. The story itself is depressingly straightforward. I saw a feature on the news about him this morning, this time of year is the anniversary of his disappearance i think.

Sometimes I think he disappeared on purpose just to add to the band's legacy, or something.

If he did, I'll bet he was pissed when they proceeded to make shit Elton John pop records with no balls after he left.
Old 02.23.2012, 07:37 PM   #68
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
Here's another one for ya...COLOR ME OBSESSED...a Replacements documentary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfSbPLABCyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKIls...eature=related

And more...

The video below is from the January 18th, 1986 Saturday Night Live episode. This is the first Replacements performance of the night. They had just finished up the 'Tim' album and Sire got them a spot on SNL. The host that night was Harry Dean Stanton who had roles in Paris, Texas and Repo Man in the past few years and his performance in Pretty in Pink would be released in a few weeks. The Mats look pretty good in this perfomance, but legend has it they hit the champagne pretty hard before the next performance of the night.

http://redredwineonasunday.blogspot....-night_28.html

Enjoy!

Oooh! Replacements stuff! Dig it!

Coincidence because I just picked up "All For Nothing" at the library near where I work. I've been a 'Mats fan forever and never listened to it because I had all the albums and I didn't see the point.

It's actually not a bad little listen, though they really deserve a more comprehensive anthology-type thing.

Gotta love the 'Mats and Paul Westerberg's "sexy because it's so sincere" vocals, but I've always thought Tim was monstrously overrated.
Old 02.24.2012, 11:34 AM   #69
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Oooh! Replacements stuff! Dig it!

Coincidence because I just picked up "All For Nothing" at the library near where I work. I've been a 'Mats fan forever and never listened to it because I had all the albums and I didn't see the point.

It's actually not a bad little listen, though they really deserve a more comprehensive anthology-type thing.

Gotta love the 'Mats and Paul Westerberg's "sexy because it's so sincere" vocals, but I've always thought Tim was monstrously overrated.

Spend some more time with 'Tim' - seriously. I would rank the Mats' major output as follows:

1A. Let It Be
1B. Tim
3. Hootenanny
4. Pleased To Meet Me
5. Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash
6. All Shook Down
7. Don't Tell A Soul
8. Stink
Old 02.24.2012, 11:36 AM   #70
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
The cool thing about music docs, I just realized, is you don't really have to be a fan to enjoy the film.

A good story is a good story.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2012, 01:47 AM   #71
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Spend some more time with 'Tim' - seriously. I would rank the Mats' major output as follows:

1A. Let It Be
1B. Tim
3. Hootenanny
4. Pleased To Meet Me
5. Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash
6. All Shook Down
7. Don't Tell A Soul
8. Stink

I've spent only a wee bit less than 2 decades with Tim.

I love some of the songs, but others sound like a prelude to the Goo Goo Dolls and Soul Asylum. Tim has great songs, but it's not *the* Mats album. Let it Be is. But I'm more of a Mats-Song fan than a Mats-album fan. I like songs from all of their albums, but there are some albums that, on the whole, are not great.

Still a defining band of my youth. I'm not a hater. Westerberg's solo stuff is hit or miss too, but when it hits, it's jangle-pop bliss
Old 02.27.2012, 01:07 PM   #72
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Quote:
I've spent only a wee bit less than 2 decades with Tim.

I like songs from all of their albums, but there are some albums that, on the whole, are not great.

Fair enough. To me, the great 'Mats albums are Let It Be and Tim. The very good 'Mats albums are Hootenanny and Please To Meet Me. The rest are spotty, as you suggest...
Old 02.27.2012, 02:46 PM   #73
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Fair enough. To me, the great 'Mats albums are Let It Be and Tim. The very good 'Mats albums are Hootenanny and Please To Meet Me. The rest are spotty, as you suggest...

My favorites are Let it Be and (believe it or not) Pleased to Meet me and Sorry, Ma. I know they lost a whole shit-ton of their edge at the end there, but PTMM has some absolutely top notch pop songs. "Alex Chilton"...

But I have to admit that I sometimes got through phases of thinking the Replacements were don't belong in the category history has placed them. They're remembered alongside Husker Du and the Pixies, but while those bands influenced experimental pop and punk, the Replacements influenced a herd of faceless '90s "alternative pop" bands like Goo Goo Dolls.

But then I come back to my senses and remember that "Seen Your Video" is defiant rock and roll in perfect form. They WERE punk, even if Third Eye Blind and Matchbox 20 cite them as influences.

In any case, I'd say every album has its high points, and many have very low points, but they were still a great great band.

I also have been in love with Westerberg solo and Grandpaboy since Singles came out. I'm dating myself here, but it's true.
Old 02.27.2012, 03:25 PM   #74
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
My favorites are Let it Be and (believe it or not) Pleased to Meet me and Sorry, Ma. I know they lost a whole shit-ton of their edge at the end there, but PTMM has some absolutely top notch pop songs. "Alex Chilton"...

But I have to admit that I sometimes got through phases of thinking the Replacements were don't belong in the category history has placed them. They're remembered alongside Husker Du and the Pixies, but while those bands influenced experimental pop and punk, the Replacements influenced a herd of faceless '90s "alternative pop" bands like Goo Goo Dolls.

But then I come back to my senses and remember that "Seen Your Video" is defiant rock and roll in perfect form. They WERE punk, even if Third Eye Blind and Matchbox 20 cite them as influences.

In any case, I'd say every album has its high points, and many have very low points, but they were still a great great band.

I also have been in love with Westerberg solo and Grandpaboy since Singles came out. I'm dating myself here, but it's true.

Westerberg's released some crap in his time, but I totally know what you mean. I was hooked on "Waiting for Somebody" just like everyone else when that movie came out. Now I think the lyrics are of questionable quality, and I believe that movie was more of a mockery of grunge than anything else. A movie that was supposed to reflect the Seattle scene with Smashing Pumpkins and Westerberg songs on the soundtrack?

I do enjoy Paul's Stereo/Mono record, and think that some of the songs on the mono disc are 'Mats worthy. Others are complete sentimental shit, but still, "High Time" sounds like it could be a road-demo from the Tim tour.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2012, 03:55 AM   #75
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Autoluminescent. One of the finest music docos i've ever seen. It is about Rowland S howard
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2012, 05:31 PM   #76
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
I attended the opening night screening of Last Days Here (Pentagram/Bobby Leibling story) at Cinefamily/Silent Movie Theater last night, Mr. & Mrs. Bobby Leibling in attendance for Q&A w/ filmmakers and audience, along with original Pentagram drummer Geoff O'Keefe coming up from the audience for a reunion. Standing ovation. A really awesome rocknroll redemption story, dude comes back from the brink of death to jump start his career and have a family. Among the very best lost US early/proto metal bands, resurrected. Best music doc I've seen in a while. Go see it if you can.

http://www.cinefamily.org/films/last...-one-week-run/

trailer:

http://youtu.be/RwaYcp2uYLU
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2012, 06:29 AM   #77
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
cecil taylor (father of free jazz piano) documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sfiN9tvcbM&ob=av3e

real good. nice and only slightly unsettling getting to see him talk a lot.
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2012, 05:22 PM   #78
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses

i like music documentaries nowdays i'm watching this. very nice, raw, like punk should be.
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2013, 06:43 AM   #79
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
just watched this short documentary on Maher Shalal Hash Baz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TmkK...endscreen&NR=1

well worth it
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2013, 06:11 PM   #80
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
The trailer to "Voice -Sculpting Sound With Maja Ratkje" promises a lot of awesomeness. The project is in need of funds at the moment, though:

http://www.indiegogo.com/voice-themovie
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth