Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Music documentaries?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.16.2012, 08:09 PM   #41
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Understood. Why do you bother worrying if some people think it is a SY documentary then? I am just trying to work out what goes through that mind of yours.

Dissociative Internet Idendity Disorder?
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 08:11 PM   #42
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
But you have a point. Why would you even say that? It's clear from my phrasing that not only do I know it's not a doc, but that I've seen it. I said so.

I understand the compulsion to want to be a snot, believe me, but going so out of your way (and out of the path of logic) to look for an *in* is really not going to help you achieve anything.
Old 02.16.2012, 08:12 PM   #43
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I think in a way it is a documentary.
Old 02.16.2012, 08:17 PM   #44
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Dissociative Internet Idendity Disorder?

It's called being a vain cunt round here and there isn't a cure for it that I know of.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 08:20 PM   #45
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I think in a way it is a documentary.

You are a documentary.
Old 02.16.2012, 08:21 PM   #46
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
It's called being a vain cunt round here and there isn't a cure for it that I know of.

Don't be so hard on yourself.
Old 02.16.2012, 08:23 PM   #47
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You are a documentary.

Really? Go fuck yourself.
Old 02.16.2012, 08:29 PM   #48
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

You cant fuck a documentary, surely? unless you stick your dick in the DVD player but i have a feeling that enterprise is doomed to failure.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 08:33 PM   #49
gmku
invito al cielo

Hmm. Don't give me ideas.
Old 02.16.2012, 08:46 PM   #50
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Incidentally, the most boring music documentary ever made is the one that came on the bonus DVD to Mr Beast by Mogwai.

And lo, someone has posted it to youtube

Even someone who likes Mogwai cant help but be bored to death.

edit: Im not sure this is the thing that was on the DVD as that was about 45 minutes long, but it was so boring the first time around I cant be bothered to check.

Old 02.16.2012, 08:52 PM   #51
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
There's some Sonic Youth documentaries in addition to "1991: The Year Punk Broke", E. Noisefield. Right off the top of my head I can think of "Sleeping Nights Awake", by Michael Albright, about a concert in Reno, NV, during the "Rather Ripped" tour, with live footage filmed by students from Reno; critics have praised the film, but I haven't seen it so I can't share my own opinion. Would love a DVD release, and been expecting it to be announced every year, only to be disappointed. If you look around a little bit, maybe you will find "Sonic Youth: Innovators In Music", which was broadcast on Canadian TV a couple of years back, contains footage from a show in Kansas during the band's tour in support of "The Eternal" as well as interviews with Lee and Thurston in regards to the band's origin, approach to experimentation, influences (Glenn Branca, Rhys Chatham...), methods of composition, and the longevity of Sonic Youth. If you do find download links in the board, don't get too excited; they should have become useless with the death of Megaupload. It still might be out there somewhere, though. Also, did you forget to mention "Put Blood In The Music"? C'mon, E. Noisefield, don't you tell me you haven't seen that one, man. Another one which I bet you will find on youboob: "20 Years Of Sonic Youth"....

If you are looking for documentaries with participation by members of Sonic Youth, there's a bunch as well. I can mention just a few: "William S. Burroughs: A Man Within", Celine Dahnier's "Blank City" (released on DVD just a few days ago), Luc Peters' "Record Player: Christian Marclay" (available for streaming at ubuweb), Emmon Hassan's "Guitarkadia Presents: Chasing Buster Keaton", Angélique Bosio's "Llik Yr Idols", Olivier Assayas' "Noise: A Film By Olivier Assayas" (including clips of live performances by Text Of Light, and Mirror/Dash among others), "Send And Receive: Ten Years Of Sound", and so on and so forth.... Another one which interests me is Stuart Ginsberg's "Wednesdays at A's-A documentary about Arleen Schloss" even though it's currently on post-production. Keeping in mind that Sonic Youth as a live act pretty much started at A's, I think there might be some nice treats included for Sonic Youth fans as well as for those interested in Arleen Schloss' art, but who knows...
Old 02.16.2012, 09:45 PM   #52
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
There's some Sonic Youth documentaries in addition to "1991: The Year Punk Broke", E. Noisefield. Right off the top of my head I can think of "Sleeping Nights Awake", by Michael Albright, about a concert in Reno, NV, during the "Rather Ripped" tour, with live footage filmed by students from Reno; critics have praised the film, but I haven't seen it so I can share my own opinion. Would love a DVD release, and been expecting it to be announced every year, only to be disappointed. If you look around a little bit, maybe you will find "Sonic Youth: Innovators In Music", which was broadcast on Canadian TV a couple of years back, contains footage from a show in Kansas during the band's tour in support of "The Eternal" as well as interviews with Lee and Thurston in regards to the band's origin, approach to experimentation, influences (Glenn Branca, Rhys Chatham...), methods of composition, and the longevity of Sonic Youth. If you do find download links in the board, don't get too excited; they should have become useless with the death of Megaupload. It still might be out there somewhere, though. Also, did you forget to mention "Put Blood In The Music"? C'mon, E. Noisefield, don't you tell me you haven't seen that one, man. Another one which I bet you will find on youboob: "20 Years Of Sonic Youth"....

If you are looking for documentaries with participation by members of Sonic Youth, there's a bunch as well. I can mention just a few: "William S. Burroughs: A Man Within", Celine Dahnier's "Blank City" (released on DVD just a few days ago), Luc Peters' "Record Player: Christian Marclay" (available for streaming at ubuweb), Emmon Hassan's "Guitarkadia Presents: Chasing Buster Keaton", Angélique Bosio's "Llik Yr Idols", Olivier Assayas' "Noise: A Film By Olivier Assayas" (including clips of live performances by Text Of Light, and Mirror/Dash among others), "Send And Receive: Ten Years Of Sound", and so on and so forth.... Another one which interests me is Stuart Ginsberg's "Wednesdays at A's-A documentary about Arleen Schloss" even though it's currently on post-production. Keeping in mind that Sonic Youth as a live act pretty much started at A's, I think there might be some nice treats included for Sonic Youth fans as well as for those interested in Arlen Schloss' art, but who knows...

Ah, you're right. I did forget Put Blood in! I also think I've seen 20 years of, but I'm not sure, I'll have to look it up. I will look for the others you mentioned. Thanks a ton, hun!
Old 02.16.2012, 10:25 PM   #53
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I am going to see Sleeping Nights Awake in two weeks

Quote:
Ah, you're right. I did forget Put Blood in! I also think I've seen 20 years of, but I'm not sure, I'll have to look it up. I will look for the others you mentioned. Thanks a ton, hun!
Old 02.16.2012, 11:05 PM   #54
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
I'm jealous and happy for you at the same time.
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2012, 06:01 AM   #55
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Some kind of monster was quite funny, in a laughing at rich rockstars behaving like suburban housewives kind of way.

Old 02.17.2012, 06:31 AM   #56
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:

you're the film of my life, the tv series of my dreams. baby, let's get it on.
Old 02.17.2012, 06:35 AM   #57
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Don't be so hard on yourself.

I try, but this emptiness I feel doesn't seem to know limits.
Old 02.17.2012, 07:36 AM   #58
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I saw the trailer. I know it was done by high school students but the audio was really bad in 'Do you Believe in Rapture'. There is a serious lack of tone in the guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
I'm jealous and happy for you at the same time.
Old 02.17.2012, 08:39 PM   #59
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
there is always the classic

keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2012, 01:42 AM   #60
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Isn't there a fairly well known Manic Street Preachers doc? I'm not a fan of the band, really, but I'm interested in the bizarre story.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth